Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 7 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-09-12, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Omg Alberto is one of the most talented riders in the peloton, I simply won't believe froome can beat Alberto when they're both at their best. Froome his equal when it comes to climbing, this beats everything and is the most stupid thing I've ever heard
You have to realize that someone who started watching cycling in July 2011 will only have seen Contador crack on Galibier, fail to drop Levi in San Luis and lose mountain after mountain to Purito at the VUelta. In that same time he has seen Froome 2nd the Vuelta and win a stage while domestiquing, and be the best climbr in a Tour de France.

So its not that surprising he thinks Froome is Contadors equal in climbing. Hell he actually deep inside likely thinks that Froome is significantly better at climbing but is afraid to say it that way because these Contador fanboys, who (god knows why) seem to think Contador is this great climber who can drop anyone, will call him an idiot.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-09-12, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Thomas De Gendt has shown potential for GC because of his podium in the Giro. What potential has Geraint Thomas shown in Roubaix?
He has won the u23 edition and placed 2nd in the Tour de France stage that went over it.

Thomas probably has as good a chance of winning Paris Roubaix as De Gendt has at winning the Tour.

But of course ultranationalistic types who's view of cycling is so clouded by where someone comes from that the metaphorical glasses are for all intents and purposes opaque, will rate one of those significantly higher than the other. Depending where exactly they come from of course.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 12-09-12, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
He has won the u23 edition and placed 2nd in the Tour de France stage that went over it.

Thomas probably has as good a chance of winning Paris Roubaix as De Gendt has at winning the Tour.

But of course ultranationalistic types who's view of cycling is so clouded by where someone comes from that the metaphorical glasses are for all intents and purposes opaque, will rate one of those significantly higher than the other. Depending where exactly they come from of course.
No, he hasn't.

He has finished 64th in his first Roubaix and abandoned in his second Roubaix.

Thomas De Gendt rode with the best on Alpe Dhuez and rode an excellent time trial during his first Tour and finished on the podium in his first Giro while winning a stage on the Stelvio. He also won a climbing stage during the Tour de Suisse, beating Andy Schleck. Though admittedly, that isn't much of an achievement.

How can you even compare the two.

At least I don't have to make up results.

Ps: I don't think Thomas de Gendt will dominate the GTs or win the Tour. I just don't think a 26 year old who finished on the podium in his second GT is too old like some already claimed. 25 years old actually at the time of the Giro.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-09-12 at 17:15.
Old 12-09-12, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Considering GT's cycling has pretty much dynasties you can say. Merckx, hinault, indurain, (go the clinic) and now Contador.

Who do you think will dominate GT's after Contador? Let's say 5 more years Contador and then what?

Speaking of dynasties reminds me of Moreno Moser. He is not of Contador's caliber, but I can easily see him winning a GT in 5-6 years. Contador after Contador? No, my crystal ball doesn't show any name at the moment.
Old 12-09-12, 18:10

Quote:
No, he hasn't.

Thomas De Gendt rode with the best on Alpe Dhuez and rode an excellent time trial during his first Tour and finished on the podium in his first Giro while winning a stage on the Stelvio. He also won a climbing stage during the Tour de Suisse, beating Andy Schleck. Though admittedly, that isn't much of an achievement.

How can you even compare the two.

At least I don't have to make up results.

Ps: I don't think Thomas de Gendt will dominate the GTs or win the Tour. I just don't think a 26 year old who finished on the podium in his second GT is too old like some already claimed. 25 years old actually at the time of the Giro.
Junior Paris Roubaix then. He won the junior edition.
Old 12-09-12, 18:30

Quote:
Junior Paris Roubaix then. He won the junior edition.
Pretty much any pro with any potential used to be amazing with the Juniors.
Old 12-09-12, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
His climbing is decent enough for the Tour. A sh!tty route like 2012 for example suits him perfectly.

That was an atypical TDF course designed with Wiggins in mind. You can't just expect that there will be more of that anytime soon. I'd expect the opposite with Rolland and Pinot as the most likely French GC contenders.

Last edited by 18-Valve. (pithy); 12-09-12 at 18:58.
Old 12-09-12, 19:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovecycling View Post
Exactly!

@airstream Quintana will be GT leader,thats for sure and when Valverede retires he will have a strong team around him
it doesn't make sentence wrong. I prefer potential confirmed with results otherwise we bump into absurd like 'quintana. froome wont be able to improve much'

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Hitch
You have to realize that someone who started watching cycling in July 2011 will only have seen Contador crack on Galibier, fail to drop Levi in San Luis and lose mountain after mountain to Purito at the VUelta. In that same time he has seen Froome 2nd the Vuelta and win a stage while domestiquing, and be the best climbr in a Tour de France.
This scheme of reasoning would have worked perfectly if only guys who started following in 2011 had thought this way.

Last edited by airstream; 12-09-12 at 19:23.
Old 12-09-12, 19:31

Quote:

So its not that surprising he thinks Froome is Contadors equal in climbing. Hell he actually deep inside likely thinks that Froome is significantly better at climbing but is afraid to say it that way because these Contador fanboys, who (god knows why) seem to think Contador is this great climber who can drop anyone, will call him an idiot.
Lol..

A couple of facts about me. I never started watching cycling in July 2011.
I watched Tours from 2009..

And Btw do you not realise the ironic nature of your post?
Old 12-09-12, 19:36

Quote:
No, he hasn't.

Was working for Flecha, and the second one he crashed (About three times)