BC and the Tour of Britain - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-07-12, 10:30

Default BC and the Tour of Britain

Not strictly doping per se, but very curious to see who gets awarded the contract down the track: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...to-open-tender

I know a certain Irishman well connected to the UCI president who organises races...
Old 12-07-12, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Not strictly doping per se, but very curious to see who gets awarded the contract down the track: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...to-open-tender

I know a certain Irishman well connected to the UCI president who organises races...
Well, if you know something about tender processes you know there can be a lot of dubious stuff creeping in. But Cookson will no doubt be providing all the process transparency required. Such as tender specs required for the bid, including key capabilities, existing relationships, revenue/cost estimates, etc. And then how they will evaluate the proposals and come to conclude on the winning bid.

A bit like the IOC process for awarding Olympics or UCI process for awarding World Championships I would imagine. Full transparency to take away any doubt the fans may have on things being rigged. BEcause why would you want people to come to that conclusion if you have nothing to hide?

“Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Old 12-07-12, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Well, if you know something about tender processes you know there can be a lot of dubious stuff creeping in. But Cookson will no doubt be providing all the process transparency required. Such as tender specs required for the bid, including key capabilities, existing relationships, revenue/cost estimates, etc. And then how they will evaluate the proposals and come to conclude on the winning bid.

A bit like the IOC process for awarding Olympics or UCI process for awarding World Championships I would imagine. Full transparency to take away any doubt the fans may have on things being rigged. BEcause why would you want people to come to that conclusion if you have nothing to hide?
The CN article reads like a BS bingo card full of vapid phrases:

Quote:
fresh look at how the Tour of Britain can deliver:
* continued growth and
* profile for the sport.

Most crucially, we want to assure our

current and future members and all cycling fans

that we will have their interests at heart throughout this process and we look forward to further developing an event that reflects the current status of our sport in this country.”
That last bit - the crucially bit - is complete and utter bulldust. How someone in his position can say that and have people actually believe it is beyond me.

It sickens me.
Old 12-07-12, 11:10
Banned

Quote:
The CN article reads like a BS bingo card full of vapid phrases:

That last bit - the crucially bit - is complete and utter bulldust. How someone in his position can say that and have people actually believe it is beyond me.

It sickens me.
Have to say, Wiggo, you must have a weak stomach.

That's pretty standard 'stakeholder' guff you find absolutely anywhere - I'd be amazed if other Nat feds, and frankly other sports, didn't use similar phrasing when setting up pro events, tenders and the like.

It does rather come across as if you're itching for a fight.

2c.
Old 12-07-12, 11:14
Administrator

Why on earth did this start out in the Clinic????

Moving it.

Susan
Old 12-07-12, 11:30

Because only people in England loves doping.
Old 12-07-12, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
Why on earth did this start out in the Clinic????

Moving it.

Susan
McQuaid doesn't dope, but there's threads about him in the Clinic.

If Darach McQuaid gets the gig in 2014, it's just one more piece to a revolting puzzle.
Old 12-07-12, 12:04

Quote:

Seriously is there nothing you cant spin into an anti Wiggans/ Anti UK borefest. You have created most tedious thread ever re Sky go back and hide under that rock please
Old 12-07-12, 12:08

Dearest Wiggo, have you ever watched the Tour of Britain? Did you know for example the rider you described as 'being from an Amateur team' won it last year?
Old 12-07-12, 18:15

Quote:
McQuaid doesn't dope, but there's threads about him in the Clinic.

If Darach McQuaid gets the gig in 2014, it's just one more piece to a revolting puzzle.
SweetSpot builds the event, then BC shops it out looking for a higher bidder. If that isn't classic short-sighted, small-time sports management the UCI does so well, then I don't know what is.

Martin, the tender process varies depending on the country. In the U.S. USAC posts tenders for national championships only. If you want to do an event that ends up on the UCI's world calendar, you deal with both the U.S. federation and Agile. In the U.S. it is extremely difficult to make the event business model work if you want to be on the UCI's global calendar. UCI's costs, on top of USA Cycling's costs are ridiculous for high-ranking competitive events. I'm pretty sure that is by design to concentrate money in the Elite peloton.

The UK may be under more and different standards because the sports are government funded. Could the event be profitable in the UK, or is it just considered a public good expense?

I predict World Cycling Productions for the win!

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 12-07-12 at 18:19.