Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 10-29-12, 22:47

Argos will be really good April/May/June.
Old 10-29-12, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
True... I just don't think they do much for the sport (excitement wise). The bright side however is they have some riders who are will be fun to watch:

Deg, Barguil, Ludvigsson, & Rensburg, oh and Ardnt

Kittel is kinda boring for obvious reasons, but he's very anti-doping which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
Old 10-29-12, 23:02
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
I concur.Not sure if i am reading too much into things here but are some people not overly impressed with Argos? Is Degenkolb just another sprinter?? If anyone asks Cavendish or Matt Goss their view on Degenkolb, i think you'll find he's held in pretty high esteem,perhaps overshadowed by the emergence of Sagan but he can win more than Vuelta sprints,a future classic winner in my view,guaranteed.Would put my mortgage on it.
Old 10-29-12, 23:07

Degenkolb is held in really high esteem for good reason, but it doesn't mean we should be excited to have this team that can already get invited to all the races it wants anyway go World Tour and bore up a bunch more events. I'm not impressed with Argos not because they don't have good riders, but because they add absolutely zero value to races.

They'll get loads of points anyway. There are a massive amount of races that are easy pickings for a second tier sprinter, and whichever of Kittel and Degenkolb doesn't do the main event races will easily be the pick of the bunch at the second tier races, so they'll pick up a bunch of ranking points the same way André Greipel did in 2009-10.

I hope for more from Degenkolb in the vein of his Paris-Tours ride. That was great.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 10-29-12, 23:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Degenkolb is held in really high esteem for good reason, but it doesn't mean we should be excited to have this team that can already get invited to all the races it wants anyway go World Tour and bore up a bunch more events. I'm not impressed with Argos not because they don't have good riders, but because they add absolutely zero value to races.

They'll get loads of points anyway. There are a massive amount of races that are easy pickings for a second tier sprinter, and whichever of Kittel and Degenkolb doesn't do the main event races will easily be the pick of the bunch at the second tier races, so they'll pick up a bunch of ranking points the same way André Greipel did in 2009-10.

I hope for more from Degenkolb in the vein of his Paris-Tours ride. That was great.
I stand corrected,what everyone is really saying is that their squad doesn't yet have the depth required in all facets to be worthy of WT status.Who's the two best teams to get the nod for the fans then? FDJ/Saxo?
Old 10-30-12, 12:24

Did anybody see Saxo Bank last year? No, I did not see them eather. They have Contador, but is one rider enough for WT? It's Geox all over again: it's not a bad team, but it will be such a shame to send this squad to the Giro, to Ronde van Vlaanderen, to every race Contador does not compete in.

Argos won't be in the top 5 of LBL eather, but in most stage-races and non-mountain classics they have more to ride for them FDJ, AG2R and Cofidis combined.

Does anybody know more about Lotto and FDJ? They got a license for 2013 but why does everybody assume they won't be kicked out?
Old 10-30-12, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post
Did anybody see Saxo Bank last year? No, I did not see them eather. They have Contador, but is one rider enough for WT? It's Geox all over again: it's not a bad team, but it will be such a shame to send this squad to the Giro, to Ronde van Vlaanderen, to every race Contador does not compete in.
You have some reading to do in the transfer thread.
Old 10-30-12, 12:35

Quote:
No we didn't see much of Saxo Bank last year. But this year they've got Contador, Kreuziger, Bennati, Roche, Breschel and Zaugg added to their lineup.
Old 10-30-12, 12:37

Quote:

Argos won't be in the top 5 of LBL eather, but in most stage-races and non-mountain classics they have more to ride for them FDJ, AG2R and Cofidis combined.

Does anybody know more about Lotto and FDJ? They got a license for 2013 but why does everybody assume they won't be kicked out?
Contador, Bennati, kreuziguer, roche, majka, breschel, Zaugg and Kump to name a few riders they signed. Overall with Saxo's new signings they will bring a much better and more complete team to the world tour than they other teams like Argos. They will be able to be competitive in a lot more races than Argos will be also.
Old 10-30-12, 13:24

Outside of Kittel and Degenkolb, Argos is a poor man's Greenedge. The team just shows what is wrong with the ranking system, when they would be ahead of Saxo even with Bert...
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up