Who will win 2013 GIRO? - Page 36 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win 2013 GIRO?
Nibali 90 32.03%
Rodriguez 29 10.32%
Hesjedal 16 5.69%
Basso 9 3.20%
Wiggins 106 37.72%
Scarponi 2 0.71%
Others 29 10.32%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-12, 14:59

The question is who was Ryder Hesjedal before the 2012 Giro and if Rodriguez ever had the opportunity for win a GT? Also a "GT rider" like Thomas De Gendt with win options... Please.

Last edited by Jason_Mercier; 11-27-12 at 15:06.
Old 11-27-12, 15:03

We'll see this year. But dont get surprised if Ryder Hesjedal finishes more than 6 minutes after Wiggins in the final GC.
Old 11-27-12, 15:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
They could ride faster in case someone could have shaken the race a bit. But to say they were weak is ridiculous.
Agreed. After all, how can we know how strong was Purito (Giro version) compared to Purito (Vuelta version)? We have no means to compare him. I can't find the data now, but when I looked at it the VAMs in the Giro were far from being poor.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 11-27-12, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
The question is who was Ryder Hesjedal before the 2012 Giro and if Rodriguez ever had the opportunity for win a GT?
He was just a Canadian cyclist riding for Garmin and Purito will have a great opportunity to win a GT if he chooses to ride the right GTs.
Old 11-27-12, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I think people underrate the general level of this year's Giro because of 2 facts maybe:
- a new guy won;
- to elevate the Vuelta even more.
. Yes, the riders behaved too cautiously because everyone felt he's not stronger or stronger not that much to get away. They could ride faster in case someone could have shaken the race a bit. But to say they were weak is ridiculous.
It just seems impossible to me that Hesjedal would have been able to follow the amazing Spanish threesome in the Vuelta. Just a feeling.
Old 11-27-12, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
He was just a Canadian cyclist riding for Garmin and Purito will have a great opportunity to win a GT if he chooses to ride the right GTs.
You mean the "Vuelta a los Muros de Espaņa"? Dont see Purito with opportunities in the Giro one more time. First because of the age. Second because of the new GT's context.
Old 11-27-12, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
It just seems impossible to me that Hesjedal would have been able to follow the amazing Spanish threesome in the Vuelta. Just a feeling.
Those guys made it into their own "club race" everybody elses was relegated to spectator status.. Would not be any different for Hesjedal.
Old 11-27-12, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
You mean the "Vuelta a los Muros de Espaņa"? Dont see Purito with opportunities in the Giro one more time. First because of the age. Second because of the new GT's context.
Bonus points (20 for 1st place) for all stages in the Giro ring a bell? His window of opportunity is reducing, but he should be able to keep a similar shape for next year.
Old 11-27-12, 15:26
Administrator

Quote:
Meh. Purito made it, so why not Hesjedal.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 11-27-12, 15:29
Banned

Quote:
If he were fresh? He wouldn't, but he would have defended very decently. People just often says Purito allegedly vastly improved compared to the Giro. Personally I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar
I can't find the data now, but when I looked at it the VAMs in the Giro were far from being poor.
I heard the Vuelta VAMs were weak. Yes, Contador often calmed down after unsuccessful attacks. But the Giro is not different in this regard. By and large the race was uncovered once on Pampeago.

Last edited by airstream; 11-27-12 at 15:43.