Milan-Sanremo route unchanged for 2013 - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-15-12, 19:52

No favours to Nibs by the Italians.
Anyway I like the current parcours. As others have pointed out all types of riders are usually in the fray.
Old 11-15-12, 20:12

I think that with the Manie in it the parcours is fine, moving the finish back to via Roma would be perfect so that the distance from the Poggio to finish is reduced. Adding a difficult climb in the 25 kilometer would snaturate it.
Old 11-15-12, 20:19

I quite like the route as it is - we've only had 2 big bunch sprints in the 5 years since they moved the finish. Sticking le manie' in earlier has actually been quite good for the race, and I think cycling's in a better state now meaning everyone's as tired as they should be by the foot of the Poggio 290-odd kilometres in. Bunch sprints used to be more common in the 90s/early 2000s than they are now. A race that is about 50-50 whether a sprinter or an escape artist wins is pretty much ideal for me. Not sure I buy this idea of 'a wider range of winners' being needed. I can't think of many other races where Cancellara, Cavendish, Gilbert and Nibali all show up wanting the win. Paris-Roubaix doesn't have a wide range of potential winners anyway but it's still brilliant.
Old 11-15-12, 20:24
Administrator

i would like to see the finish back to the via roma. that way the attackers would have a better chance to staying away and would be cooler for traditional reasons.
Old 11-16-12, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
It doesn't have to be changed, it's a great race as it is. It's the only classic where more or less any kind of rider can win. There aren't many other races where two completely different riders like Nibali and Cavendish both have been on the podium!
I agree with this. The last 2 years have been great 8, then 3 man sprints.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-16-12, 04:44

Would agree to keep as is. The race has a lot to do with race tactics and luck. However, consistent wins over the years will leverage on race tactics. Hence, anyone can get lucky and win once, but more than once is difficult and that is why Oscar Freire has earned his place as one of the best ever.
Old 11-16-12, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mila...anged-for-2013

If I remember well there was talk of a new route with a steeper side of the Cipressa, right after this year's edition.

My opinion on the matter is divided. First I would like a course change because I think Milan-Sanremo HAS to end on the Via Roma. Not to favour aggressive riders but for traditional reasons. The finish on the Corso Cavaloti is crap. In the late eighties and the early nineties there was roadwork on the Via Roma, that's why the finish line was set there. In 1993, the race was back on the Via Roma.

Second, I think Milan-Sanremo does not need being hardened. It's a great classic that rarely finished in a bunch sprint. In order to stop bunch sprint all we need to do is fight against **** (Clinic talk).
Cavendish with the help of Holm and Aldag should win this race. It will be a long day with a bit of action in the end. Enjoy.
Old 11-16-12, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
Cavendish with the help of Holm and Aldag should win this race. It will be a long day with a bit of action in the end. Enjoy.
Last year he should have won as well

Oh wait he was dead last over Le Maine
Old 11-16-12, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peccio89 View Post
I think that with the Manie in it the parcours is fine, moving the finish back to via Roma would be perfect so that the distance from the Poggio to finish is reduced. Adding a difficult climb in the 25 kilometer would snaturate it.
Reduced distance is not significant. Normally, the longer, the harder.

But what is not known is that the Via Roma is slightly uphill and most importantly wind-sheltered. That is a huge advantage for attackers.

But really wasn't that street and the fountain beautiful? It's the only finish line that had become famous in cycling.