2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours - Page 81 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #801  
Old 02-20-13, 13:49
BillytheKid's Avatar
BillytheKid BillytheKid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Left of the Duke City
Posts: 2,408
Default

Chris Horner annouces a few day ago a schedule much the same as last year.

Schedule looks like Tirreno, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and then back for @AmgenTourofCali in May. Looking forward to getting the season started!


Althought he's mention nothing about the Ardennes Classics. (He rode them all last year still sick from mid Pias Vasco) I think he would prefer to do just Amstel alone and then return the Cali. The Cali organization there must have been listening to whiners like me and has improved itself with three uphill finishes!

The Cali should really be his ultimate goal I would think, but he will always contest a race given the chance. Maybe limiting his expectation would be wiser because the Cali could be a win for him in a likely last season despite what he is saying.

His name has not been mentioned as a favourite at TA and even with a similar Cancellera led squad (prepping for MSR) this year's field has more depth, still a top is 10 ten is likely if he's the protected rider. And Pais Vasco? The oldster can do well if he remains healthy, but the Cali is his only likely possible win.

Another grand tour? Maybe.
__________________
I tell ya, it's not the water.
Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 02-20-13, 15:29
Unkown's Avatar
Unkown Unkown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheKid View Post
Chris Horner annouces a few day ago a schedule much the same as last year.

Schedule looks like Tirreno, Catalunya, Pais Vasco and then back for @AmgenTourofCali in May. Looking forward to getting the season started!


Althought he's mention nothing about the Ardennes Classics. (He rode them all last year still sick from mid Pias Vasco) I think he would prefer to do just Amstel alone and then return the Cali. The Cali organization there must have been listening to whiners like me and has improved itself with three uphill finishes!

The Cali should really be his ultimate goal I would think, but he will always contest a race given the chance. Maybe limiting his expectation would be wiser because the Cali could be a win for him in a likely last season despite what he is saying.

His name has not been mentioned as a favourite at TA and even with a similar Cancellera led squad (prepping for MSR) this year's field has more depth, still a top is 10 ten is likely if he's the protected rider. And Pais Vasco? The oldster can do well if he remains healthy, but the Cali is his only likely possible win.

Another grand tour? Maybe.
He should ride the Vuelta because of all the uphill finishes. If RSLT was smart they would send Andy and Frank there, plus Horner, and they could probably win the overal. I have doubts that Andy will be ready to compete for the win at the Tour so he should do the Vuelta with his brother and Horner, and RSLT would have 3 really strong guys to choose as a leader once they hit the mountains.
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 02-20-13, 15:40
macnir macnir is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: China
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Interesting.. Do you know how the "rest" of his schedule looks like?
Basque, Romandie, Eschborn-Frankfurt, Dauphine, Tour.
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 02-20-13, 15:49
BillytheKid's Avatar
BillytheKid BillytheKid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Left of the Duke City
Posts: 2,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
He should ride the Vuelta because of all the uphill finishes. If RSLT was smart they would send Andy and Frank there, plus Horner, and they could probably win the overal. I have doubts that Andy will be ready to compete for the win at the Tour so he should do the Vuelta with his brother and Horner, and RSLT would have 3 really strong guys to choose as a leader once they hit the mountains.
I have doubts they can ever race cohesively as a winning Grand Tour Team, but I have always said Horner could do well as a stage hunter in the Vuelta, buth RSLT seem to be overall team title go-getters..which is not exactly stellar. His age is becoming a factor despite what he says. I think he can still ride well and this Cali has many of the same elements that allowed him to win the race in 2011. The opening stages are on his home roads. That will be his focus short term I am almost certain.
__________________
I tell ya, it's not the water.

Last edited by BillytheKid; 02-20-13 at 15:51.
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 02-20-13, 15:53
Unkown's Avatar
Unkown Unkown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheKid View Post
I have doubts they can ever race cohesively as a winning Grand Tour Team, but I have always said Horner could do well as a stage hunter in the Vuelta, buth RSLT seem to be overall team title go-getters..which is not exactly stellar. His age is becoming a factor despite what he says. I think he can still ride well and this Cali has many of the same elements that allowed him to win the race in 2011. The opening stages are on his home roads. That will be his focus short term I am almost certain.
Yes, Cali should be his biggest goal of the season, and I am sure it is in his mind too. I wonder if he has big ambitions for the Tour, sure he would love to go if he could. Hard for me to se RSLT taking him though will all the young talent they have coming up.
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 02-20-13, 15:55
BillytheKid's Avatar
BillytheKid BillytheKid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Left of the Duke City
Posts: 2,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnir View Post
Basque, Romandie, Eschborn-Frankfurt, Dauphine, Tour.
Romandie would be a departure from the Ardennes, but makes sense. I had not heard anything beyond Vasco. Where did you hear the rest?
__________________
I tell ya, it's not the water.
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 02-20-13, 15:58
BillytheKid's Avatar
BillytheKid BillytheKid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Left of the Duke City
Posts: 2,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Yes, Cali should be his biggest goal of the season, and I am sure it is in his mind too. I wonder if he has big ambitions for the Tour, sure he would love to go if he could. Hard for me to se RSLT taking him though will all the young talent they have coming up.
Spot on.

Also, the Vuelta is out of the limelight, which is better in the current climate in the US, but I wonder if he knows that.
__________________
I tell ya, it's not the water.

Last edited by BillytheKid; 02-20-13 at 16:05.
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 02-20-13, 16:42
macnir macnir is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: China
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillytheKid View Post
Romandie would be a departure from the Ardennes, but makes sense. I had not heard anything beyond Vasco. Where did you hear the rest?
His website. He just updated the calendar
actually I'm expecting him a re-try at Ardennes
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 02-26-13, 13:17
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,383
Default

Anyone else worried that Amaury are going to **** up the Crit International route by turning it into July recon?
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 02-26-13, 15:59
Netserk's Avatar
Netserk Netserk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 11,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Anyone else worried that Amaury are going to **** up the Crit International route by turning it into July recon?
I'd wish it was the other way round
__________________
Cancellara is like The Black Album. Really good but way overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Landis
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.