The Strongest Contador? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Strongest Contador?
Tour '07 15 15.46%
Tour '09 44 45.36%
Giro '11 21 21.65%
Waiting for tour '13 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-12, 21:46

Default The Strongest Contador?

No Clinic talk, I know it's hard

When do you think Contador was at his best? Or do you think Contador we haven't seen Contador at his best, that he can still improve? Or is it downhill from now on?

It's been a while since i've done a thread. And with a poll of course. A thread with no poll is just not the same.

Last edited by Miburo; 12-03-12 at 21:48.
Old 12-03-12, 21:58

waiting for 13
With Riis I think he can reach yet another level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 12-03-12, 22:02

Between Tour 09 and Giro 11, but Tour 09 gets the vote due to better competition. He easily beat an in-form Andy Schleck in the mountains and also defeated Cancellara and Tony Martin in the time trial.
Old 12-03-12, 22:07

Verbier VAM record. And won the tt. To be fair matching Pantani up Plateu de beile is also worth considering but all time VAM record means Contador 09 is one of the best cimbing forces of all time.

Its also a bit harder to compare to Giro 11 and those Etna numbers might have been pretty darn high too but once again, VAM record Verbier, nuff said.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-03-12, 22:10

I woted for 2007 because 2009 route was pretty bad (Nothing happened between Arcalis and Verbier and almost nothing happened at Arcalis too) and he was just insane at Galibier-Plateau-Peyresourde
Old 12-03-12, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Verbier VAM record. And won the tt. To be fair matching Pantani up Plateu de beile is also worth considering but all time VAM record means Contador 09 is one of the best cimbing forces of all time.

Its also a bit harder to compare to Giro 11 and those Etna numbers might have been pretty darn high too but once again, VAM record Verbier, nuff said.
I knew his numbers were high (lemond issue) but i didn't know it was a record. Even compared to Pantani/armstrong days?
Old 12-03-12, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post

We have to keep in mind he had extra motivation with the return of LA and his attempts to undermine Contador's efforts to show his superiority. There was a fire in his riding at the Tour in 2009 that hasn't been seen since. I think though that he still has it in him to match the level. Several riders of his era didn't reach their peaks until their 30's.
Old 12-03-12, 22:24
Banned

Giro '08. No?
He should ride it in 2013. as well.
Just to be sure about Wiggo.
Old 12-03-12, 22:24

I will vote tour 2009 because he was really strong and had to survie Armstrong.
He had a very good level in the 2011 Giro
Old 12-03-12, 23:23

Giro 2011, because he didn't have a comically strong team, and the route wasn't so soft. It's easier to set a VAM record on Verbier after a flat stage than on a steeper climb after four other category 1 climbs or when you're so superior to everyone else you can afford to spend your energy on trying to find ways for your friends to get stages.

Forever tte de la course.