The Strongest Contador? - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Strongest Contador?
Tour '07 15 15.46%
Tour '09 44 45.36%
Giro '11 21 21.65%
Waiting for tour '13 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-12, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiAp1984 View Post
2009. All sources indicate that he will never ever be that strong again.
Ha ha
Old 12-04-12, 06:28

Stupid phone I wanted to vote for tour 09 but voted for il giro
Old 12-04-12, 07:27
Banned

Obviously the 2007 Tour. Those who saw Contador Galibier attack and PdB when probably the peloton was never going slower than 1750 w/h during the whole 16 km ascent — cannot not agree with it. The Peyresourde twin flight became a real top of impunity in all senses. Apotheosis of the era as it is. I thought very much about the Tour over the years. Anyway it was the most spectacular GT for the last 10-15 years. Back then it seemed to me guys like Sastre and Kloden simply missed their form seriously, but I don't think so. They were waay behind naturally perhaps because of doctors' missteps or something. To a great extent, VAM record is one big conventionality compared to 2007, considering Verbier stage was flat in fact. According to some reports, the riders rode Arrate even faster than Verbier or something very very close, so it is the 2007 Tour.

The difference was the biggest in the 2011 Giro surely, but we should take into consideration rivals' form. They were weak even by their own standarts, but Scarponi. Yeah, all that is subjective perception certainly. The thread is based on it, though.

Last edited by airstream; 12-04-12 at 07:32.
Old 12-04-12, 07:39

Giro '11.
Difficult parcours, dominant from the start with a weak team.
Old 12-04-12, 08:19

I would say the 2007 TDF, that route was brutal- he had a close fought duel (with Rasmussen and Evans), he was impetuous and mentally strong.
The 2009 TDF and 2011 Giro he was great and the strongest but Andy was not a real challenge (even though he was really good in the mountains) and neither was Scarponi.

I hope he can be at his best in the 2013 TDF.

@Airstream: Kloden had crashed in 07, he came second to Cancellara in the prologue so it seemed like he had good form.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"

Last edited by greenedge; 12-04-12 at 08:22.
Old 12-04-12, 08:37

Klöden was supporting Vino, dropped back to help him up to Tignes, his race was effectively over from that point.
Old 12-04-12, 09:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Klöden was supporting Vino, dropped back to help him up to Tignes, his race was effectively over from that point.
But Klodi was overly strong in the Alps. I remember when he started pushing at Tignes after Savo dropped back. 30 second melted literally after first 500 m of Kloden's pull. By the way, he was a clear #favorite after the Alpes.
Old 12-04-12, 10:36

'O7 was probably some of his best climbing, but he didn't have the TTing he had in '09 and he therefore only narowly beat Evans and Leipheimer
Old 12-04-12, 10:44

2007 but that was a different time.

In 2009 he had one of the strongest teams ever seen in the sport so his team had the pace set as they liked all race. These conditions make optimum performance easier. What's telling is that he he was very dominant in the TT's as well as the mountains.

2011 Giro was the most impressive to watch, mainly because it was day after day of impressive mountain performances. Not sure he would of won by 6 minutes against an in form Andy Shleck though; lets face it an inform frank schleck would have been a better opponent than Nibali, Scarponi and the rest.

There are so many variables mention by everyone already in the discussion the only way to tell would be to get hold of the power numbers but for some reason I don't think we will
Old 12-04-12, 11:01

7th febuary.