Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better Cobblestone rider: Boonen or Cancellara?
Boonen 76 52.05%
Cancellara 70 47.95%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-12, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Cancellara was there for 6 of the 7 Monuments Boonen won. Boonen only beat Cancellara in the sprint in one of those. 5 other times Cancellara got dropped or crashed(once).

Ronde van Vlaanderen 2005: Cancellara finishes more than 10 minutes down.
Ronde van Vlaanderen 2006: Cancellara finishes more than a minute down.
Paris-Roubaix 2005: Cancellara finishes almost 4 minutes down.
Paris Roubaix 2009: Cancellara finishes almost 7 minutes down.

And for the semi-classic cobbled race:

E3 Harelbeke 2006: Boonen won in a sprint with two. Cancellara got dropped.
E3 Harelbeke 2007: Boonen won in a sprint with four. Cancellara was there, but got outsprinted.
E3 Harelbeke 2008: breakaway survives, but Boonen is once again the strongest of the favorites. Cancellara got dropped
Dwars door Vlaanderen 2007: Boonen wins the sprint. Cancellara got dropped even from there.
In E3 2008, Canc was clearly the best. Remember taaienberg? You prob thought no one would remember that race lol Canc even tried to drop Boonen but no use and had a teammate up front who btw won.
In E3 2007 Canc almost won the sprint while at that time Boonen was top 3 sprinter. You make it seem Canc became 4th but he was 2nd!!! lol
Can't count PR '09 btw
Old 12-05-12, 15:29

Still pretty random considering this thread is about cobbles and nothing else. I think you just saw an opportunity to slip your love interest Gilbert into a discussion where he doesn't have any place. Probably wasn't the first time.

Andrea Noč on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
Old 12-05-12, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Then why was he dropped twice by Cancellara in that years RVV.

And whatsmore both times he actually tried to hold Cancellaras wheel.
Cancellara never dropped Chavanel.

If you're talking about Boonen: he got sick during Tirreno-Adriatico and was coming back from a knee injury. Those things tend to undermine your preparation.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-05-12, 15:31

Y'know, every year we have this same discussion here, and every year posters seem to think that the only way to really win a classic is to drop all your competition and ride to the line alone, and that when a rider wins by out sprinting his group it's kind of, well, effeminate. A wussy way to win--especially if the guy who wins didn't look like the strongest guy in the race. While I'lll agree that riders who suck wheels to the finish and then sprint are classless (the way Pozzato used to be), a) Boonen doesn't do that, and b) a sprinter is a sprinter--he's got a tool and it's the other guys' job to drop him, so that he can't use it. Boonen sprinting to a win is every bit as much of a win as riding solo to the end. Period. So ultimately all it comes down to is: Boonen, 7 cobbled classics, Cancellara, 3.
Old 12-05-12, 15:32

Clearing up the issue of 'right now'.

The aim of this thread is 'who do you think is the overall better cobblestone rider' based on their performances until now. So not just who is right now better.

By that logic Wiggins is a better GC rider than AS.
Old 12-05-12, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
In E3 2008, Canc was clearly the best. Remember taaienberg? You prob thought no one would remember that race lol Canc even tried to drop Boonen but no use and had a teammate up front who btw won.
In E3 2007 Canc almost won the sprint while at that time Boonen was top 3 sprinter. You make it seem Canc became 4th but he was 2nd!!! lol
Can't count PR '09 btw ;)
I can and I did. Just like I can say Cancellara was stronger than Boonen in 2011.

And I remember E3 2008 very well and Boonen was definitely stronger. He was also stronger in the Ronde van Vlaanderen 2008. But you know, team-mate up front. Same story for 2009.

In E3 2007 Boonen wasted more energy than Cancellara during the race and finished it off in the sprint. I did not make it sound like he got fourth, I merely stated a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Still pretty random considering this thread is about cobbles and nothing else. I think you just saw an opportunity to slip your love interest Gilbert into a discussion where he doesn't have any place. Probably wasn't the first time.
How is it random? Someone says Boonen is all about cobbles I point out he has achieved other great things besides cobbled races. That happens to include Paris-Tours. I would have showed that picture regardless of who won it. He's also in the other picture by the way.

Try and actually read which post I quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
exactly.

Why though then do you keep arguing about who was better between Cancellara and Boonen in 2005?
I'm not doing that. I'm arguing who was better in 2002-2009 and again in 2012. Do you want me to ignore 9 years in favor of two? And like Miburo said, it's not about who's better right now, but overall.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-05-12 at 16:03.
Old 12-05-12, 17:09

So Froome is a better cobbles rider than Garzelli, right?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-05-12, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
This I agree with. Compare Boonen's win in Flanders this year to Cancellara's in 2010. Just so much more convincing. Boonen was struggling to hold the wheel of Pozzato and Ballan uphill.
exactly. when cancellara wins, he rules over the race. I also remember that e3 win, something I've never seen boonen do or will ever see him do.
Old 12-05-12, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Yet he couldn't drop Chavanel or Hushovd anymore in 2011. I think Boonen in top form is just that little bit stronger than Hushovd and Chavanel.

2010 is also irrelevant now then.
what are you talking about? roubaix 2011? he dropped everyone there in the end and nearly won the race, only vansummeren stayed away
Old 12-05-12, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
exactly. when cancellara wins, he rules over the race. I also remember that e3 win, something I've never seen boonen do or will ever see him do.
You mean when all the good riders were riding Gent-Wevelem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpA8-lSI44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTSTlt2Zqjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yy4dj-koM

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.988671

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.988645
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-05-12 at 17:16.