Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better overall rider
Cadel Evans 34 22.08%
Alberto Contador 120 77.92%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-12, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Doping is part of this sport. Silencing the problem is pointless.

And you can go talk about it to your hearts content in the clinic, where you might learn that just because you like a rider doesnt mean they are clean.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-17-12, 19:08

Quote:

He's 35.
He was 34 (and not 33 as I wrongly mentioned above).
So, you have decided that age is a mitigating factor?
I guess we'll have to wait until Contador is 35 and see what else he wins in the 5 years, then.

Quote:

However in 2004, he raced from Valencia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2005, from the Nats (January) to Germany (August)
In 2006, from Down Under (January) to Zurich (October)
In 2007, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2008, from Andalucia (February) to Emily (October)
In 2009, from Andalucia (February) to Lombardy (October)
In 2010, from Down Under (January) to the Worlds (September)

Right?
An Aussie racing in Oz during the Summer? Does that even count?
Not in my book.

In 2008, Contador was not just riding, but winning stage races in March, a GT in May, then another GT in mid-September. Then had his first stage race win of the next season in Februrary, 2009.
Old 12-17-12, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
I guess we'll have to wait until Contador is 35 and see what else he wins in the 5 years, then.
Indeed, with Echoes logic we should compare the palmares of a 30 y Evans against a 30 y Contador.

Pretty clear what the answer is...
Old 12-17-12, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
And you can go talk about it to your hearts content in the clinic, where you might learn that just because you like a rider doesnt mean they are clean.
Caricature won't help you, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo
Yes indeed, I guess even my cousin who is 1 year old can tell you that at age 35, you don't have the same recuperating skills as at age 26.

Quote:
An Aussie racing in Oz during the Summer? Does that even count?
Not in my book.
You're right. An Italian racing Lombardy does not count either. Or a Dutchie racing Amstel, a German racing Francfurt GP, etc.

Quote:
In 2008, Contador was not just riding, but winning stage races in March, a GT in May, then another GT in mid-September. Then had his first stage race win of the next season in Februrary, 2009.
Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision. So that won't change the global consistency of my reasoning. Florecita showed you the Contador ridiculously light calendars. It's very easy to explain that he raced the Vuelta in 2008 because he was kept from Bore de France. And any time he would race Bore de France, be sure he would stop in July. If not, I would apologize.

I haven't calculated Evans racing days every year in his prime. But it must be around 90.

In 2009 Olivier Kaisen raced for around 110 days. That was twice as much as Contador that year. Who deserves more credit?

Last edited by Echoes; 12-17-12 at 20:06.
Old 12-17-12, 20:08

Quote:
Caricature won't help you, son.

Yes indeed, I guess even my cousin who is 1 year old can tell you that at age 35, you don't have the same recuperating skills as at age 26.

You're right. An Italian racing Lombardy does not count either. Or a Dutchie racing Amstel, a German racing Francfurt GP, etc.

Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision. So that won't change the global consistency of my reasoning. Florecita showed you the Contador ridiculously light calendars. It's very easy to explain that he raced the Vuelta in 2008 because he was kept from Bore de France. And any time he would race Bore de France, be sure he would stop in July. If not, I would apologize.

I haven't calculated Evans racing days every year in his prime. But it must be around 90.

In 2009 Olivier Kaisen raced for around 110 days. That was twice as much as Contador that year. Who deserves more credit?
In 2008 Evans had 68 racing days

2011: 57
2012: 52
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-17-12, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

Hahahaha 2008 same as Alberto. in 2011 Alberto had more. Hahaha.
Froome see's how Contador is already dressing himself in yellow in anticipation for July, how he rides with no helmet without fear, how he and his loyal second in command Kreuziger have grown thin, how he takes on the sprinters in a bunch sprint, and how Contador has given previews of what others will face in July in the form of Giro 2011 pictures....

...and he feels fear...
Old 12-17-12, 20:16

Quote:

Contador fans are really trained in the pilpul method. Debunking my arguments with one particular case, because they are incapable of any global vision.
Except I'm not a Contador fan. I just worship pro racing, not individual cyclists.
Although, I don't claim to be a global visionary.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

Oooh err, the numbers don't lie.
Just a tad out with that guess.
Less than Bertie in his last full season.
So I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Mellow Velo; 12-17-12 at 20:23.
Old 12-17-12, 20:25

Pilpul again.

2009 figures, please?

Could you bring me that for tomorrow? I'm off now.
Old 12-17-12, 20:34

Quality over quantity obviously.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-17-12, 20:42

Evans
2009- 87
2008- 68
2007- 85

Of course, more race days doesn't necessarily mean one rider is better than another. Quality over quantity like El P said. Nothing wrong with racing around 50-60 days as long as the rider gets the results.