Sportsmanship: a comparative case study - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who was right, who was wrong?
Luiz Adriano and Contador were right 7 20.59%
Luiz Adriano and Contador were wrong 3 8.82%
Luiz Adriano was right, Contador was wrong 1 2.94%
Luiz Adriano was wrong, Contador was right 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-12, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
He couldn't, because rules don't include this situation.
I know, so he didn't do anything wrong. Either re-write the rules(and you still won't be able to punish him then) or drop the fair play act.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-22-12, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
With Cancellara a deal with the officials was also struck. What's the difference? Same goes for the Vino case.

Or do you guys really think there aren't any "referees" during a cycling race?

If there was a deal the referee should've handled it better .
this is hillarious, you know nothing about football (and i dont blame you, i dont really like it much either) but you cant resist pretending to be omniscient so you change every single thing mentioned in this thread into a cycling analogy.

Cycling is a chaotic sport where 25 teams and 180 riders are facing eachother at any 1 point that takes place over many km and can have many geographical locations where things can be happening at the same time.

Football is beteen 2 teams with 1 focus point the ball and 1 central authority figure.

Can you understand the difference and the reason why you wont be able to win the argument by twisting everything into a totally unrelated sport with its own rules and systems and customs.

Cycling and football are about as distantly related as any 2 sports can be so your lectures on what happened to Cancellara or EBH or whoever the **** have 0 to do with Luis Adrianos behaviour in a the football game.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 11-22-12, 20:37
Administrator

Quote:
I know, so he didn't do anything wrong. Either re-write the rules(and you still won't be able to punish him then) or drop the fair play act.
He won't be punished, indeed, as he didn't break any rule.

But we're talking of sportsmanship, not bad ruling.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 11-22-12, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
this is hillarious, you know nothing about football (and i dont blame you, i dont really like it much either) but you cant resist pretending to be omniscient so you change every single thing mentioned in this thread into a cycling analogy.

Cycling is a chaotic sport where 25 teams and 180 riders are facing eachother at any 1 point and many points where things can be happening at once.

Football is beteen 2 teams with 1 focus point the ball and 1 central authority figure.

Can you understand the difference and the reason why you wont be able to win the argument by twisting everything into a totally unrelated sport with its own rules and systems and customs.

Cycling and football are about as distantly related as any 2 sports can be so your lectures on what happened to Cancellara or EBH or whoever the **** have 0 to do with Luis Adrianos behaviour in a the football game.
Uhm, read the topic: it's all about comparing the 2 sports. Whether or not you think that is possible I don't care. If you don't feel like comparing the 2 sports then get out of this thread and don't post?

What's the situation:

-Someone broke an oral agreement between teams and officials with no legal binding.

Yeah, that can never happen in cycling.

*cough* Vino *cough*
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 11-22-12, 20:41

Quote:
With Cancellara a deal with the officials was also struck. What's the difference? Same goes for the Vino case.

Or do you guys really think there aren't any "referees" during a cycling race?

If there was a deal the referee should've handled it better .

If what Luis did was against the rules then the referee should've taken action. He didn't, so what's the problem exactly? It's not like he didn't see it.
Was Maradona right to handball against England in mexico in 86?

Yes because in 2010 Belgium Vino paid Kolobnev to win LBL.

Welcome to Pistrollero's world.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 11-22-12, 20:42
Administrator

Quote:
Uhm, read the topic: it's all about comparing the 2 sports. Whether or not you think that is possible I don't care. If you don't feel like comparing the 2 sports then get out of this thread and don't post?

What's the situation:

-Someone broke an oral agreement between teams and officials with no legal binding.

Yeah, that can never happen in cycling.

*cough* Vino *cough*
Did ALL the teams agree? If so, whoever broke the agreement is wrong. Quite straightforward.

Old 11-22-12, 20:42

Quote:
He won't be punished, indeed, as he didn't break any rule.

But we're talking of sportsmanship, not bad ruling.
In both situations they used the misfortune of their opponents to get a personal advantage. If you're cool with the Contador case you should also be cool with this otherwise you're acting like a hypocrite in my opinion.

Quote:
Did ALL the teams agree? If so, whoever broke the agreement is wrong. Quite straightforward.
All the riders that rode the Tour in 2007 signed a contract with ASO that they wouldn't take doping and pay their yearly salary if they get caught anyway. Some riders paid that prize, but Vino refused and took it to court. The contract was not legally binding and he didn't need to pay even though he agreed in the first place. Same situation as with this football player don't you think? Yet Hitch doesn't mind supporting Vino.

This is what this thread is about isn't it? Comparing cases from cycling with the football incident? Vino is a hero here, those people shouldn't villainize Luiz Adriano now.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 11-22-12 at 20:49.
Old 11-22-12, 20:48
Administrator

Quote:
In both situations they used the misfortune of their opponents to get a personal advantage. If you're cool with the Contador case you should also be cool with this otherwise you're acting like a hypocrite in my opinion.

All the riders that rode the Tour in 2007 signed a contract with ASO that they wouldn't take doping and pay their yearly salary if they get caught anyway. Some riders paid that prize, but Vino refused and took it to court. The contract was not legally binding and he didn't need to pay even though he agreed in the first place. Same situation as with this football player don't you think? Yet Hitch doesn't mind supporting Vino.
So Vino is ethically wrong (in my view ofc)
But AC was absolutely right.

Old 11-22-12, 20:48

Quote:
Uhm, read the topic: it's all about comparing the 2 sports.
No the thread is about 2 incidents. Thats Schlecks chain in 2010, not your grudge against Vino denying Gilbert 3rd place at 2010 lbl or ebh or any of that.
Old 11-22-12, 20:49

http://shakhtar.com/en/news/24590

Apparently Adriano disagrees with El Pistolero...
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up