Pure climbers. - Page 6 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-22-12, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
Actually Horner said behind Contador and Andy Schleck.

Rujano said he was the 3rd best behind Contador and Purito.
OK, so now that´s interesting.

1. Contador
2. ASchleck/Purito
3. Rujano/Horner

Hmmm... Horny, is he serious? Well, courageous statement.

Just love this guy. you know the Youtube video where he said he once lost 12 kilograms (kgs!! in one stage of the Tour de France? And his nutrition stories are epic... "I´d kill for McDonalds", "I must avoid to eat during preparing meals", and so on... Great guy!!
Old 11-22-12, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
it would be pointless to tell you, as you couldn't see intelligence if it was personified in a naked girl dancing on a wide open field, holding a board with "intelligence" on it
No doubt you would spend most of your time trying to understand what "intelligence" means in this case.
Old 11-22-12, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
OK, so now that´s interesting.

1. Contador
2. ASchleck/Purito
3. Rujano/Horner

Hmmm... Horny, is he serious? Well, courageous statement.

Just love this guy. you know the Youtube video where he said he once lost 12 kilograms (kgs!! in one stage of the Tour de France? And his nutrition stories are epic... "I´d kill for McDonalds", "I must avoid to eat during preparing meals", and so on... Great guy!!
Horner was riding the high of having snatched the team lead and the race lead from Leipheimer. Adrenalin flowing and all that. Still his claim was actually that Contador was the only one that could drop him, the rest they either can't shake him or he feels (or more accurately 'felt' based on his recent performances) that he can out climb them. He's a funny guy, brilliant tactical mind that reached the big leagues too early and with the wrong team to really show what he could do and then too far past his prime to have displayed what a talent he was. Ultimately politics were his biggest obstacle.
Old 11-22-12, 23:12

Quote:
Horner was riding the high of having snatched the team lead and the race lead from Leipheimer. Adrenalin flowing and all that. Still his claim was actually that Contador was the only one that could drop him, the rest they either can't shake him or he feels (or more accurately 'felt' based on his recent performances) that he can out climb them. He's a funny guy, brilliant tactical mind that reached the big leagues too early and with the wrong team to really show what he could do and then too far past his prime to have displayed what a talent he was. Ultimately politics were his biggest obstacle.
Yeah, I definitely agree. Actually he lost the best years for a rider of his type after finishing his first European career part in the 90ies.

On the other hand, who knows if he´d still be active with 40+ years if he hadn´t spent five years on the American National Event scene, maybe this "break" now made him fresher for his third career part from 2005.
Old 11-22-12, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Nice list. Only one thing. IMO Antón is overrated. I think Pierre Rolland is far better and younger. How i can forget Nieve
I like Rolland better as well! Anyway please don't put too much into the seeding of the bottom five.

I. Anton on his day is spectacular. However, it seems there is getting longer and longer between those days! Absolutely correct.

Zoncolan 2011 - Alto del Morredero 2010 - Flumserberg 2008 - Morgins 2007 -Calar Alto 2006 however, where all excellent performances, which are firmly printed in my memory
Old 11-22-12, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
the 2009 rujano was the best climber I've seen since pantani. in 2011 he was getting better and better until he got sick. but on grossglockner he was already stronger than contador imo. I will never forget etna, rujano realized there that he was even stronger than contador, before that he always thought contador was the best climber in the world.

still for rujano to shine everything must fall in place. especially the weather. he is so vulnerable wth his 48 kg

These guys are easily better (Although Contador is definitely not a pure climber)
Old 11-22-12, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
Yeah, I definitely agree. Actually he lost the best years for a rider of his type after finishing his first European career part in the 90ies.

On the other hand, who knows if he´d still be active with 40+ years if he hadn´t spent five years on the American National Event scene, maybe this "break" now made him fresher for his third career part from 2005.
You're right, his time racing domestically likely allowed him to have such a long career, although his attitude about the sport itself is such that he just enjoys riding and racing his bike so it's likely he'd still be racing but maybe the locations would be reversed where he'd maybe closing out his career riding in the states.
Old 11-22-12, 23:26

I'd be curious to see a poll of who the best climbers are period regardless of whether they're a "pure" climber or not. I'll have to do a search to see if a thread already exists.

Edit: From last year:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthr...light=climbers

Last edited by Angliru; 11-22-12 at 23:33.
Old 11-23-12, 00:12

Quote:
You're right, his time racing domestically likely allowed him to have such a long career, although his attitude about the sport itself is such that he just enjoys riding and racing his bike so it's likely he'd still be racing but maybe the locations would be reversed where he'd maybe closing out his career riding in the states.
I suppose he´ll leave the WT scene after 2013, maybe even after 2014, and come back to showing up in the US national scene after that.

... and, of course, then finally McDonalds will be allowed to provide the rocket fuel for the crits around the skyscrapers...
Old 11-23-12, 09:35

So essentially a pure climber is someone that is useless at time trialling...