Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 32 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-13, 23:01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.

His Giro victory is far more worth than for instance Nibali's Vuelta win. The field was much stronger and the race much harder.
Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.
Old 01-07-13, 23:09

Quote:
Can't believe how people like you still hardly rate Hesjedal.
People use common sense so that's why we don't rate him high this year. Fellow Canadian doesn't hava a lot of leverage, plus he won't have a strong team IMO.
Old 01-07-13, 23:17

Voted Nibali, but would be happy with Hesjedal taking another pink.
Old 01-07-13, 23:34

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Can't agree.
Famous GT rider De Gendt was third. That can't be treated as indicator of strong field or hard race.
Let's wait and see.
De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud
Old 01-07-13, 23:54

Quote:
De Gendt was only 3rd because the favorite group went 0km/h hours in the downhill/flat part of the Stelvio.

He was only the 8th/9th strongest rider in the race.

And Nibali's podium finishers in the Vuelta were Mosquera and P.Velits for crying out loud
He was at least better than Cunego otherwise Damiano would've won that stage and maybe even the whole Giro

And I'm still a bit ****ed of none of Cunego's attacks payed out. He was at least the only one of the big names to take some risk.

And Nibali beat Mosquera who was around there at the Top of the Vuelta some years already and Velits just rode a fantastic grand tour that year (although he seems to remain as a one hit wonder). He also beat Rodriguez and I highly doubt Anton would've had that Vuelta in his pocket without his crash, now.
Old 01-08-13, 00:58

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.
Old 01-08-13, 01:22

Quote:
He beat a tired from TDF 2010 Rodriguez yeah... (look at how Froome handled the TDF/Vuelta combi...)

I'm sorry but the Vuelta 2010 was one of the weakest GT in recent history. Somewhat like a Savoldelli Giro-win. Nibali's 3rd place in the Tour last year was of much much higher quality than his Vuelta win... I even rate Nibali's 3rd (or 2nd, if you don't count Contador) place in the Giro as higher/better than that Vuelta.
I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .
Old 01-08-13, 01:50

Quote:

Even that giro had weaknesses. Notably the way he was dropped a long way from the end on Marmolada and then again really struggled at the top of Finnestre.

Maybe its a distance thing because as i recall Finnestre came 200k on stgae 20, and the Gardeccia stage was 230k so around the 200k mark he cracked there too. Meanwhile on Zoncolan 150k he was hanging tough with Contador.

Giro 2010 is probably the best Nibali has been. The fact that he dropped Evans near the top of Grappa, and that he Basso and Scarponi flew away from him on Mortirolo are the 2 things that keep me thinking that Nibali is one of the great gt riders. and even then he was worse than Scarponi.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-08-13, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubsauger View Post
I don't rate his 2010 Vuelta win high either. Look at Anton being the best in the mountains there and what he performed since (except @Monte Zoncolan). Just for the record I wish Anton all the best to have a shot at this years Vuelta. He's a bit like the Felipe Massa of professional cycling for me.

But I don't rate Hesjedal's giro win against soft pedaling competitors high, too. In fact the way il Falco managed to defend his maglia rosa at the Colle dellle Finestre stage was much more impressive than Hesjedal's whole giro (And I know Paolo had to give a big thank you to Mauricio Ardillia back then).

And there's still the fluke of Pantani going around. Nobody wins the Giro back 2 back since il pirata wasn't allowed to do so in 99. Not Simoni in 2002/2004, not Cunego in 2005 etc .
Yeah but as i posted in the original thread this happens every 20 years.

1952 Coppi
1953 Coppi

1972 Merckx
1973 Merckx

1992 Indurain
1993 Indurain

2012 Hejsedal.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
Old 01-08-13, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
Thats the first time ive ever heard Samu talk sense.
Closed Thread