Last world tour spot to be decided between Saxo and Shimano? - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-22-12, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
what talents do they have then(general question)? the team is a joke and in every mountainstage every rider finishes in the bus
The same goes for Greenedge, but somehow they managed to win 2 WT stage races and a monument.

On the other hand, I resented the amount of invites Argos were able to get last year when their contribution to the races was virtually nil. I can count on one hand the amount of races that really benefited from their presence... Paris-Tours, and... erm... er... I'll get back to you.

I won't miss them if they're not WT. Probably cos they'll be invited to every race anyway.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 11-22-12, 18:50

How many sprinter-oriented teams are in the WT? Two? Three?
How many GT-classement oriented teams are in the WT? A dozen?

So I'll cheer of course for Argos.
Old 11-22-12, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post

I won't miss them if they're not WT. Probably cos they'll be invited to every race anyway.
Same for Saxo, so this is not an argument.
Old 11-22-12, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Bicycle View Post
Same for Saxo, so this is not an argument.
Saxo won't be invited to races, where you won't be able to see them. Argos will.
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 11-22-12, 19:00
Administrator

I think both Saxo and Argos deserve a spot in the world tour, but since only one of them can have that spot I hope it goes to Saxo. Argos for the most part will bring sprinter and possibly some classic contenders for the cobbles and MSR. They do have some promising U23 talents that could become good climbers or GC riders, but I doubt those riders will be contending for GC in their first season in the pro ranks (plus racing continental could be better for them). Saxo will bring a lot more to the WT, they have a much wider variety of riders, and can contend in more races. So I am hoping they get the spot.
Old 11-22-12, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Saxo won't be invited to races, where you won't be able to see them.
The Ardennes classics? And, if Breschel's knee gives in again, the cobbled classics?
Old 11-22-12, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
The Ardennes classics? And, if Breschel's knee gives in again, the cobbled classics?
Kreuziger was fourth in LBL last year if I remember correctly. That's good enough to get a wildcard. And if they bring Contador that would be even better. I think Contador will be there for Flèche Wallonne, but I'm not so sure about the other 2 classics.

Breschel is also good enough for Saxobank to deserve a wildcard for the cobbled classics. If his knee gives in, too bad! **** happens.

There's usually plenty of wildcards available for one day races. It's only problematic for GTs in my opinion.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-22-12 at 21:40.
Old 11-22-12, 22:19

Quote:
Don't know, the best stage racer of the season wasn't there. And the arguably second best was past his peak.
Now you are just being silly. The sprinters line up at the Vuelta was absolutely appalling. It was like watching Argos club baby seals.
Old 11-22-12, 22:31

Quote:
Yes, Saxo (a GC team) won the Vuelta. Argos (a sprinting team) won 5 stages. Each did very well in their own specialty.
argos also rode the tour with their a squad wn were the joke of that tour. argos were a joke in every wt race they ended, bar the vuelta, which had the worst sprinter participation of any gt in recent years
Old 11-22-12, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Greipel has won exactly 6 WT stages, half of which he won Down Under.(the other half are Tour stages ofc) The rest of his victories are just small races just like Kittel's. How impressive is that.
3 tour stages against top competion >>>>>>> anything kittel or anyone at argos has ever done