Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 21 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 13:53
Administrator

you do realize realize rasmussen is 6 months away from turning 39 don't you? and that he already was 33 in july 2007. he had also been a high level pro for over 5 years. . . how the hell would he all of the sudden improve so much? what you are saying would make sense if he was 27/28/29 in 2007 but since he was 33 at the time, what you are saying makes absolutely no sense.
Old 12-13-12, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
you do realize realize rasmussen is 6 months away from turning 39 don't you? and that he already was 33 in july 2007. he had also been a high level pro for over 5 years. . . how the hell would he all of the sudden improve so much? what you are saying would make sense if he was 27/28/29 in 2007 but since he was 33 at the time, what you are saying makes absolutely no sense.
Oh, yes, shame on me, I really didnīt notice he was that old in 2007... So you and you all are probably right...

So I think 2007 and 2008 wouldīve been his Tours.
Old 12-13-12, 14:03
Administrator

08 would certainly be within his grasp but he would have to really fight for it as not only was sastre super strong but the route had 2 big itt's and CSC and monster of a team

but this is about the future anyway

Last edited by Parrulo; 12-13-12 at 14:05.
Old 12-13-12, 14:05

Quote:
08 would certainly be within his grasp but he would have to really fight for it as not only was sastre super strong but the route had 2 big itt's and CSC and monster of a team
In this purely theoretical case, Rasmussen would have had a strong team as well of course... Menchov got 3d in that Tour. And Thomas Dekker would have gotten one year stronger.
Old 12-13-12, 14:07

Quote:
Wouldīve have been a great TdF, thatīs for sure... Just imagine they wouldnīt have dropped out the Saunioer guys... So Rasmussen/Menchov vs Sastre/Schlecks vs Ricco... But back to topic, I stop dreaming and imagining now.
Old 12-13-12, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
Tour 2007. If he wouldnīt have been taken out, heīd have dominated from there on, for maybe three or four years, close to Contador.
Rassmussen was given the usual amount of latitude in his attacks in 2007 by his rivals, anticipating his usual fail in the ITT. His remarkable improvement over 2006 in the ITT was a stunning surprise to his opponents. Granted he was still unmatched (except by Contador) in the mountains but he would not have been able to gain the same advantage in later years as he did in 2007.
Old 12-13-12, 18:15

Great point @Angrilu, he gained a lot of time at Tignes.
The 08 TDF would have been Contadors if allowed to ride.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-13-12, 19:01

Quote:
I think itīs not possible to predict what Jungels, Dombrowski and others will do, th start from zero by entering the pro peloton.

Looking at the guys whoīve already ridden one or two pro seasons, I donīt really see anyone whoīll dominate everything, but that doesnīt mean anything.

Ullrich was second in his first ever Tour in 1996, aged 22, whereas Contador and Rasmussen needed some time to become dominators.

Andy Schleck was maybe similar to Ullrich, being top nearly already from the beginning.

The problem with predictions is that GT top riders peak from 27/28 to 32, so we wonīt really know before.

In the next years, it will remain between Contador, A.Schleck, Froome, Wiggins, VDB, Van Garderen, Kreuziger, maybe Fuglsang, and few others.
VDB, Kreuziger and Fuglsang over Nibali, Gesink and to a lesser extent Pinot?
With Kreuziger, I believe his time for contending in grand tours is past and maybe he should focus on week long stage races and the hilly classics. VDB seems stuck in his development and just is missing that certain something that gets him over the hump to being an actual winner instead of being a perpetual stage race contender. Fuglsang I can't see battling with the likes of the elite in any grand tour.
Old 12-13-12, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
VDB, Kreuziger and Fuglsang over Nibali, Gesink and to a lesser extent Pinot?
With Kreuziger, I believe his time for contending in grand tours is past and maybe he should focus on week long stage races and the hilly classics. VDB seems stuck in his development and just is missing that certain something that gets him over the hump to being an actual winner instead of being a perpetual stage race contender. Fuglsang I can't see battling with the likes of the elite in any grand tour.
S***, I forgot Nibali and Gesink...
There are so many good GT riders on quite a similar level, thatīs amazing.

Few years ago, it was

Armstrong
Ullrich
Rest,

these times are gone.
Old 12-13-12, 20:02

Quote:
S***, I forgot Nibali and Gesink...
There are so many good GT riders on quite a similar level, thatīs amazing.

Few years ago, it was

Armstrong
Ullrich
Rest,

these times are gone.
Currently it's

Contador
rest.

Maybe Froome has the potential to bridge the divide, as does Schleck 2.0.