2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours - Page 22 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 12-21-12, 21:23
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Ofcourse those riders do well in RVV as well because RVV is more of a hilly kind of race with little cobble effect.

Eroica has even no effect at all. You could just put Valverde there and he'd win or top 3 in good form.
The stupid mythe that gravel roads are somehow similar to cobbles should be broken. It has no effect other than that it looks nice and it sucks when it's wet and muddy
It's not similar to asphalt either lol. No one said it was just like cobbles, no one that's ridden over it at least. And I've read most post-race interviews of Strade Bianche.

Cobbles have a big effect in Flanders. A guy like Bettini always got dropped on the Flemish hills during the final despite his big wish to win the Ronde.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 12-21-12, 21:37
Dekker_Tifosi's Avatar
Dekker_Tifosi Dekker_Tifosi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands
Posts: 18,620
Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi
Default

I agree partly, SOME cobbles have effect in Flanders, especially the ones who lay very badly, and on the Muur. But definately not all, some are just like a highway.

And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYOP88 View Post
Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 12-21-12, 22:59
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
I agree partly, SOME cobbles have effect in Flanders, especially the ones who lay very badly, and on the Muur. But definately not all, some are just like a highway.

And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say
tour of flanders is 90% placing before the hills and 10 % hilly skills. basically an agr only with less strong field
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 12-21-12, 23:11
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
tour of flanders is 90% placing before the hills and 10 % hilly skills. basically an agr only with less strong field
Yet the top 10 of Flanders is stronger than the top 10 of the bad beer race.

If you had any knowledge of cycling you'd know that in the Ronde van Vlaanderen the last hill is around 12km from the finish line while the AGR ends on the Cauberg. Never mind that the hills are of different length and steepness. Oh and they're cobbled. I take it you've never ridden over the Oude Kwaremont if you think it's the same as the Cauberg.

Or you know, the Paterberg which is a totally different hill than the final hills in AGR. Only 400 meters long, but very steep. Takes a different kind of rider.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-21-12 at 23:20.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 12-21-12, 23:44
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,505
Default

cobbled climbs are hard as an amateur yes. but these are pro's that go over them twice as hard. for them it matters not much.

also your statement about top ten of flanders being better than agr couldn't be more off. just look at past 10 years and almost every year the agr has way better(higher ranked) riders in the top ten. those are facts
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12-22-12, 00:00
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
cobbled climbs are hard as an amateur yes. but these are pro's that go over them twice as hard. for them it matters not much.

also your statement about top ten of flanders being better than agr couldn't be more off. just look at past 10 years and almost every year the agr has way better(higher ranked) riders in the top ten. those are facts
Facts that you made up apparently. I however I'm more impressed by the winners of the Ronde van Vlaanderen than those of the AGR.

So if the Ronde and AGR are basically the same race, but AGR has stronger competition... Explain me how Gilbert can win the AGR with two fingers in his nose, but hasn't won the Ronde van Vlaanderen so far?

Cobbled hills become easier when you are pro, but normal hills not? Great logic, keep going.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 12-22-12, 09:47
maltiv maltiv is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
And in Eroica I really doubt it has any effect, sorry to say
It definitely does have an effect. You have to use a lot of energy at just staying upright and keeping your position, so those who are experienced in such save a lot of energy compared to nervous climbers. It's no coincidence that former MTB-rider Löfkvist, who's a very mediocre hilly-classics rider, has been 1st and 2nd on two attempts in Strade Bianche.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 12-22-12, 10:02
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
It definitely does have an effect. You have to use a lot of energy at just staying upright and keeping your position, so those who are experienced in such save a lot of energy compared to nervous climbers. It's no coincidence that former MTB-rider Löfkvist, who's a very mediocre hilly-classics rider, has been 1st and 2nd on two attempts in Strade Bianche.
that's why he won emillia in the past
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 12-22-12, 10:09
Pentacycle's Avatar
Pentacycle Pentacycle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Facts that you made up apparently. I however I'm more impressed by the winners of the Ronde van Vlaanderen than those of the AGR.

So if the Ronde and AGR are basically the same race, but AGR has stronger competition... Explain me how Gilbert can win the AGR with two fingers in his nose, but hasn't won the Ronde van Vlaanderen so far?

Cobbled hills become easier when you are pro, but normal hills not? Great logic, keep going.
Gilbert could have won RvV in 2011, if the finish would've been a few kms after the Bosberg. The Ronde doesn't necessarily reward the strongest rider,
the AGR does that more often with the Cauberg-finish. Gilbert is often the strongest (cobbled) hilly rider, without getting the win.

And AGR having a better field is a simple fact, most of the riders who did the Ronde are there, plus a lot of climbers who never ride the cobbles.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 12-22-12, 10:28
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
that's why he won emillia in the past
Lol. Two things are very funny about this post.

1. Löfkvist didn't win Emilia, he got 3d behind Robert Gesink
2. By this same logic, Gesink is a great hilly classics rider

I never thought you'd say that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.