Who is next to dominate GT's? - Page 9 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-09-12, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
The original title is: "Who is next to dominate GT's?", so I've expressed my opinion.
On the other hand, on your question I'll answer: Let's wait and see in couple of years who'll appear.

Clear enough?
So why did you write that? : "read more carefully."
Old 12-09-12, 21:45
Banned

'Cause you were talking about years and I about GTs.
Old 12-09-12, 21:50
Administrator

5 years may be a stretch but i wouldn't be surprised with 3 more years of domination and 2 years of declining performances. taking armstrong out of the equation for obvious reasons (like the fact that he was a late bloomer )

all the riders you mentioned used to race heavy racing schedules with multiple GT's per years and a lot of 1 week races and classics.

bernard hinault rode 13 GT from 78 to 86 only finishing 1st or 2nd on all them cept 1 tour where he had to withdrew (jesus christ that's impressive) plus full classics campaigns

lemond was shot by a gun and by the epo era but even with all of that for example btw 84 and 86 he rode 5 GT with to giro tour back to back rides.

big mig rode 11 GT's in his 5 dominant years!!!! with worlds, olympics and 1 week races in the middle.

contador gives the idea of racing a lot because he is always there trying to win but the fact is he has been saving his body a lot even since he stepped up in 2007. in 07,09,10 and 11 he stopped racing in july in 08 he did the easier giro vuelta double but didn't ride any of the spring classics only racing a couple 1 week races not any race after the vuelta. and he spent most 2012 benched so that's another "soft" year for him. his tougher year was by far 2010 with the giro and the tour back to back and several crashes that injured him at the tour. but that's one season out of 6.

Last edited by Parrulo; 12-09-12 at 21:53.
Old 12-09-12, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
5 years may be a stretch but i wouldn't be surprised with 3 more years of domination and 2 years of declining performances. taking armstrong out of the equation for obvious reasons (like the fact that he was a late bloomer )

all the riders you mentioned used to race heavy racing schedules with multiple GT's per years and a lot of 1 week races and classics.

bernard hinault rode 13 GT from 78 to 86 only finishing 1st or 2nd on all them cept 1 tour where he had to withdrew (jesus christ that's impressive) plus full classics campaigns

lemond was shot by a gun and by the epo era but even with all of that for example btw 84 and 86 he rode 5 GT with to giro tour back to back rides.

big mig rode 11 GT's in his 5 dominant years!!!! with worlds, olympics and 1 week races in the middle.

contador gives the idea of racing a lot because he is always there trying to win but the fact is he has been saving his body a lot even since he stepped up in 2007. in 07,09,10 and 11 he stopped racing in july in 08 he did the easier giro vuelta double but didn't ride any of the spring classics only racing a couple 1 week races not any race after the vuelta. and he spent most 2012 benched so that's another "soft" year for him. his tougher year was by far 2010 with the giro and the tour back to back and several crashes that injured him at the tour. but that's one season out of 6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWaioX6Ycrw

The Tour that ruined Merckx.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-10-12, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Claws View Post
Ahead of Rodriguez as he said
Yes, I am aware of who finished behind him.

Andrea Noč on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
Old 12-10-12, 04:08

So the whole "america's next GT hope" will surround Dombrowski as it has TJVG and Talasnky.
Old 12-10-12, 07:08

For a rider to dominate they usually show up at a young age. Eddy, Contador, Hinault, Lemond etc. I did not see Armstrong on the horizon at all as a GC winner but we won't get into that. I can't see any of the current young riders "dominating" but in a year or two that could change. I am in two minds about riders like Froome and how much better will he get ? Some riders peak when they are young and for various reasons don't improve while others take much longer to hit their peak. There is a fair chance that we may have already seen the best of Contador and Andy. Many people spotted Andy as a precocious talent but he has not been able to win a grand tour on the road.
Old 12-10-12, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
For a rider to dominate they usually show up at a young age. Eddy, Contador, Hinault, Lemond etc. I did not see Armstrong on the horizon at all as a GC winner but we won't get into that. I can't see any of the current young riders "dominating" but in a year or two that could change. I am in two minds about riders like Froome and how much better will he get ? Some riders peak when they are young and for various reasons don't improve while others take much longer to hit their peak. There is a fair chance that we may have already seen the best of Contador and Andy. Many people spotted Andy as a precocious talent but he has not been able to win a grand tour on the road.
All dominant GT riders are solid/great TT'ers with various degrees of climbing skills. Don't think that will change moving forward.
Old 12-10-12, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
All dominant GT riders are solid/great TT'ers with various degrees of climbing skills. Don't think that will change moving forward.
Well the routes are changing or have at least changed to make tting a far less.important factor than they were so if that remains then guys who aren't great tters could dominate through climbing skills alone.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-10-12, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Well the routes are changing or have at least changed to make tting a far less.important factor than they were so if that remains then guys who aren't great tters could dominate through climbing skills alone.
Sure, but the approach to racing in the mountains has changed as well. I see no evidence of conservative and defensive tactics going out the window even as the balance of the parcours favors the climbers. We shall see.