Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 24 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-12, 00:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Because he didn't want to acknowledge that he was weaker than Ballan and Pozzato on the hills, I would guess.
Bingo.

When FC dumped him on the Muur in 2010 it's because he "cramped." When he was dumped at PR a week later it's because he was in a bad position.

I'm not Boonen bashing by any stretch. I've been in Belgium when Belgians win the RVV and when non-Belgians win.

A Belgian winning is a helluva lot more fun

But, I still say, if both are going well, FC wins more times than TB.
Old 12-11-12, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Bingo.

When FC dumped him on the Muur in 2010 it's because he "cramped." When he was dumped at PR a week later it's because he was in a bad position.

I'm not Boonen bashing by any stretch. I've been in Belgium when Belgians win the RVV and when non-Belgians win.

A Belgian winning is a helluva lot more fun

But, I still say, if both are going well, FC wins more times than TB.
No point in arguing with you if you just ignore the interview posted. It contradicts everything you claim.

If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he? It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-11-12, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
let me guess is it " I know you are but what am I"
it literally means "what you say are yourself with your head cut in half" something like that.

don't know if this translation does it justice but I'm sure you recognize calimero in this
Old 12-11-12, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
I don't vote in silly polls because I don't care who wins a poll.

This is what matters and Boonen has won a hell of a lot more than Cancellara.

Cancellara is good at winning polls on CN, but not much else.
I hope one of the mods or admins here can confirm you haven't voted in this poll then.
Old 12-11-12, 00:44

Quote:
No point in arguing with you if you just ignore the interview posted. It contradicts everything you claim.

If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he? It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.
You mean the part where Boonen says this?

Quote:
Pozzato was the strongest of the day.
At least he was being honest.

Quote:
If FC is supposed to win more than Boonen then why doesn't he?
Amazing how things happen during a bike race, isn't it?

Quote:
It's a silly statement to make with nothing to back it up.
Oh, I think there's plenty to back it up and I'd guess that about half the true cycling aficionados will agree with me and about half will agree with you. That's not nothing.
Old 12-11-12, 01:02

In some ways, the poll is unfair. Take away cobblestone ability from Boonen and you are left with a milquetoast husk that has no other reason for cycling.
Take away cobblestone ability from Cancellara and you still have currently one of the best time trialistists, classics winner, Strade Bianchi winner, Tour de Suisse winner and countless other accolades. Cancellara the cyclist has much more well rounded capability than Boonen. Boonen merely exists for 8 calendar days in the year.

Yes, I know its a digression and not the point of the thread. But I find it hard to think of Boonen as an equal or better than Cancellara at anything....except for maybe unintenionally doing coke. Boonen's got Cancellara beat on that.
Old 12-11-12, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
In some ways, the poll is unfair. Take away cobblestone ability from Boonen and you are left with a milquetoast husk that has no other reason for cycling.
Take away cobblestone ability from Cancellara and you still have currently one of the best time trialistists, classics winner, Strade Bianchi winner, Tour de Suisse winner and countless other accolades. Cancellara the cyclist has much more well rounded capability than Boonen. Boonen merely exists for 8 calendar days in the year.

Yes, I know its a digression and not the point of the thread. But I find it hard to think of Boonen as an equal or better than Cancellara at anything....except for maybe unintenionally doing coke. Boonen's got Cancellara beat on that.
Green jersey in the Tour, World champion in the road race, World Champion in the team time trial, 8 Grand Tour stages, yellow jersey in the Tour, 2 podiums in Milan-San Remo, 2-time Belgian champ(once on a hilly road race beating GVA and Gilbert), etc

But how could that ever compete against a 1.1 race.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 01:13.
Old 12-11-12, 01:13

Quote:
Green jersey in the Tour, World champion in the road race, World Champion in the team time trial, 8 Grand Tour stages, yellow jersey in the Tour, 2 podiums in Milan-San Remo, 2-time Belgian champ(once on a hilly road race beating GVA and Gilbert), etc

But how could that ever compete against a 1.1 race.
How on earth can Cancellara compete in the Belgian championship? Citing that is irrelevent. Team time trial? Irrelevent. Cancellara has won Milan San Remo, not just podiumed it. Sure, Boonen has won those fancy things in the past, but he now pretty much exists for cobbles season. The rest of the season he hibernates.

Look, I realise that to persuade someone from thinking otherwise when it comes to a rider is difficult, but I believe and always will believe that given my druthers, Cancellara > Boonen. You can't change my opinion and I can't change yours. C'est la vie.
Old 12-11-12, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
How on earth can Cancellara compete in the Belgian championship? Citing that is irrelevent. Team time trial? Irrelevent. Cancellara has won Milan San Remo, not just podiumed it. Sure, Boonen has won those fancy things in the past, but he now pretty much exists for cobbles season. The rest of the season he hibernates.

Look, I realise that to persuade someone from thinking otherwise when it comes to a rider is difficult, but I believe and always will believe that given my druthers, Cancellara > Boonen. You can't change my opinion and I can't change yours. C'est la vie.
Cancellara hasn't won a fancy time trial since 2010, so is that also irrelevant now?

What on earth has Cancellara competing somewhere to do with the fact that Boonen won a race on a hilly terrain against a much better cyclist than Cancellara?

Boonen actually won the WC road race, not just failed in it.

What you call "hibernating" is called not being able to race because of injuries in 2010-2011 after the spring classics. I guess Cancellara was just hibernating this year and only raced for one day this year. And crashed.

Perfect logic mate. If Boonen was Suisse he maybe could've won the Tour de Suisse as well. But alas, no important stage races to be fixed in Belgium.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 01:23.
Old 12-11-12, 01:21

Quote:
Cancellara hasn't won a fancy time trial since 2010, so is that also irrelevant now?

What on earth has Cancellara competing somewhere to do with the fact that Boonen won a race on a hilly terrain against a much better cyclist than Cancellara?

Boonen actually won the WC road race, not just failed in it.
You're not very good at reading last sentences. I won't convince you, you won't convince me. If Roger De Vlaeminck can think that Boonen's win at Paris Roubaix wasn't that impressive, I can think he's not the bees knees too. And De Vlaeminck knows more about cycling then I ever will.

Last edited by trompe le monde; 12-11-12 at 01:24.