Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-12, 01:02

Both at their best, I'd say Boonen just ahead of Cancellara.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-05-12, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
what? you are not even making sense.
What dont you understand?

You tried to argue that Boonen is better because he "dominated last season" and when Ryo gently pointed out to you that Cancellara had been injured you dismissed that with "Boonen was injured in 2011".

So in my post i mocked your use of 2012 as an argument by pointing out that Cancellara DNFd Ronde and DNS'd PR

And whether you like it or not i will continue to label the argument that 2012 proves Boonen to be better as "desperate".

Quote:
i don't think ryo was still talking about the odds but why did boonen dominate this year, which seems to be because of cancellara's injury. funny enough i seem to recall cancellara racing both E3 and GW just fine so by the time he got injured at the ronde, the score was already 2-0 for boonen.
I wont totally dismiss E3 and GW and chapeau to Boonen for winning this and especially for his awessome performance in Omloop even though he lost the sprint, but if and when you are willing to step above the level of personal attacks, i am confident you will aknowledge that at this level, when comparing the top 2 cobbled riders of a generation, it really is about Paris Roubaix and Ronde van Vlanderen.

Especially since E3 and GW were won in mass sprints whereas neither PR nor RVV went down like that, nor tend to go down like that, so to argue that Boonen is currently a better cobbled rider because he won the warmups which are nowhere near as difficult as the real thing, is imo stretching it

Quote:
at the end of the day it's all about the score board:
I have already aknowledged that Boonen's wins last decade give him the better palmares on cobbles, but that this does not neccesarily give him the win in the question who is (as in NOW) the better cobbled rider, anymore than Basso having 2gts on his palmares makes him a better gt rider today than say Froome

To keep shouting that Boonen has the better palmares if we go back to the Lance era, as if its some sort of a game changer, even though this has already been conceded and the flaw in the argument has already been pointed out is, you know the word

desperate
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-05-12, 01:44

Spartacus because romans rode cobbles clean (oops sorry)

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-05-12, 01:49

I think Cancellara is the better cobblestone rider, however this isn't by a large margin. And Boonen is faster.

This means that Boonen can often stay with Cancellara's moves (as the difference between the two isn't large enough for FC to drop TB), and Boonen then out sprints Fabian.

It also depends how much charge is left in Fabian's batteries when it comes time to attack...!!!KIDDING!!! Let's stay calm everyone!
Old 12-05-12, 02:43

2005: Boonen
2006: Boonen
2007: Boonen(easily the strongest in Roubaix, won E3 Prijs and crashed during the Ronde)
2008: Boonen
2009: Boonen
2010: Cancellara
2011: Cancellara
2012: Boonen

Is this supposed to be a contest? Because it really isn't. Boonen has been good year after year and that is more impressive than one great year of Cancellara. And who ever said the 2010 Ronde was their only true battle hasn't been paying much attention. It doesn't count as a true battle when Cancellara gets dropped hard? Or when he gets distanced 30 bike lengths in a sprint?
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-05-12 at 02:53.
Old 12-05-12, 08:53

If we are talking about who is the best at the moment, then I can only say that Boonen looked much stronger in E3 and GW than Cancellara.
Old 12-05-12, 11:12
Banned

So that's the secret of time trialing and cobbles.

Boonen only has got cobbles.
Old 12-05-12, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
So that's the secret of time trialing and cobbles.
Boonen only has got cobbles.

horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-05-12 at 13:26.
Old 12-05-12, 12:34

This debate is never ending. Schumks like myself think the belgian by a notch.
Old 12-05-12, 12:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post

Sooth.
If Boonen could add Yellow jersey (for a day or two), and Cancellara road Rainbow to their resume, season would be nice. But neither is mentioning these goals.
Cancellara thinks about second part of the season, though.