Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 22 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #211  
Old 01-04-13, 21:14
gregrowlerson's Avatar
gregrowlerson gregrowlerson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 874
Default

I think that this will be a very good Giro. Excellent field (very close to that of the Tour) and quality parcours.

I don't get how some consider Nibali a better climber than Wiggins. I think that he is on par with him at best, and certainly on 2012 form Bradley will gain significantly in the time trials. The Brit has to be the pick for the win, especially as he will have a pretty strong team, even without Froome.

But there are many aspects to this race which should make it great. Very few will expect the defending champion to triumph, but Ryder was impressively consistent in the last Giro, so who knows? I am really looking forward to Gesink getting a good crack at this race. I hope that he gets an uninterrupted preparation as he might just have the ability to be the best climber in this field.

Then there is Sanchez, an excellent wildcard, and certainly a podium contender. But don't count the old boys Basso and Scarponi out. They weren't hopeless last year, and perhaps they've got one more good GT in them. Should be a fascinating race.
__________________
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1
  #212  
Old 01-05-13, 00:13
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
it doesn't say much. but i'm happy to hear that there are good signs for him in order to get back his best level.
we really need the best competition otherwise wiggo will annihilate the race
So far I'd say the competition is looking very good. Nibali, Sanchez, Hesjedal, Gesink, Pellizotti, Betancur, Pozzovivo plus many more. I would even venture to say currently the Giro's competition is looking better than the Tour's.
__________________
Be the Goat

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
  #213  
Old 01-05-13, 00:19
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsauger View Post
I think we are overrating Wiggins a bit. Of course the route suits him a lot with the long time trail. But still there's a high chance that he will struggle in the steep Giro mountains just like at the Vuelta 2 years ago.
It's hard to overrate someone who had the season he had last year. He is a much more complete rider than he was in 2011 and has a much better team.
  #214  
Old 01-05-13, 01:08
Pentacycle's Avatar
Pentacycle Pentacycle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wageningen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrowlerson View Post
Then there is Sanchez, an excellent wildcard, and certainly a podium contender. But don't count the old boys Basso and Scarponi out. They weren't hopeless last year, and perhaps they've got one more good GT in them. Should be a fascinating race.
It's always funny to see how Scarponi(only 32, should still be in his peak) and Basso(turned 35 a month ago) are considered too old, but Sanchez(turns 35 in a month) to be a certain podium contender. Sanchez's last good GT was the 2010 Tour, in 2011 he already had some more bad days. He's still a class rider in the classics and as a stage hunter, but he doesn't have the consistency in GT's he used to have a few years ago.
  #215  
Old 01-05-13, 04:36
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
It's always funny to see how Scarponi(only 32, should still be in his peak) and Basso(turned 35 a month ago) are considered too old, but Sanchez(turns 35 in a month) to be a certain podium contender. Sanchez's last good GT was the 2010 Tour, in 2011 he already had some more bad days. He's still a class rider in the classics and as a stage hunter, but he doesn't have the consistency in GT's he used to have a few years ago.
2011 tour was a good GT for sanchez. You do realise he was like 3 minutes behind after the first 2 stages ?

And the last tour he fell after 1 week. On what GT do you base yourself I wonder...
  #216  
Old 01-05-13, 04:38
Parrulo's Avatar
Parrulo Parrulo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,979
Default

indeed, he had 1 bad day the entire race, the problem is he lost minutes on top of minutes there.

but being on the attack on every mountain stage over the course of the race imo had much influence on that bad day.
  #217  
Old 01-05-13, 05:32
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
2011 tour was a good GT for sanchez. You do realise he was like 3 minutes behind after the first 2 stages ?

And the last tour he fell after 1 week. On what GT do you base yourself I wonder...
On the other hand, those 3 min allowed him to gain in the Pyrenees a lot without having a proper resistance.
  #218  
Old 01-05-13, 05:35
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
indeed, he had 1 bad day the entire race, the problem is he lost minutes on top of minutes there.

but being on the attack on every mountain stage over the course of the race imo had much influence on that bad day.
Yeah 2011 sanchez attacked on all 4 of the contested stages leading up to galibier (compared to Contador 2 Evans 1 and Andy 0)

Because of what happened on the first weekend. On pure individual strength even including the 5 minutes.lost on galibier i think he still would have beaten frank and voeckler.

But that was then and this is now. If he still has the climbing form he can win the giro. But 35 catches up to people.

Btw pentacycle no way is scarponi 32. Hes from 79 i think. Also in case you.missed it sanchez crashed out of the tour. So to.put his failure to.feature in the mountains there to him losing form is silly.
__________________
The Hitch: 3rd place week 43 2014 cq game. Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 01-05-13 at 05:40.
  #219  
Old 01-05-13, 05:38
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 23,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
On the other hand, those 3 min allowed him to gain in the Pyrenees a lot without having a proper resistance.
He was given about a minute in the pyranees. 3-1 still = a long way behind. And on luz they weren't riding that easy considering Contador was dropped. Oh wait i remember that doesn't mean anything to you . Ok well consider that voeckler was dropped on luz, something they didn't manage on pdb or galibier.
__________________
The Hitch: 3rd place week 43 2014 cq game. Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
  #220  
Old 01-05-13, 06:06
Parrulo's Avatar
Parrulo Parrulo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,979
Default

boots turned 33 at the end of september just to clear the doubts.

so comes the giro and boots will be the same age as wiggins.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.