Best Young Pro Tour Riders to watch in 2013 - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-25-12, 18:01

Lutsenko and Aru at Astana, Barguil and van Rensburg at Argos, Sebastian Lander at BMC, Matthias Krizek and Michel Koch at Cannondale (I don't know a great deal about them, but I trust the former Liquigas scouts' abilities after the last few seasons), Sergey Chernetskiy at Katyusha, Rohan Dennis at Garmin, Luca Wackermann at Lampre, Argiro Ospina at Movistar, Josh Edmondson and Joe Dombrowski at Sky.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 12-25-12, 18:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Lutsenko and Aru at Astana, Barguil and van Rensburg at Argos, Sebastian Lander at BMC, Matthias Krizek and Michel Koch at Cannondale (I don't know a great deal about them, but I trust the former Liquigas scouts' abilities after the last few seasons), Sergey Chernetskiy at Katyusha, Rohan Dennis at Garmin, Luca Wackermann at Lampre, Argiro Ospina at Movistar, Josh Edmondson and Joe Dombrowski at Sky.
+ Ian Boswell at Sky, he's shown some impressive results as well.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-25-12, 19:00

Why nobody talk about Pinot? A gifted rider like A.Shleck at the same age (according to me 10th at the Tour it's as good as 2nd at the Giro). Hope to see him in a good shape during the spring classics.

Sicard suffered from knee injury and illness as somebody said, but he came back pretty strong at the end of the season. At the vuelta he did well, GC not so bad, and good form after 3 weeks (stage 20) for his first GT. Apparently he's very motivated this winter for starting the season well....
Old 12-26-12, 03:12

I've got to agree about Pinot. I think he could make some noise next year.

I was quite suprised to hear that Dombrowski made Sky's long list for the Giro.
Old 12-26-12, 05:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier.Lopez View Post
Why nobody talk about Pinot? A gifted rider like A.Shleck at the same age (according to me 10th at the Tour it's as good as 2nd at the Giro). Hope to see him in a good shape during the spring classics.

Sicard suffered from knee injury and illness as somebody said, but he came back pretty strong at the end of the season. At the vuelta he did well, GC not so bad, and good form after 3 weeks (stage 20) for his first GT. Apparently he's very motivated this winter for starting the season well....
:facepalm:

i wonder how rafael reis will do at ceramica flaminia
Old 12-26-12, 07:40

Pinot has had his breakthrough year. This is about young riders yet to make the breakthrough.

And getting 10th in Tour is not as good as finishing on the podium at the Giro
Old 12-26-12, 09:32

On the paper 2nd at the Giro can seem better that 10th at the Tour but if we're looking closer...
Pinot won a stage, finish 2nd at one other just ahead Froome, the routes wasn't for him at all (2 longs TT), and of course the Tour is an other level than the Giro, especially in 2007 (Di Luca won, Mazolleni third...).

And for the little story, in 2005 Armstrong during the Tour of California shouted on A.Shleck cause this young anonymous rider was following him in the Moutain everytime he attached... Pinot did the same with Ricco
Old 12-26-12, 10:09

Quote:
On the paper 2nd at the Giro can seem better that 10th at the Tour but if we're looking closer...
Pinot won a stage, finish 2nd at one other just ahead Froome, the routes wasn't for him at all (2 longs TT), and of course the Tour is an other level than the Giro, especially in 2007 (Di Luca won, Mazolleni third...).

And for the little story, in 2005 Armstrong during the Tour of California shouted on A.Shleck cause this young anonymous rider was following him in the Moutain everytime he attached... Pinot did the same with Ricco
And then compared to what Purito did at the Giro, that's better?

Pinot is a great talent, but as was previously mentioned, I took this thread to be about those riders who've not yet 'broken out', else we'd have been mentioning Pinot, Quintana, Moser, Sagan and Guardini. In that company, Pinot needs to be mentioned but I kind of felt that by coming top 10 in the Tour he's a guy that people should already know about, rather than a tip to keep your eye on.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 12-28-12, 17:36

Quote:

for me pinot has already made it no? had a very good tour de france and a stage win.

also agree podium in giro or vuelta for me is better than top 10 in tour for proper cycling fans.

Paris Tours the final preview of the season
Old 12-28-12, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
And then compared to what Purito did at the Giro, that's better?

I wouldn't compare both performances cause they have been made in different situations, on different routes etc. In 2012 Purito has almost won the Giro + 2 stages + a jersey.
Shleck's performance in 2007 was strong for a child, and I loved it but he wasn't very "active" although regular (several 3rd places) and his opponents were Di Luca and Mazolleni. Plus, the Giro 2007 was better for a climber than the Tour 2012 (100km flat ITT in the Tour against 42 in the Giro).