women are right! - Page 14 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 11-17-12, 14:11
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Hillarious
for your information. sevilla is doped to the moon in colombia. I wouldn't take his results there very seriously. but when he went outside of colombia like in utah, he was better than guys like danielson. so he isn't very bad either and no doubt in the best shape of his life.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-17-12, 14:15
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
American races aren't high level, the ones in the USA at least. The French guys haven't won an ASO race in years(LBL, FW, Roubaix, Paris-Nice, Criterium du Dauphiné, Paris-Tours and the Tour de France). Although yes, they are often much better in the Tour than the rest of the season, but that's just one race and not even for the overall. Portuguese are dominating Portuguese cycling because most of the field is Portuguese... Ergo not of a very high level.

Belgians haven't won many LBLs or FW, and that's because those races are of the highest level and have an international field. Home-turf advantage is brought to a minimum then.

The level in South-America doesn't come close to the level in Europe, hence according to Ryo's logic he should hate it.

By the way, Farnese Vini is a small team.

Tour de San Luis is probably the race with the best international field last few years in South-America...
I like climbing and the level of climbing in colombia is higher than europa, this comes from guys like quintana and soler that I take a whole lot more serious than you pisti. you don't know much about anything babasically and especially not colombian cycling. even you have to admitt that

a not exceptional climber in colombia like atapuma that is outclimbing pozzovivo and other pure climbers says enough to me. I remember alex cano beating guys like evans on andorra arcalis last year in volta catalunya, with zero racing days in his legs. I remember all the great u23 riders destroyign climbs in avenir and giro bio. those are facts. a 3rd rate u23 rider in colombia like chamorro that lost avenir by only 1 seconds. that is proof enough for me. the level in colombia for climbing overall, is way higher than europe
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-17-12, 14:16
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
American races aren't high level, the ones in the USA at least. The French guys haven't won an ASO race in years(LBL, FW, Roubaix, Paris-Nice, Criterium du Dauphiné, Paris-Tours and the Tour de France). Although yes, they are often much better in the Tour than the rest of the season, but that's just one race and not even for the overall. Portuguese are dominating Portuguese cycling because most of the field is Portuguese... Ergo not of a very high level.

Belgians haven't won many LBLs or FW, and that's because those races are of the highest level and have an international field. Home-turf advantage is brought to a minimum then.

The level in South-America doesn't come close to the level in Europe, hence according to Ryo's logic he should hate it.

By the way, Farnese Vini is a small team.

Tour de San Luis is probably the race with the best international field last few years in South-America...
and it was won almost every year by a latin american
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-17-12, 14:22
Pazuzu Pazuzu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 241
Default

I'd love to see a version of the Tour de France for female riders. Cycling's marquee event should also exist for woman. The race could be held a couple of weeks before or after the Men's TdF.
__________________
"if anybody is the deserving winner of those seven tours, it's Ferrari." - Neal Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-17-12, 14:50
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I'd love to see a version of the Tour de France for female riders. Cycling's marquee event should also exist for woman. The race could be held a couple of weeks before or after the Men's TdF.
the reason that isn't happening is because aso aren't a charity organisation and they organised before and it only cost them a ton of money.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-17-12, 15:21
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,190
Default

Ryo, you called Gesink a pathetic excuse of a rider and that he's to blame for every one of his injuries. So Soler is, according to your logic, also a "pathetic excuse" of a rider. Not my words mind you.

And San Luis has been won by Nibali and Leipheimer past few years. Not by your precious Latin-American riders. Besides, for them it was just a warm-up, a glorified training ride. Do you want the results of this year's Tour de San Luis? Chicchi, Contador, Leipheimer, Boonen, Viviani. Not a single Latin-American rider won!

The best climbers in Europe are much better than those racing in South-American races. I remember Evans winning the Tour and Alex Cano winning nothing.

You're really clutching at straws here if you need to use examples of a Colombian rider out-climbing a European climber in a small race once in his whole career.

Also for your U23 results. Dutch riders are owning in the U23. Hardly an indication that they'll make it in the pro ranks. You've insulted Rabobank a lot for this already, so it's funny to see you doing this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-17-12 at 15:32.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-17-12, 15:27
Libertine Seguros's Avatar
Libertine Seguros Libertine Seguros is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land of Saíz
Posts: 14,027
Default

There used to be two, in fact - Le Grand Boucle Feminine and Route de France. Their competition with one another hurt the event, and the Giro won out overall. There used to be a nine-day Tour de l'Aude too, but that's gone the way of the dodo too.

If the two organisers of the two women's Tours could have pooled resources and worked things out that way, then they might have stood a chance.

The countries where women's cycling has the most support are Italy and the Netherlands, and as a result most of the biggest races are there. Belgium has most of the biggest one-day races (de Ronde and La Flèche). The Italians and the Dutch seem happy to set up a number of events as, with good success for the women, interest is higher and more money is available.

Maybe if a French woman (I have high hopes for Pauline Ferrand-Prévot in this respect) can generate some stage racing results in those few hilly or mountainous stage races there are - ones like Emakumeen Bira, Giro del Trentino, Gracia-Orlova and of course the Giro Donne - then some attention will be drawn towards trying to develop a women's Tour, whether it be through taking what little remains of the Route de France and rebuilding it, or through a new start-up. Probably the best time for it would be during the first week or so of the Vuelta, so that they can do similar to how the Giro Donne works - they do the stages comparatively early so that the coverage can be edited together so that the highlights of the day's stage can be broadcast directly after the Tour de France stage to maximise the crossover audience. It's seemingly worked, as the amount of coverage has increased from 10 to 45 minutes in the last three years.

But at the present time, I can't see anybody being willing to take the risk. And that's the problem with women's cycling at the moment. It's in a position where it needs risks to be taken in order to improve, as it does not have organic growth at present, and the present situation does not allow it the opportunities to create that either. It needs something to catalyse growth, and then it can sink or swim and we can see whether organic growth can be created. Will it ever be as big or as popular as the men's races? The answer, almost certainly, is no. But I don't see that a situation where women's races get decent enough audiences that the calendar can show enough variety that women can afford to specialise in particular styles of racing and make a living doing so, is such an unfeasible ambition.
__________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFiUlhAPes

Forever tête de la course.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-18-12, 02:38
lukinox's Avatar
lukinox lukinox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: No more sunny UK, but really sunny Italy instead
Posts: 78
Default

Well done to you, Libertine Seguros, sir! It's always comforting to see that someone in this world has a brain and uses it. Needless to say I agree with the points you made earlier. As for most of the posts I read on this thread I only have one thing to say: are you really comparing sport performances of men against women? That would be like comparing men nipples against women's. Of course women's nipples are bigger!
Men cycling (or any sport) is more popular than women cycling because of one main reason, men are the main followers of sports and we like to watch other men competing probably because we can relate and dream about it, so unless more women are gonna start watching women cycling, the sport is always gonna be less popular than their male counterpart. Having said that I enjoy watching the girls racing (something that I can't say about football for example) and I would welcome the day when there's gonna be more women races broadcast on telly.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-18-12, 02:41
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukinox View Post
Well done to you, Libertine Seguros, sir! It's always comforting to see that someone in this world has a brain and uses it. Needless to say I agree with the points you made earlier. As for most of the posts I read on this thread I only have one thing to say: are you really comparing sport performances of men against women? That would be like comparing men nipples against women's. Of course women's nipples are bigger!
Men cycling (or any sport) is more popular than women cycling because of one main reason, men are the main followers of sports and we like to watch other men competing probably because we can relate and dream about it, so unless more women are gonna start watching women cycling, the sport is always gonna be less popular than their male counterpart. Having said that I enjoy watching the girls racing (something that I can't say for football for example) and I would welcome the day when there's gonna be more women races broadcast on telly.
That's probably true, but I remember reading an article about how many women and men watched the Tour in Belgium, but I can't remember who watched the most.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Alfonsina Strada yet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-18-12 at 02:44.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-18-12, 09:49
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,692
Default

my girlfriend btw is a female cyclists and she actually hates woman cycling and woman sports in general. if she ever watches sport, which is usually only cycling. she watches only the men. she fits me like a glove
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.