Jörg Jaksche: Doping, hypocrisy and a dog called Bella - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 09-04-12, 13:56

Default Jörg Jaksche: Doping, hypocrisy and a dog called Bella

Great article in features about (eventually) coming clean.

As usual it sounds like the UCI tried to sweep things under the carpet.
Quote:
There were no further questions and to Jaksche’s knowledge, no further investigations were made by the UCI into any of the individuals or teams that he’d implicated.

“This is how you have to deal with the UCI. They try and protect their sport but they don’t know how to do that. They think that a sport without scandal is a clean sport and they have so many misleading people in their federation. There are so many cadavers. It’s like having a dead body in your basement festering away and going bad. That’s how the UCI treat doping. They gave me no hope and I felt worse treated by the UCI than if I hadn’t confessed and told them my story. It wasn’t the reaction I was hoping to get."

McQuaid said this and that but they would have liked me to have handled things differently. I don’t really know what they meant by that.”

Last edited by Don't be late Pedro; 09-04-12 at 14:14. Reason: Article from features and not news
Old 09-04-12, 14:05

why Millar, Dekker and not Jaksche?
Quote:
HTC and Slipstream were among the teams he tried to approach but for whatever reason, whether it was his doping past, his confession or his talent, they chose to ignore him.

And recall JV lauding Riis in the recent bicycling interview as one of the anti-doping crusaders of this era at the same level as Kimmage?
Me thinks Daniel Benson is more on the mark:
Quote:
Hypocrisy was rife in cycling in the wake of Puerto. Bjarne Riis, Alexandre Vinokourov and an endless list of individuals vilified Jaksche claims.
Old 09-04-12, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
Doesn't Millar part own Garmin? Not sure about Dekker.

It is interesting that he says
Quote:
But I wouldn’t be happy if I’d lied and then confessed something that wasn’t the whole truth and say I’m an anti-doping crusader.
Wonder if that is aimed at Millar or just a generalisation?
Old 09-04-12, 14:13

absolutely baffling stuff regarding UCI 'welcoming' Jaksche's confession.
Not that we didn't know, but great to read about it on the CN frontpage.
bravo Daniel Benson (and JJ of course)
Old 09-04-12, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't be late Pedro View Post
It is interesting that he says
Wonder if that is aimed at Millar or just a generalisation?
sounds like Millar alright.
Old 09-04-12, 14:22

or Vaughters, or Riis.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 09-04-12, 14:25

This article, coupled with various riders (Arvesen & Sastre) commenting on Riis, is the start of pro cyclings current 'cover our ar**'s' campaign.

I'd like to feel sorry for any clean riders involved, I'd be even more interested to know if there were any.............. Sastre maybe? 'tarred with the same brush' comes to mind.
Old 09-04-12, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post

And recall JV lauding Riis in the recent bicycling interview as one of the anti-doping crusaders of this era at the same level as Kimmage?
Me thinks Daniel Benson is more on the mark:
JV didn't really laud Riis as an anti-doping crusader. He mentioned him as one of the ex-pros who, by confessing, had paved the road he was walking on with his own confession.

Anyway, massive respect for Jaksche. He was one of my favourite riders, and I was glad to see he had more of a moral compass than most in the sport.
Old 09-04-12, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
JV didn't really laud Riis as an anti-doping crusader. He mentioned him as one of the ex-pros who, by confessing, had paved the road he was walking on with his own confession.

Anyway, massive respect for Jaksche. He was one of my favourite riders, and I was glad to see he had more of a moral compass than most in the sport.
you're right, but it shows poor analytical skills if you name Riis in one breath with Kimmage, Landis and Jaksche, like JV did.
There are oceans between Riis and the other three and JV knows it but prefers to abide by the omerta.
Old 09-04-12, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post

IIRC, somewhere circa 2007 Vaughters praised Riis' anti-doping program.

Never mind that CSC still ended up as the best PT team.