Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 27 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-12, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
No i actually do think goss is a superior sprinter to boonen and as ridiculous as it may sound to you im far from the only one.

your comment on the other hand is totally irrational caused by your well known hate for cancellara.
My comment was a joke, hence the emoticon. I don't hate Cancellara. But you were/are dead serious about Goss, that's what makes it so funny. Fact that you quote me without the emoticon says a lot Hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
especially el calimero, who even stays up all night to have the last word in an internet discussion I hope he's jobless for his boss' sake, as I'm sure not even boonen would lose any sleep over this topic, unlike him
I was writing my thesis. My promotor doesn't seem to mind me working at night. Not hard to post on a forum at the same time. Students staying up all night might sound strange to you, but it isn't Ryo.

Quote:
Are you seriously comparing saying cancellara is better than boonen to racism?
Nope, wasn't a discussion about who was better. It was a discussion about Boonen being a rider who only rides for 8 days a year. That's an opinion that is just as wrong as any other opinion based on fact-less statements.

I don't actually mind if he thinks Cancellara is better, but at least use a real reason instead of made up nonsense.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 10:02.
Old 12-11-12, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Actually stating Boonen only rides 8 days a year is not an opinion, but something you consider to be a fact. Which is not true as I showed. You feel the need to dismiss that proof, but that doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

Im pretty sure the 8 days.comment was hyperbole. Just like every.time you say that all cancellara ever won was the 2008 tds.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-11-12, 10:01

Quote:
Im pretty sure the 8 days.comment was hyperbole. Just like every.time you say that all cancellara ever won was the 2008 tds.
Strange considering he never won that. I'm sure I never said that.

Though I did praise his Tour de Suisse from 2008 yes.

I'm pretty sure him bringing up the 8 days comment multiple times he actually believes it.

Funniest part was him bringing up an interview where Boonen said the cobblestone races where the 3 most important weeks of his season as proof that Boonen only rides for 3 weeks. I guess when Contador says the Tour are the 3 most important weeks of his season that means he only lives for the Tour. But perhaps he was just your sock-puppet trying to bate me? (You don't mind falsely accusing me of that sort of stuff).
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 10:10.
Old 12-11-12, 10:14

Quote:

What on earth has Cancellara competing somewhere to do with the fact that Boonen won a race on a hilly terrain against a much better cyclist than Cancellara? .
See that's your problem. You actually think cancellara is.some 2nd grade cyclist.

Oh and btw, look who is bringing Gilbert up, again.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 12-11-12, 10:24

Quote:
See that's your problem. You actually think cancellara is.some 2nd grade cyclist.

Oh and btw, look who is bringing Gilbert up, again.
I was using his logic that past results are irrelevant because that's in the past. Surely last 2 years Phil >>>>> Cancellara.

And I will bring him up every time someone says Boonen is just cobbles and nothing more. If Boonen beating Phil on his home terrain isn't proof that Boonen is capable of more than just cobbles then I don't know what is? Maybe you can answer this.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 10:26.
Old 12-11-12, 11:08

Quote:
I was using his logic that past results are irrelevant because that's in the past. Surely last 2 years Phil >>>>> Cancellara.

And I will bring him up every time someone says Boonen is just cobbles and nothing more. If Boonen beating Phil on his home terrain isn't proof that Boonen is capable of more than just cobbles then I don't know what is? Maybe you can answer this.
boonen won that race over 3 years ago. So why are you emphasizing this Gilbert < canc last 2 years thing to validate a victory from 3 years ago?
Old 12-11-12, 11:09

Quote:
boonen won that race over 3 years ago. So why are you emphasizing this Gilbert < canc last 2 years thing to validate a victory from 3 years ago?
What makes you think I agree with that kind of logic? I'm just using it to point out how absurd it sounds. Obviously my post sounds absurd, it was intended to be that way.

He shrugged off Boonen's achievements outside of April as if they were irrelevant and a thing of the past, ignoring his many injuries. Using his logic, I can turn Cancellara into an irrelevant rider because he failed to perform in the first part of 2009 and 2011-2012.

Boonen is obviously not past it and still capable of what he did 3 years ago. Don't you agree?

If you can beat a guy that came fourth in AGR(best on the Cauberg, but late breakaway survived), third in the Ronde, fourth in LBL and won Lombardia that year on his terrain... Yeah, not just cobbles is he?
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-11-12 at 11:35.
Old 12-11-12, 11:48

Ok, maybe it's time to call it a tie?

(in fact, current score really is 50/50)
Old 12-11-12, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
Ok, maybe it's time to call it a tie?

(in fact, current score really is 50/50)
Indeed, perhaps we should the coming season determine the current situation.
Two core races: RVV and P-R 2013.
Old 12-11-12, 14:38

Okay, I admit I was wrong to:

-Say that Boonen was only relevant for 8 days of the year.

Was this comment clouded by my admitted slight dislike for Boonen? Yes.

Does this in any way change my opinion that Cancellara is better than Boonen? No.

For me it is an issue of quality over quantity. When Cancellara beat Boonen in 2010 in both the Ronde and Roubaix, he beat him rather emphatically. Crushed his will even. Those two wins were the most dominant classics wins I can recall, at least for me.

Should two races be used to measure the worth of a rider? I don't know, but to paraphrase American renaissance man and part-time Shamus Jeff 'The Dude' Lebowski, "yeah, well that's just my opinion, man".

Last edited by trompe le monde; 12-11-12 at 14:43.