Le Tour de France 2013: who will win? - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Tour
Alberto Contador 61 63.54%
Cristopher Froome 25 26.04%
Andy Schleck 6 6.25%
Vincenzo Nibali 2 2.08%
Cadel Evans / Teehay Van Garderen 2 2.08%
Ryder Hesjedal 1 1.04%
Alejandro Valverde / Juan Jose Cobo 1 1.04%
Other (specify) 1 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-12, 21:41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
+ 1000 (10char)
Thanks for another reasoned opinion. One of 7000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru
Froome, as has been mentioned, is still finding his way, impressively, to the top step of a grand tour podium. While the Tour was an impressive performance by him, I have to continously remind you of who wasn't there (Contador, Andy Schleck,), of who was there but not at their best (Evans, Valverde), and those that crashed out (Hesjedal, Frank Schleck, Samu) all of which could have altered the eventual outcome. Froome himself indicated during (or after) the Vuelta that the constant attacks/changes in rhythm dictated by Contador, Purito and Valverde put him in a bit of difficulty. Is one within reason to anticipate the same or even more so at the Tour? Van Garderan and Pinot will likely be improved which could be worrisome for Sky in the mountains. They won't have the same one-two punch if Wiggins does the Giro with the intention of winning it.
You vastly overrate factor palmares and winning experience. It give a few points, but rarely becomes crucial. Besides, people like to dwell on stereotypes and improvized wonderland of domination. Contador and Schleck were untouchably strongest climbers in 2010. All is flux, nothing stays still. All hierarchies and relations of forces are flexible like material. Froome didn't beat Evans and Valverde in the Tour — he incinerated, bulldozed them, working for Wiggins and not showing what he was really capable of. And to suppose that he is anyway weaker than Contador and Schleck just because they weren't there is kind of reluctance to handle new things.

Why do you think Froome is so dependent on team like Wiggins. To me, Peña Cabarga and Planche des Belles Filles convincingly showed the man can drop anyone. Disagree?

Last edited by airstream; 11-07-12 at 22:00.
Old 11-07-12, 22:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Thanks for another reasoned opinion. One of 7000.

You vastly overrate factor palmares and winning experience. It give a few points, but rarely becomes crucial. Besides, people like to dwell on stereotypes and improvized wonderland of domination. Contador and Schleck were untouchably strongest climbers in 2010. All is flux, nothing stays still. All hierarchies and relations of forces are flexible like material. Froome didn't beat Evans and Valverde in the Tour — he incinerated, bulldozed them, working for Wiggins and not showing what he was really capable of. And to suppose that he is anyway weaker than Contador and Schleck just because they weren't there is kind of reluctance to handle new things.

Why do you think Froome is so dependent on team like Wiggins. To me, Peña Cabarga and Planche des Belles Filles convincingly showed the man can drop anyone. Disagree?

A 3/4 fit Contador bulldozered Froome a few months ago. Dismantled him. Contador/Schleck going at it after their respective teams have destroyed the Sky train and Froome is nowhere.

Disagree? I would like to hear your informed opinion why you think Froome can drop Contadorin particular, given it was only a few months ago he was swiped aside as an irrelevance against him.
Old 11-07-12, 22:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
[/B]

A 3/4 fit Contador bulldozered Froome a few months ago. Dismantled him. Contador/Schleck going at it after their respective teams have destroyed the Sky train and Froome is nowhere.

Disagree? I would like to hear your informed opinion why you think Froome can drop Contadorin particular, given it was only a few months ago he was swiped aside as an irrelevance against him.
I strongly disagree. Despite on sameness of results everyonce in a while, it is the sport in which very subtle details may rock the boat to one of the sides. About what 75% can we talk in cycling where seconds decide a GT winner now and again??? I don't want to draw clinic parallels, but lack of 25% is a gulf. Cosmos. Imo relatively speaking there were a 99% Contador and 101% Purito that overturned picture so drastically. When you talk about 75% fitness, you sort of take Purito's (Valverde's) right to progress as compared with Сontador and reduce the gap. But heck they are all human beings and nothing is permanent. I just offer to put up with it at least.

I don't try to belittle Contador's attacking bearing-down in the Vuelta, but Froome wouldn't have won the race, even if Contador hadn't participated and everyone sees it. His result rather characterizes his inability to ride 2 GTs the same way [which is completely normal because nowadays guys can not drive in hematocrit up to 70 as it happened 15-20 years ago] than his weakness against climbing in an antsy way. The last is totally far-fetched.

Last edited by airstream; 11-07-12 at 22:53.
Old 11-07-12, 22:51

Airstream is supporting Froome now is it just to troll (since you said you dont know what a troll is) is it just to argue with velascos's fans?
Old 11-07-12, 23:04
Banned

airstream is trying to look into the matter without redundant dramatism.. and fanatism.
Old 11-07-12, 23:06

to-may-to, to-mah-to.
Old 11-08-12, 01:41

I shall say one of Contador or Froome.

The first week also does not seem hard enough but riders like Evans must be considered. Him, Andy, Nibali (if he rides) and Samu are most likely to make the podium.

I also hope Rolland, Pinot, TJVG, Hesjedal and Valverde can go well.
If Scarponi cannot ride the Giro i also think he could go well here.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-08-12, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
[/B]

Evans made Contador **** on Galibier once too.

Terrible analysis to consider a consecutive GT to be peak form.

Froome must be desperately hoping Bart de Clercq doesn't ride the Tour next year, given how they were trading blows at the end of the Vuelta.

Last edited by Ferminal; 11-08-12 at 01:47.
Old 11-08-12, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I strongly disagree. Despite on sameness of results everyonce in a while, it is the sport in which very subtle details may rock the boat to one of the sides. About what 75% can we talk in cycling where seconds decide a GT winner now and again??? I don't want to draw clinic parallels, but lack of 25% is a gulf. Cosmos. Imo relatively speaking there were a 99% Contador and 101% Purito that overturned picture so drastically. When you talk about 75% fitness, you sort of take Purito's (Valverde's) right to progress as compared with Сontador and reduce the gap. But heck they are all human beings and nothing is permanent. I just offer to put up with it at least.

I don't try to belittle Contador's attacking bearing-down in the Vuelta, but Froome wouldn't have won the race, even if Contador hadn't participated and everyone sees it. His result rather characterizes his inability to ride 2 GTs the same way [which is completely normal because nowadays guys can not drive in hematocrit up to 70 as it happened 15-20 years ago] than his weakness against climbing in an antsy way. The last is totally far-fetched.
For once I kind of agree with you. I think Froome's form at the Tour was kind of overrated however, on la toussuire he struggled to follow Wiggins initially after Nibali attacked for a second time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Red Rick. Road Race forum MVP 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
#RedRick4RCSRaceDirector.
Old 11-08-12, 07:34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rick View Post
For once I kind of agree with you. I think Froome's form at the Tour was kind of overrated however, on la toussuire he struggled to follow Wiggins initially after Nibali attacked for a second time
And what? Everything is measured by perfect form and a rider is not entitled to feel difficulty for 10-15 seconds as Froome did or what? What's the difference if then Froome kept himself together and was ready to sprint on the finish line? Damn, how dare you talk about 'overrated form' when the guy worked on the front so much? Anyone who works so much is doomed to drop from the wheel almost always. Absolutely anyone. Even the most dreamlike mountain domestique like say Heras in 2002.