Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 26 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-12, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Don't act surprised when you get reactions to your strongly worded opinions, you were probably bating for them as well. There's such a thing as being too tolerant by the way, so grow a pair and defend your opinion!

It just so happens to be that my opinion is that your opinion is bogus.

You said Boonen only rides for 8 days a year, but now you're unable to stand by that. Ok, whatever.

When someone makes a racial comment do you also say "you have your opinion and I have mine"? Just curious.
Okay I just noticed this. It's off topic, but I must respond.

Are you honestly putting on equal footing a potential discussion of an opinion on racism as being of equal weight to that of an opinion on a cyclist? Are you serious? Why do you wield counter statements like a hammer and start applying them to other facets that are beyond the scope of the discussion? Isn't that a little, um, irresponsible? And I know how you would probably respond by saying that 'I was being irresponsible with Boonen's palmares, being irresponsible with his race calendar, so it should apply', or something to that effect.

Get a grip. Do you honestly think my - according to you - laissez faire attitude about the topic of two cyclists, count them two cyclists, bleeds into all facets of my life? Are you utterly and unequivocally insane? This is just cycling, it in no way shapes or forms my attitude on topics such as the appartheid that happened in South Africa nor the segregation that happened in the American south. One deals with a matter of opinion that can be swayed, the other with a matter of fundamental human rights. Do you honestly think I'm so profoundly and helplessly stupid that I would conflate the two?

This is just a discussion on cycling, not a discussion on the drafting of the emancipation proclamation. Have some sense of proportion before you become compelled to psychoanalyse another poster.

Last edited by trompe le monde; 12-11-12 at 04:08.
Old 12-11-12, 03:59

Quote:
Cancellara hasn't won a decent race since 2010, so I guess that makes him irrelevant altogether. Not my logic, but yours.
E3 2011 wasn't a decent race? Multiple puctures + mechanical + catching and passing 2 breakaway groups + soloing to victory. One of my favorite races to re-watch.

I love Cancellara as an enthusiastic racer but I think Boonen is the smarter one on the cobbles. Not to mention he has a better team built around him than Cancellara has.
Old 12-11-12, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant12 View Post
E3 2011 wasn't a decent race? Multiple puctures + mechanical + catching and passing 2 breakaway groups + soloing to victory. One of my favorite races to re-watch.

I love Cancellara as an enthusiastic racer but I think Boonen is the smarter one on the cobbles. Not to mention he has a better team built around him than Cancellara has.
And the last sentence is one of the reasons why I value Cancellara over Boonen. His classics team has never had the quality of domestiques that Boonen has had at his disposal. I suppose during the CSC days, he had a better team around him, but now, given the choice, I would think that Cancellara would choose Boonen's Quick Step domestiques over his current Saxo Bank domestiques.

Last edited by trompe le monde; 12-11-12 at 04:11.
Old 12-11-12, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
Okay I just noticed this. It's off topic, but I must respond.

snip
Not my problem everything you say contradicts yourself. You make statements based on lies and call it an opinion. So yeah, I don't accept your "opinion" about Boonen. It's based on claims you have yet to back up. You're not willing to back them up, so you keep saying "this is my last post here". I ask you for the final time to back up your statement that Boonen only rides 8 days a season. And don't give me anymore of this pious nonsense, just back up your statement. I think it's insulting to a cyclist who has won the World Championship on the road, the green jersey in the Tour, 6 Tour stages, 2 Vuelta stages, multiple stage races, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfflplqpUt4

Does this look like a rider to you that only rides 8 days in April?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant12 View Post

It is indeed a great race to re-watch and won with a lot of panache, but it was not a big race. Especially because most of the favorites where at Gent-Wevelgem. I should've said big race instead of decent race, my apologies.

And yes his team is better, but up until 2011 they were pretty equal in team. And don't forget Boonen lost 2 opportunities in the Ronde van Vlaanderen because of his team. It was Cancellara's choice to join Radioshack, so it's his fault for making that decision.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 04:44.
Old 12-11-12, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
So crashing a lot is imperative to being a good bike handler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Where in gods name did you get that from?
Since you ask, this the sort of statements that make it seems like you may think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
**** bike handlers are less likely to take risks.
part of being the best bike handler is that you are constantly taking risks
Its pretty logical that people who take more risks are more likely to crash.
Frankly, I think you're somewhat misguided if you think there's a causal clause between being a good bike handler and taking risks.
Old 12-11-12, 09:04

Quote:

Still mad about the Goss thing?
No i actually do think goss is a superior sprinter to boonen and as ridiculous as it may sound to you im far from the only one.

your comment on the other hand is totally irrational caused by your well known hate for cancellara.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-11-12, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
In some ways, the poll is unfair. Take away cobblestone ability from Boonen and you are left with a milquetoast husk that has no other reason for cycling.
Take away cobblestone ability from Cancellara and you still have currently one of the best time trialistists, classics winner, Strade Bianchi winner, Tour de Suisse winner and countless other accolades. Cancellara the cyclist has much more well rounded capability than Boonen. Boonen merely exists for 8 calendar days in the year.

Yes, I know its a digression and not the point of the thread. But I find it hard to think of Boonen as an equal or better than Cancellara at anything....except for maybe unintenionally doing coke. Boonen's got Cancellara beat on that.
I will grab some popcorn and read everything el calimero will write starting... now!
Old 12-11-12, 09:21

Quote:
Tour de Suisse route had no mountains in it just so Cancellara could win his home Tour. A mountainous country with no mountains in its national Tour... I hope you're not that naive.

You were the one saying Boonen only performed in the cobbled classics, so don't moan when I give you evidence he doesn't. And that includes the Belgian Championship. Which takes place in June, without cobbles. Enough logic for you?

By your logic the discussion is closed because Cancellara is irrelevant on cobbles. Remember, didn't win an important race since 2010.
Results 1 Michael Albasini (Swi) Team Columbia - Highroad 5:24:04
2 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank
3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - N.G.C.
4 Olivier Zaugg (Swi) Liquigas
5 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha
6 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas
7 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
8 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana
9 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale
10 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team Columbia - Highroad

1 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - Highroad 4:56:41
2 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 0:00:02
3 Peter Velits (Svk) Team Milram 0:00:07
4 Olivier Zaugg (Swi) Liquigas
5 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Fuji-Servetto
6 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank
7 Rui Alberto Faria (Por) Caisse d'Epargne
8 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha
9 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - Highroad
10 Chris Anker Sörensen (Den) Team Saxo Bank

1 Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia - Highroad 4:12:31
2 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - N.G.C.
3 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:02
4 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale
5 Kim Kirchen (Lux) Team Columbia - Highroad
6 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne
7 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana
8 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas
9 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha
10 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
11 Rui Alberto Faria (Por) Caisse d'Epargne 0:00:08
12 Michael Albasini (Swi) Team Columbia - Highroad
13 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Team Columbia - Highroad 0:00:19
14 Eros Capecchi (Ita) Fuji-Servetto 0:00:37
15 Damien Monier (Fra) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:01:01

look at those names he's with up there on the climbs that year. boonen could do the same? look, he beat even one of your countrymen, monfort up crans montana
Old 12-11-12, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zam_Olyas View Post
Cats round here wants and feels the need to win an internet discussion, which can be hilarious and annoying for others.
especially el calimero, who even stays up all night to have the last word in an internet discussion I hope he's jobless for his boss' sake, as I'm sure not even boonen would lose any sleep over this topic, unlike him
Old 12-11-12, 09:50

Quote:

When someone makes a racial comment do you also say "you have your opinion and I have mine"? Just curious.
Are you seriously comparing saying cancellara is better than boonen to racism?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.