Pure climbers. - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-22-12, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Throughout history on cycling we've always had many representatives of this kind of cyclist. A historic cyclist. Most of them legends or brave riders with an great winning mentality and an admirable capacity for suffering. Suffice with go backwards in time and remenber past decades. Mythical climbers like Binda, Coppi, Gaul or Bahamontes. Poulidor, Van Impe, Battaglin, Ocaña or Fuente in the 70's, Millar, Delgado, Parra, Hampsten or Herrera in the 80's and more recently Leblanc, Pantani or Chiapucci in the 90's. After one of the worsts decades of the history of this sport in what refers of pure climbers nowadays we have big hopes in young guys like Thibaut Pinot, Nairo Quintana and the colombians, Joseph Dombrowski... IMO the future of this race mostly depends of them. Now i want to formulate the question i wanted to make since the beginning of this thread Who are the top ten pure climbers today? I want to clarify that for me a classic rider like Valverde, Nibali or Chris Froome arent pure climbers. Here's my list: 1) Alberto Contador 2) Andy Schleck 3) J. Rod 4) Thibaut Pinot 5) Jürgen Van Den Broeck 6) Pierre Rolland 7) Nairo Quintana 8) Robert Gesink 9) José Rujano 10) Domenico Pozzovivo. And another questions. Which generation of climbers of the last 50 years was better? Maybe the 70s? Will we overcome the current crisis of pure climbers thanks for the new hopes?
If you define "pure climber" as someone who can´t sprint, can´t TT, can´t win a race like Roubaix, then I´d change most names you named. Quintana, Rujano and Pozzovivo can stay.

To add just a few:
Nieve
Santambrogio
Zaugg
Szmyd
Jelle Vanendert

All GC guys have to be good in climbing and TT, and in the important stage races, if they recover properly and keep their HCTs up, good climbers suddenly also show good TTs, remember 55-Kilo-Pantani.

Last edited by RHRH19861986; 11-22-12 at 21:28.
Old 11-22-12, 21:24

Quote:
Alberto Contador is not a pure climber? LOL. For me yes. So its a subjective list. You can interpretate the words "pure climber" as you want.
he is the best climber. A pure climber i would think is someone that pretty much just is visible in the high mountains? or atleast that is what i would think it means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 11-22-12, 21:25
Banned

1. Locke
2. Wiggins
3. Froome
4. Zubeldia
5. Horner
6. Valverde
7. moncoutie
8. Visconti
9. Contador
10. Gesink
Old 11-22-12, 21:27

Who claimed he was the best climber in the world behind Contador and Rodrigue? Wasn´t it Horner?
Old 11-22-12, 21:27

in recent years contador and schleck are a mile in front of all these young pretenders and if AS can recover fully from his injury there is still plenty more to come , not that many on this forum will agree as its just a contador love forum and pretty much hatred for schleck .
Old 11-22-12, 21:28

right now rujano is the strongest pure climber in the world.
2013 will be a bloodbath
Old 11-22-12, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCadence View Post
1. Locke
2. Wiggins
3. Froome
4. Zubeldia
5. Horner
6. Valverde
7. moncoutie
8. Visconti
9. Contador
10. Gesink
Lol. Wow. Wtf
Old 11-22-12, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
Who claimed he was the best climber in the world behind Contador and Rodrigue? Wasn´t it Horner?
yeah, Horner but that was when he was in his forties.
Old 11-22-12, 21:34
Banned

Quote:
Lol. Wow. Wtf
Yep WTF why isn't Machado in there :s damn.
Old 11-22-12, 21:38

Nah, Horner claimed to be the 2nd best climber in the world. Rujano claimed to be the 3rd best, naming Contador and Rodríguez as the top 2. At that point Rodríguez had only just moved from Caisse d'Epargne to Katyusha, so it was seen as crazy from that angle too.

Anyway, guys like Tiernan-Locke and Jelle Vanendert are a bit too classics-styled for me to think of as pure climbers, though I guess you could argue that that makes them little different to Purito.

You can also add André Cardoso, Sergio Pardilla and possibly Dan Martin (again, maybe a bit too much of a classics skillbase).

Forever tęte de la course.