Last world tour spot to be decided between Saxo and Shimano? - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-22-12, 22:49

Thats easy....Saxo/Tinkoff ofcourse.They have more to offer in Grand Tours and im looking forward to Riis/Contador smashing all riders come july...
Old 11-22-12, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Well to help in this difficult decision: you have on one side the generations greatest stage racer vs. a team with 2 2nd tier (but promising) young sprinters. You have a team that can be a factor in the overall in WT stage races, week long and the grand tours and you have a team that can win a few stages here and there if they're lucky.

If the decision was based solely on performance in WT events it's not hard to decide who should get the call.
Old 11-23-12, 00:43

"From a sportive perspective" (Thanks, Matty Lloyd), I´d prefer Saxo, who´ve a great roster for 2013. Yet, would be glad to see Riis and Tinkov go down to 2nd division.

Normally, Saxo should get the spot. Argos get their wildcards anyways, Tour and Vuelta guaranteed, and their lineup is so much weaker than Saxo´s.

Though, I could imagine UCI wants to punish mainly Tinkov for his sharp critizism towards McQuaid and Verbruggen.
Old 11-23-12, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
"From a sportive perspective" (Thanks, Matty Lloyd), I´d prefer Saxo, who´ve a great roster for 2013. Yet, would be glad to see Riis and Tinkov go down to 2nd division.

Normally, Saxo should get the spot. Argos get their wildcards anyways, Tour and Vuelta guaranteed, and their lineup is so much weaker than Saxo´s.

Though, I could imagine UCI wants to punish mainly Tinkov for his sharp critizism towards McQuaid and Verbruggen.
What did Tinkov say?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-23-12, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
What did Tinkov say?
he said

Quote:
Cycling will be better now without Bryneel,Armstrong and other cheaters.We all knew they doped.Now cycling need to get rid of UCI management
Here
Old 11-23-12, 02:10

Funny that even in the TDU there's only two Kittel stages next year.

Although his autobus antics from California could really add something to a Dauphine or Suisse.

If only Degenkolb could do 150 days

If I wanted to be talking up Argos' squad I'd be looking more at RJvR, Mezgec, Veelers, Dumoulin. These are the guys with potential to add something in WT races behind their two leaders.

Last edited by Ferminal; 11-23-12 at 02:16.
Old 11-24-12, 07:43

Quote:
And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Don't worry all those riders will perform well next year. Bennati i think could win SB, Kreuziger could go well at the Ardennes and Breschel could top 5 in one of RVV/ P-R.

I want Saxo to get the spot.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 11-24-12, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Don't worry all those riders will perform well next year. Bennati i think could win SB, Kreuziger could go well at the Ardennes and Breschel could top 5 in one of RVV/ P-R.

I want Saxo to get the spot.
SB?

10char
Old 11-24-12, 10:10

Quote:
SB?

10char
Strade Bianche I guess
Old 11-24-12, 10:17

Bit hard for him to win a race which ends on a 15% ramp.