Sportsmanship: a comparative case study - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who was right, who was wrong?
Luiz Adriano and Contador were right 7 20.59%
Luiz Adriano and Contador were wrong 3 8.82%
Luiz Adriano was right, Contador was wrong 1 2.94%
Luiz Adriano was wrong, Contador was right 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-12, 18:39

Default Sportsmanship: a comparative case study

It's off season right? Might as well open a can of worms ....

Many of you I am sure have seen the recent goal by a player named Luiz Adriano of Shachtar Donezk. He did not respect the "unwritten rules" of football, but these rules must be respected and if you don't it is bad sportsmanship. One player of the opposite team had been injured, and you don't attack your opponent when he is down. Just like in cycling.

Except ...

The player in question had injured himself assumedly while trying to get the ball from the opposite team (I didn't see the game, however for this hypothetical case study let's assume the player injured himself while trying to get the ball, or preventing someone from getting the ball, or doing anything else in order to help his team). When you drop your sword and fall on it, it is your own fault, and you should have to live with the consequences (except of course when you literally fall on a sword, chances are you will not do a lot of living after that). This guy could have chosen not to attack the player of Donezk, not to get the ball, not do whatever he did to help his team by which he injured himself. Yet he put himself out there and thus created an oppotrunity for his opponent. Luiz Adriano had every right in the world to score when he did, and all this "unwritten rule" stuff is just bollok$, excuses that losers make to justify their loss. Just like in cycling.

Who is right, who is wrong?

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr

Last edited by Christian; 11-22-12 at 18:44.
Old 11-22-12, 18:48

In cycling mechanicals and crashes happen all the time. In P-R nobody waits if you lose your chain. In football every team follow the rules of fair-play in every match 99%.

IOW in cycling 'wait-for-your-opponent-because-of-his-bad-luck' is a pseudo rule. In football it isn't (and most likely Adriano will receive a penalty)

Adriano: Wrong
Contador: Right
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up

Last edited by Netserk; 11-22-12 at 18:50.
Old 11-22-12, 19:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
It's off season right? Might as well open a can of worms ....

Many of you I am sure have seen the recent goal by a player named Luiz Adriano of Shachtar Donezk. He did not respect the "unwritten rules" of football, but these rules must be respected and if you don't it is bad sportsmanship. One player of the opposite team had been injured, and you don't attack your opponent when he is down. Just like in cycling.

Except ...

The player in question had injured himself assumedly while trying to get the ball from the opposite team (I didn't see the game, however for this hypothetical case study let's assume the player injured himself while trying to get the ball, or preventing someone from getting the ball, or doing anything else in order to help his team). When you drop your sword and fall on it, it is your own fault, and you should have to live with the consequences (except of course when you literally fall on a sword, chances are you will not do a lot of living after that). This guy could have chosen not to attack the player of Donezk, not to get the ball, not do whatever he did to help his team by which he injured himself. Yet he put himself out there and thus created an oppotrunity for his opponent. Luiz Adriano had every right in the world to score when he did, and all this "unwritten rule" stuff is just bollok$, excuses that losers make to justify their loss. Just like in cycling.

Who is right, who is wrong?
you probably didn't watch that goal.
The Shaktar guy didn't just attacked with an opponent down... the action had already stopped. The referee then dropped the ball, as usual, to a Shaktar player (the side that was defending during the last action), in order to let him kick the ball to the other team and restart the game. So did the player, but Luiz Adriano just took the ball, while all the opposite defense was standing like "wtf?" and scored without resistance.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...

Last edited by Eshnar; 11-22-12 at 19:11.
Old 11-22-12, 19:07

Both Contador and Luiz Adriano were right. People should learn when they're outclassed and stop whining about it.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-22-12, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Both Contador and Luiz Adriano were right. People should learn when they're outclassed and stop whining about it.

See Eshnar's post..
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 11-22-12, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

See Eshnar's post..
Lol, I don't care. Shakhtar Donetsk won with 5-2. They(Danish team) get paid millions and they're still to lazy to run after a ball.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-22-12, 19:14

I think it is incomparable. In football, there is a referee judging for what sort of things a game should be stopped. In cycling, there is no such thing. For me, it means in both cases all action can continue in case there is no interference.

Of course, the agents in the game or sport can choose to not continue. In cycling, that would be waiting for your opponent, which has happened in the past. However, as there is no-one forcing this rule, it is only voluntary and should only happen at the discretion of the actors involved (I sound like a lawyer, I know). In cycling, often there is a part of the peloton waiting and some guys not waiting. Nothing wrong with both of these actions. However, often the waiters then call out the non-waiters for being unsportive or immoral or what have you. Annoying, because there is no such thing in cycling, thus an action like this cannot be called right or wrong. Stick to your choice and live with it. It's the same in football as long as a referee is not involved: just play your game and don't expect presents.

As soon as these so-called sportive actions are demanded by the opponent, they have lost all meaning anyway.
Old 11-22-12, 19:24

Schleckfan_94 totally ignores the fact that Andy Schleck got his advantage in the first place by doing the exact same thing on stage 3. Chavannel caught beind a crash. Contador caught behind a crash.?

"pff grow up losers its all in the game."

13 days later

"wah wah no fair no fair"

That is far more important than this stupid debate about whether Contador should have waited or not. If there had been no stage 3 and Schleck had actually earned his advantage on some other stage then we could talk about whether Contador was a bit of a **** to take back that time that way

But as it happens since schleck did exactly the same thing, Contador wsas well within his rights.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 11-22-12 at 19:34.
Old 11-22-12, 19:27

Luiz Adriano wrong, Alberto right (duh)
Old 11-22-12, 19:41

I don't really care about football, but at least I know Contador was right.