The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better overall rider
Cadel Evans 34 22.08%
Alberto Contador 120 77.92%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-15-12, 09:59
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
[/B]

But doesn't have the palmares to show it.
I think the World's and the Fleche and stage wins on relatively flat stages have to count for something. I don't think he is better than Contador just more versatile and if Contador was more confident he probably would ride the classics more often. I don't deny Contador's qualities in grand tours. But you are right about the palmares. Evans has plenty of top 10 finishes in classics and a huge help to Gilbert in a few of his wins but I think Evan's fans would have liked to see have seen him maybe miss the early spring stage races and attack the Ardennes classics more seriously because he was always suited to those races.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-15-12, 10:13
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinmarian View Post
Contador is a better rider than Cadel Evans because Cadel when someone attacks on a climb,he is already on that wheel and stays there.And in the 2013 Tour he will have no chance against Contador and Froome.
Firstly, I already acknowledged Alberto was the better climber. We are not judging the vote on simply just climbing. Secondly, why would you judge this contest just on the 2013 Tour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Yeah indeed Evans didn't have the legs as often as Contador, why would that be? Maybe cause he's better lol

Contador can also win classics like Evans. Contador just has a bigger chance in GT's than Evans thus he focuses more on that. Evans has a way better sprint though.

In TT they're equal at their best. No way Evans is better.

I can't believe some many people voted for Evans. This is Contador we're talking about.

Btw Contador is 5 years younger. Doesn't anyone think you've to keep that in mind?
I was referring to Mountain stages and some of those races where he couldn't attack were in races where Alberto was not even competing (i.e. 2008 Tdf). Your final sentence also summarises the futility of your post. How could you possibly consider Alberto being 5 years younger and what is to come? We don't know what Alberto will do and that is pure speculation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-15-12, 10:20
Alphabet's Avatar
Alphabet Alphabet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The yard
Posts: 807
Default

There's more to being a cyclist than just climbing and time-trialling. I reckon Evans is a better descender than Contador (though there isn't much difference there), and has been mentioned earlier, he's better on the cobbles and on hills.

I'd still be inclined to go with Contador, though.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-15-12, 10:42
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Yep, it's the off season.

The answer is Contador. The only thing Evans is better at is short uphill sprints, like we see in the classics. And Contador is still pretty close to him there. Plus results-wise 7 GT's beats 1 GT, 1 Fleche Wallone, and 1 World RR.
Evans beat contador by a nose hair in the tdf sprint on that uphill stage in 2011. Contador was coming off the giro while Evans was in the form of his.life.

Also look.at the short climbs in short stage races where.Contador has excelled like mende where he won twice, and also flew away from sanchez and schleck as if they were sprinters in the tdf 2 years ago. And samu and schleck are 2 of the best hill riders in the world.

Contador is one of the best at hills, just that with his mountain and tt skills, he rarely focuses on it.
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-15-12, 10:47
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Evans beat contador by a nose hair in the tdf sprint on that uphill stage in 2011. Contador was coming off the giro while Evans was in the form of his.life.

Also look.at the short climbs in short stage races where.Contador has excelled like mende where he won twice, and also flew away from sanchez and schleck as if they were sprinters in the tdf 2 years ago. And samu and schleck are 2 of the best hill riders in the world.

Contador is one of the best at hills, just that with his mountain and tt skills, he rarely focuses on it.
Evans beat Contador when Evans lead out in the sprint in a headwind uphill finish. Contador coming off the Giro would have very minimal effect on the way he sprints in a hilly stage in the 1st week of the Tour.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-15-12, 10:50
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
I reckon Evans is a better descender than Contador (though there isn't much difference there), and has been mentioned earlier, he's better on the cobbles and on hills.
.
How do you know this?
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-15-12, 10:53
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
How do you know this?
The stage in 2010 tdf. I would guess that Evans would be better on the cobbles than Contador, but judging it outright on one stage would be unfair.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-15-12, 10:53
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Evans beat Contador when Evans lead out in the sprint in a headwind uphill finish. Contador coming off the Giro would have very minimal effect on the way he sprints in a hilly stage in the 1st week of the Tour.
If fatigue and form have no.impact on uphill sprinting then why did Gilbert suck so.much this year? By your logic since form doesn't matter, how did.Phil go from winning agr by a mile to.failing to.make the podium?
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-15-12, 10:55
Vino attacks everyone's Avatar
Vino attacks everyone Vino attacks everyone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
If fatigue and form have no.impact on uphill sprinting then why did Gilbert suck so.much this year? By your logic since form doesn't matter, how did.Phil go from winning agr by a mile to.failing to.make the podium?
He was taken down by the right wing political machine my friend
__________________
"I know how to ride my bike" - Nibali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-15-12, 10:57
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
The stage in 2010 tdf. I would guess that Evans would be better on the cobbles than Contador, but judging it outright on one stage would be unfair.
Lets bare in mind that in the 2010 stage Andy schleck finished in the same group as Evans and then proceeded to cry that he should never have to ride over those things again.

We know that the rest of the peloton was delayed by the frank crash. We have no idea if Evans hejsdal and schleck were actually superior cobbles specialists than people who finished behind, like for example flecha.
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.