Last world tour spot to be decided between Saxo and Shimano? - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-22-12, 22:49
blaxland blaxland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,233
Default

Thats easy....Saxo/Tinkoff ofcourse.They have more to offer in Grand Tours and im looking forward to Riis/Contador smashing all riders come july...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-22-12, 23:17
Angliru's Avatar
Angliru Angliru is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Saxo were better on paper this season as well. However, in the actual races they simply sucked. And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Well to help in this difficult decision: you have on one side the generations greatest stage racer vs. a team with 2 2nd tier (but promising) young sprinters. You have a team that can be a factor in the overall in WT stage races, week long and the grand tours and you have a team that can win a few stages here and there if they're lucky.

If the decision was based solely on performance in WT events it's not hard to decide who should get the call.
__________________
"It's a little bit scarey when Contador attacks." Tommie Voeckler
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-23-12, 00:43
RHRH19861986 RHRH19861986 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Posts: 975
Default

"From a sportive perspective" (Thanks, Matty Lloyd), I´d prefer Saxo, who´ve a great roster for 2013. Yet, would be glad to see Riis and Tinkov go down to 2nd division.

Normally, Saxo should get the spot. Argos get their wildcards anyways, Tour and Vuelta guaranteed, and their lineup is so much weaker than Saxo´s.

Though, I could imagine UCI wants to punish mainly Tinkov for his sharp critizism towards McQuaid and Verbruggen.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-23-12, 01:06
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
"From a sportive perspective" (Thanks, Matty Lloyd), I´d prefer Saxo, who´ve a great roster for 2013. Yet, would be glad to see Riis and Tinkov go down to 2nd division.

Normally, Saxo should get the spot. Argos get their wildcards anyways, Tour and Vuelta guaranteed, and their lineup is so much weaker than Saxo´s.

Though, I could imagine UCI wants to punish mainly Tinkov for his sharp critizism towards McQuaid and Verbruggen.
What did Tinkov say?
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-23-12, 01:27
Le Baroudeur Le Baroudeur is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
What did Tinkov say?
he said

Quote:
Cycling will be better now without Bryneel,Armstrong and other cheaters.We all knew they doped.Now cycling need to get rid of UCI management
Here
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-23-12, 02:10
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,459
Default

Funny that even in the TDU there's only two Kittel stages next year.

Although his autobus antics from California could really add something to a Dauphine or Suisse.

If only Degenkolb could do 150 days

If I wanted to be talking up Argos' squad I'd be looking more at RJvR, Mezgec, Veelers, Dumoulin. These are the guys with potential to add something in WT races behind their two leaders.

Last edited by Ferminal; 11-23-12 at 02:16.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-24-12, 07:43
greenedge's Avatar
greenedge greenedge is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
And to solve that problem they signed some riders who are great on paper, but also sucked (Breschel, Bennati, Kreuziger). For next year I'd definitely expect more in the classics from Degenkolb than Breschel/Bennati.

That leaves a choice between one of the best stage racing teams (built around Contador) vs. one of the best sprinting teams (built around Kittel/Degenkolb). It's a cr.pshoot.
Don't worry all those riders will perform well next year. Bennati i think could win SB, Kreuziger could go well at the Ardennes and Breschel could top 5 in one of RVV/ P-R.

I want Saxo to get the spot.
__________________
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-24-12, 09:59
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenedge View Post
Don't worry all those riders will perform well next year. Bennati i think could win SB, Kreuziger could go well at the Ardennes and Breschel could top 5 in one of RVV/ P-R.

I want Saxo to get the spot.
SB?


10char
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-24-12, 10:10
burning burning is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
SB?


10char
Strade Bianche I guess
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-24-12, 10:17
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,459
Default

Bit hard for him to win a race which ends on a 15% ramp.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.