Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 22 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-13-12, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
In this purely theoretical case, Rasmussen would have had a strong team as well of course... Menchov got 3d in that Tour. And Thomas Dekker would have gotten one year stronger.
I think the coupling of Menchov and Rassmussen would've ended in a messy divorce. All I remember is Rassmussen saying something to the media during one of the Tours (2006?) along the lines of "Menchov couldn't get his a$$ over the Galibier". I think Rassmussen's continued presence would've hastened Menchov's departure form Rabo.
Old 12-13-12, 20:42

Changing the topic. What about Sergei Chernetskiy? Good climb, good iTT. Strong in all terrains. The new Menchov?
Old 12-13-12, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
I think the coupling of Menchov and Rassmussen would've ended in a messy divorce. All I remember is Rassmussen saying something to the media during one of the Tours (2006?) along the lines of "Menchov couldn't get his a$$ over the Galibier". I think Rassmussen's continued presence would've hastened Menchov's departure form Rabo.
But their relationship improved a lot in 2007īs Tour... Menchov was very loyal to MR, and even left the race frustrated, shortly after Rasmussen got suspended.
Old 12-13-12, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post

Few years ago, it was

Armstrong
Ullrich
Rest,

these times are gone.
How so? Andy Schleck circa 2009-2010 was comparable to Ullrich. Far better than everyone else; the only one who could really challenge Armstrong but who was ultimately always going to be beaten by him. That sounds similar to Contador vs Andy Schleck to me.

Granted we have no idea if 09-10 Schleck will ever come back but if he does he is head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 12-13-12, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Changing the topic. What about Sergei Chernetskiy? Good climb, good iTT. Strong in all terrains. The new Menchov?
Gonna fail like Novikov did. Happens to almost every young talented Russian.
Old 12-14-12, 00:34

Quote:
I think Rasmussen also would have improved massively. He won a MTF in 2003īs Vuelta, and then have a look at his Tours... Good in 2005, better in 2006, winner in 2007 (with massively improved ITT performances). If he would have continued like that, a Sastre wouldnīt have had any chance against him in 2008.

2009 and 2010, it wouldīve been Contador vs Rasmussen, not Contador against Schleck.

2011 was a lame Tour, Evans was able to win. Evans was worlds behind Rasmussen in 2007, 2011 could have been the last year of Rasmussens Tour leadership, 2012 he would certainly have been on the way down, like Menchov was in 2012.

Rasmussen only started to find his best package in 2007, he wouldīve had yellow years ahead of him.
Climbing Evans was but he could have paced himself, then relied on his ITT. Sastre rode great in 08- thoroughly deserving (though he did have a great team). I doubt Rasmussen would have won the 2011 TDF, he would have been too old and riders would have shut down his attacks like they shut down all others.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Old 12-14-12, 13:01

Quote:
But their relationship improved a lot in 2007īs Tour... Menchov was very loyal to MR, and even left the race frustrated, shortly after Rasmussen got suspended.
Menchov always seemed to be low-maintenance star, willing to do whatever was necessary or desired by management with little if any drama. I think eventually he would've bailed if his opportunities were being compromised by Rassmussen. He just doesn't seem the type to rock the boat.
Old 12-14-12, 14:15
Banned

Hilarious thing a weak 2006 TdF Menchov made Chicken cook up that genial combination. To improve TT in off-season, to go into breakaway covering up himself with fight for polka dot in order to start firing in GC. It was a brilliant strategic move. Hell, do you realize that meant to be the strongest climber of that Tour in that era? It is a synonym of the strongest climber we ever saw.
Old 12-14-12, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillstruggle View Post
How so? Andy Schleck circa 2009-2010 was comparable to Ullrich. Far better than everyone else; the only one who could really challenge Armstrong but who was ultimately always going to be beaten by him. That sounds similar to Contador vs Andy Schleck to me.

Granted we have no idea if 09-10 Schleck will ever come back but if he does he is head and shoulders above the rest.
why wouldnt he come back?
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-14-12, 23:10

I am hoping there will be a battle royale between Pinot and Quintana rather than the likes of TJVG and Talansky.

Vino twins are two young, but they will dominate in the 20s