Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-08-12, 06:36

The 32-year-old was struck on Crow Orchard Road in Wrightington, Lancashire, as a woman driving a white Vauxhall Astra van pulled out of a BP petrol station.

She was heard to say afterwards: I cant believe it. Of all the people to hit, bloody Bradley Wiggins.

The rumours that it was Chris Froome;s girlfriend driving the van are yet to be substansiated.....
they told us our hero has played his trump card he doesn't know how to go on, we're clinging to his charm and determined smile, but the good old days are gone........ were gonna get burned, burned.....
Old 11-08-12, 06:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimobici View Post
No, far from it. It is just a little strange that a fulltime professional athlete would be out that late at this time of year.
Sounds like he was meeting for a night time mountain bike run. Night rodes are quite common in north of England
Old 11-08-12, 06:49

Quote:
No, far from it. It is just a little strange that a fulltime professional athlete would be out that late at this time of year.
Perhaps he's started cycling in the dark to avoid attention from fans...

Hope he'll have a speedy recovery, would be a shame if this crash somehow affects his season next year.
Old 11-08-12, 07:45

When i go for a ride it is usually in the evening and night time but i am no pro. You have to be very careful esp as i live in a big city where drivers have no manners.
Old 11-08-12, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilts rover View Post
“I can’t believe it. Of all the people to hit, bloody Bradley Wiggins.”
Yeah, next time drive into someone else!

Quote:
Depends on what country you're in. In Holland it's perfectly normal to ride your bike at night (but that's because over here it's used mostly for commuting rather than sports )
Old 11-08-12, 08:02

I'm no fan, but as one cyclist to another, I hope he's not too badly injured.

Maybe this story can be used to draw attention to dangerous driving in the UK.
Old 11-08-12, 08:13

can someone explain to me why wiggins is riding his bike at 18:00 in early november? not that I'm complaining though
Old 11-08-12, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
can someone explain to me why wiggins is riding his bike at 18:00 in early november? not that I'm complaining though
As people have already on here, perhaps he prefers riding in the dark so he can just get on with riding. Perhaps he was busy during the morning/afternoon yesterday so could only ride his bike last evening.

Riding during the evening is common in alot of countries.
Old 11-08-12, 09:10

When reading an article about this in the mainstream press (i.e. Yahoo UK), I was simply shocked at all the negative comments. Instead of wishing their TDF/Olympic champ a speedy recovery, it seems that most people are thinking along these lines:

...not all bike rider are as arrogant, but in my experience most are...most accidents involving bikes is the riders direct fault and stupidity.

The only certainty is that our roads are not fit for both cars and cycles.

most cyclists are a nuisance on the road

If cars and motorcycles need insurance to be on the road (and horses?) then bikes need insurance.

This is just round the corner from my gym - where I ride the static bikes because it is too dangerous to ride on the narrow local country roads.

Kind of depressing isn't it?
Old 11-08-12, 09:50

Just read that he had to limp after his wife in order to stop her from telling the driver a thing or two or just beat 'em up...
Despite the seriousness of the situation I can't help finding that thoughts of that scene just bloody hillarious!