Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-14-13, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Why do you even need a famous designer to develop a GT jersey? It's all pink with sponsor logos. Where can I apply for this easy money job?
I've been wondering the same. Both the shape and the colour of the thing are pretty given so... I guess all there is to design is placement of the logos...
Old 01-14-13, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
You regard cycling as disconnected from reality, however these jersey designers have to keep the sponsor's color scheme in mind. Apparently black, blue, and white is the new thing in business land.
That's as may be, but you can still do things with those three colours to be noticeable and different. I'm sure Blanco will be easier to spot than most. Sky, by getting rid of that stupid white block on the back, have improved their jerseys 1000%, because they might be distinguishable from the rest of the morass in the helicam shots now with the one thick stripe down the middle of the all-black kit. Colnago-CSF used blue and white with a kit that looked stylish from the front and, with the all-light-blue back, was also easily spotted.

While the sponsors' colours may lend themselves to a bland corporate kit designed solely with the press conference in mind (hey, not everybody can be Liquigas or Euskaltel), you can still do something with those colours to make yourself noticeable and get your name mentioned on air. Hopefully they have like, a neon blue helmet or something that makes them stand out. A bit like how before this upcoming season, Movistar were recognisable not because of the fairly generic dark blue kit that blended in with a lot of the others in bad weather on the helicam, but because they had those neon green helmets that made them easy to spot.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 01-14-13, 22:23

The funny thing is, when they didn't have any famous designer to make the jersey back in 2003&2004 there was just much more design in the jersey than now

Last edited by staubsauger; 01-14-13 at 22:32.
Old 01-14-13, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadDane View Post
I've been wondering the same. Both the shape and the colour of the thing are pretty given so... I guess all there is to design is placement of the logos...
Paul Smith is a big cycling fan, his studio is littered with bicycles. He has done a few things with Rapha, who as we know is the kit sponsor of team sky now.

Team Sky won the tour with Bradley Wiggins, who has shot to fame because of his accomplishments.

The giro has tried hard to entice Wiggins to race, as part of them trying to "internationalise" their event.

Wiggins is British, and in Britain there has been a big rise in the popularity of cycling lately, due to Cavendish and Wiggins being right at the top.

Paul Smith is also British, which ties into their "Internationalisation", which ties perfectly into their marketing and promotion strategy, which will give more value to them in the regions they are trying to promote in than someone like Armani rolling out the kit.

Thats why the Italians need a British designer to do the Maglia Rosa. Also, even the most managed style guide needs a designer to interpret it in some way, so why not get one that gives you maximum exposure.

all in all, great move by the organisers.
Old 01-15-13, 07:58

Quote:
The devil is in the details .
Old 01-15-13, 08:50

Maybe... maybe they'd order the sponsor logos in a way so that they'd have a hidden message!
Old 01-15-13, 09:35

Quote:
By the same token, no one will ever have to design a tuxedo again...
Old 01-16-13, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
That's as may be, but you can still do things with those three colours to be noticeable and different. I'm sure Blanco will be easier to spot than most. Sky, by getting rid of that stupid white block on the back, have improved their jerseys 1000%, because they might be distinguishable from the rest of the morass in the helicam shots now with the one thick stripe down the middle of the all-black kit. Colnago-CSF used blue and white with a kit that looked stylish from the front and, with the all-light-blue back, was also easily spotted.

While the sponsors' colours may lend themselves to a bland corporate kit designed solely with the press conference in mind (hey, not everybody can be Liquigas or Euskaltel), you can still do something with those colours to make yourself noticeable and get your name mentioned on air. Hopefully they have like, a neon blue helmet or something that makes them stand out. A bit like how before this upcoming season, Movistar were recognisable not because of the fairly generic dark blue kit that blended in with a lot of the others in bad weather on the helicam, but because they had those neon green helmets that made them easy to spot.
Sky improved? Are you kidding??
All that black just soaks up the heat, whereas white reflects some of it out.
Sky 10 suffered like dogs in the Tour (I think it was one of the hottest on record). In 11 Bradley had to win the national champs just so he could wear a whiter shirt. By 12, they had included more white so he didn't need to upset his training progamme and ride the nationals.
I am amazed that Brialsford has let this step backwards go ahead: maybe they are going to tone it down for 13 right enough
Old 01-16-13, 14:19

I don't think the other Paul Smith Giro jerseys were posted here yet

I love the white one!
Old 01-16-13, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
I am amazed that Brialsford has let this step backwards go ahead: maybe they are going to tone it down for 13 right enough
I am sure Rapha with their marketing machinery will come up with a different design for the Tour.