The French hope of the century or the Colombian Messiah? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who is the best talent?
Thibaut Pinot 49 30.43%
Nairo Quintana 112 69.57%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-12, 21:22

IMO today Chaves is clearly after Pinot and Quintana. He's 90 class too.
Old 12-03-12, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Bicycle View Post
Warren Barguil and Romain Bardet are way more exciting French talents.
Personally it's more exciting (for me) to see such young talents show their potential in the sport's bigger events against the seasoned veterans and established stars.

Last edited by Angliru; 12-03-12 at 21:27. Reason: Left out the "for me" part.
Old 12-03-12, 21:23

chaves will improve a lot though. a lot more than quintana will. quintana's base level is so high however that he's already top 3 best climbers in the world, add to that some experience and improvements overall and you have a potential gt winner.
Old 12-03-12, 22:25

If we talk about climbing talent for me it's something like this.
***** Pinot, Quintana
**** Dombrowski
*** Chaves

Then the Betancur, Aru, Bardet, Barguil, Anacona, Atapuma, Elissonde, Landa... are today in other level.
Old 12-03-12, 22:27

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Betancur doesn't belong in that list. If you see what Betancur has already achieved he is way better
Old 12-03-12, 23:21
Administrator

At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-04-12, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
At the moment Pinot seems to show the most potential to be a GT contender after getting a top 10 in his first GT. But Quintana I would say is the better climber of the two, his performance at the Giro dell'Emilia and the Vuelta showed what a great climber he is, as well as a lot of potential. Would like to see Quintana get leadership in a GT though, instead of having to work for Valverde again.
My thoughts exactly, at the moment Pinot seems to me the most likely to win a GT one day, he already had the chance to ride his own race at the Tour and I have to say that he's been impressive, on the other hand it would be interesting to see Quintana ride for himself in a GT, but I'm afraid we might have to wait a couple of years to see that.
Old 12-04-12, 01:49

I went with Nairo. Pinot is very, very impressive, but Quintana was pacing the elite group and chasing down attacks from Contador and Rodriguez for Valverde at the Vuelta on 20% slopes. I'm not sure if Pinot, or indeed the vast majority of the peloton, is capable of climbing that well. As far as their ability to challenge for GC, I'm undecided. Does Pinot TT better than Quintana?

Also, I'm assuming Quintana is a good descender, because he held off Evans for a downhill stage finish at the Dauphine. I didn't watch that stage though, so I have no idea if it was a difficult descent or not.
Old 12-04-12, 03:01

Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.
Old 12-04-12, 04:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Have the two of them raced against each other with a free role yet? I'll reserve judgement until they do.

They seem to be a cut above everyone else their age but Chaves, Dombrowski, Aru and Lachlan Morton are a few of the guys that could challenge them.
They both raced in Tour du Haut-Var, and finished 11th (Pinot) and 12th (Quintana), separated by just 2 seconds. And they both race Lombardia where Quintana finished 11th, and Pinot DNFed.

Of course Pinot was probably far from his peak in Lombardia, and Quintana showed some great late season form so don't take it as serious judgement of who's better. Not sure what their situation or form was like in Haut-Var.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"