Best rider of this year (2012)? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Best rider of the year?
B.Wiggins 94 35.34%
J.Rodriguez 104 39.10%
T.Boonen 43 16.17%
Vino 12 4.51%
other 13 4.89%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
If people will persist on omitting her from the poll, people will persist in giving her write-in votes, because she's worthy.

I also considered nominating Alessandro Zanardi. Not as the absolute #1 rider of the year, but I'd probably put him in the top 10 or 20.
The thing with elite women is the incredibly HUGE gap with elite men in terms of almost EVERYTHING, starting with the budget and ending with the actual performances length and whatever.

If anything, the comparison should be more with the ESPOIRS, which says a lot...

Talking about REAL pro riders, I'm going with Purito. Impressive all year long.
Old 09-29-12, 16:28

NO Pippo_San I absolutely DO NOT AGREE although I do DIG your USE of CAPITAL LETTERS to make a POINT

I would consider voting BOONEN because winning TWO MONUMENTS is NO MEAN FEAT but RODRIGUEZ and WIGGINS both had AMAZING years as well with WIGGINS OPEN BRACKETS topping the CQ EFFICIENCY ALL TIME RANKING thanks to winning ALMOST EVERY RACE HE ENTERED including the TOUR DE FRANCE or as our favourite forum user ECHOES would say the BORE THE FRANCE CLOSE BRACKETS and PURITO winning A MONUMENT and podiuming TWO GRAND TOURS so it's really HARD TO CALL in my opinion
Old 09-29-12, 16:29

Quote:
If people will persist on omitting her from the poll, people will persist in giving her write-in votes, because she's worthy.

I also considered nominating Alessandro Zanardi. Not as the absolute #1 rider of the year, but I'd probably put him in the top 10 or 20.
people ommit her from the bloody polls because they are not meticulous, fussy, ignorant donks. fact.
Old 09-29-12, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
It's the professional road racing forum.
fair enough. still best rider of the year in bursting that guys bubble though.
Old 09-29-12, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
It's the professional road racing forum.
Isnt Kenny starting Paris Tours
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 09-29-12, 16:35

Quote:

I don't know how to say this... a lot of people simply don't care a lot about women's cycling.
Old 09-29-12, 16:43

Womens BMX is were its at, forget road pro cycling.
Old 09-29-12, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenswan View Post
people ommit her from the bloody polls because they are not meticulous, fussy, ignorant donks. fact.
It's ok not to care. But don't attack those that do.

People omit her from the polls, either out of ignorance, of forgetfulness, or out of not considering her achievements to be worthy of mention given the difference in calibre of competition.

Ignorance can be corrected; forgetfulness is something that happens to all of us. The latter is a matter of opinion. My opinion clearly differs to yours on the matter. I don't see how saying "a woman is, in my opinion, the best cyclist of the year" makes me any more ignorant than you for saying "wah wah somebody voted for somebody I don't care about".

If that were all it takes I'd be sideswiping the Cavendish discussion thread with Godwin's Law every five minutes.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 09-29-12, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I don't know how to say this... a lot of people simply don't care a lot about women's cycling.
Correct.

However:

- Considering her achievements less worthy because of lesser competition is a matter of opinion and a fair argument.
- Considering her achievements less worthy because of not caring is a matter of ignorance and stupidity. I don't care about golf. Does that mean that, when putting together polls for best sportsman of the year, golfers shouldn't be considered?

There are many legitimate reasons for saying that Wiggins, or Rodríguez, or Boonen, or hell, even Contador, should be considered rider of the year ahead of Marianne Vos. But the argument I responded to, i.e. "I want people to stop mentioning Vos", is NOT one of them.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 09-29-12, 16:49

Thank you Libertine. You are cool too.