Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 23 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-13, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Planches des Belles Filles. Attack! I don't wanna...

My opinion is there is no principal difference between a 6% av. climb and an 8-8.5% one. If one is good, one is good at any climbs and it works almost always. A really powerful team can arrange an up-and-downer even on a climb like.. Sierra Nevada... I don't know. It is exceptionally a matter of purpose. But even if it is the case. Since when has Nibali became an outstanding master of steep ramps?
probably never ridden a bike.
Old 01-05-13, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
It's always funny to see how Scarponi(only 32, should still be in his peak) and Basso(turned 35 a month ago) are considered too old, but Sanchez(turns 35 in a month) to be a certain podium contender. Sanchez's last good GT was the 2010 Tour, in 2011 he already had some more bad days. He's still a class rider in the classics and as a stage hunter, but he doesn't have the consistency in GT's he used to have a few years ago.
In Sanchez' last crash-free GT he got 6th and won the polka dot jersey, so he should still be okay. He has always been a rather strange rider in terms of performances on climbs. As has Scarponi. Both of them are difficult to rate for the next Giro, but if they get it together of course they should fight for the podium.

Basso had an absolute cr.p preparation that last year, and he wasn't that bad in the Giro, so I think he's still in with a chance.
Old 01-05-13, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
So far I'd say the competition is looking very good. Nibali, Sanchez, Hesjedal, Gesink, Pellizotti, Betancur, Pozzovivo plus many more. I would even venture to say currently the Giro's competition is looking better than the Tour's.
You forgot Wiggins (not that is anything wrong with that) . Agree, I see Giro as a better race, more competition, and anything can happen.
Old 01-05-13, 12:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
louis Delahaije ‏@CoachLuicito Great exercise test of @RGUpdate today. 527 watts and 7,18/kg. New personal best. #readyfortheseason @BlancoCycling

Guess we can end all debate. The winner is known. That's 17w better than his pre-leg break level.. the fuq?
I stopped reading at louis Delahaije
Old 01-05-13, 12:48

Quote:
I wonder what's wrong with these tests if Boom suddenly inmproves 30W over last year? I'm still not getting excited all of the sudden because of a lab test that has nothing to do with racing. Perhaps he's just in better condition than he ever was at this time of the year.

He's also 73,4 kgs, isn't that a little too heavy? Even Wiggins will still drop him easily.
how heavy do you think wiggins is now?
Old 01-05-13, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsauger View Post
I thought that Aquarone asked the Africans to take part at the giro, but they didn't wan to do so?

Anyway, I go for
Vini Fantini
Bardiani
Colombia

as I see Katjoesja getting a wildcard at the Tour instead of Colombia then and Purito will stay.
correct

Old 01-05-13, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
how heavy do you think wiggins is now?
The weight I mentioned was probably wrong because that Rabo trainer always messes up, so deriving other data from the tests isn't very useful. And I always thought Gesink was anorectic and all skin and bone, guess I was wrong about that.

Wiggins is probably 75+ kgs now, but he's listed as 69 kgs racing weight. But swimming will shed the unnecessary pounds as usual, we don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-05-13, 13:16

Quote:
The weight I mentioned was probably wrong because that Rabo trainer always messes up, so deriving other data from the tests isn't very useful. And I always thought Gesink was anorectic and all skin and bone, guess I was wrong about that.

Wiggins is probably 75+ kgs now, but he's listed as 69 kgs racing weight. But swimming will shed the unnecessary pounds as usual, we don't have to worry about it.
Don't blame your own stupid comment on the trainer. Gesink is somewhere around 73 kgs at this time, perfectly normal.

He is indeed skin and bones, his normal racing weight is probably somewhere around 69 kgs, which is very skinny for someone approaching 1,90 m. In fact, he's pretty comparable to Wiggins and Hesjedal in that regard: none of them a real natural climber.

But of course they don't go around all year at their ideal racing weight, that isn't healthy.
Old 01-05-13, 13:19

Quote:

Wiggins doesn't do any swimming. Merely have a swimming coach suffices.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-05-13, 13:24

Quote:

you think 190 and 73 kg isn't anorect and all skin and bones?

and no he is 73 kg right now, which is perfectly normal, riders easily gain up to 5 or more kg during off season, or in pieri's case 15 kg
Closed Thread