Top ten cyclists of all time which you have actually seen live - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-28-12, 21:57

Default Top ten cyclists of all time which you have actually seen live

New topic, don't know if there is another, if there is, please merge this one with it. Rules are simle, which rider, top ten, little explanation, maybe a nice picture with it.

I'll start off.

1:
Surprise surprise, Greg LeMond. First saw him at the worlds 1982 when he went after his 'compatriot' Jonathan Boyer, finishing second after Beppe Saronni. Second time I saw him, was 9 at that time, he WON the worlds. So much willpower, he got me into following cycling, not my father who was a huge Hinault fan. Hinault was boring, he won everything, LeMond was new.

Still have that ugly shirt, kinda still fits me also.

2:
Marco Pantani
Why? Well, to be fair. It took me a few years to realise what was going on in pro-cycling. Didn't have the internet back then, we relied on the 'media'. The media who told us Miguel Indurain had lungs of 44444 litres of oxygen. That's why he was soooooo good. Yet sooooo boring. I thought my hero Greg had just got lazy and didn't train anymore. Totally had forgotten that same Indurain slipstreamed him in 1990 on Luz Ardiden without even breathing. Then the little Italian stood up, challenged Indurain in the Giro 1994, broke his neck which gave Berzin his first and luckily his last GT. This little Italian broke the boringness pro - cycling had become. In the Tour, Giro, everywhere he would ride there was a 'woooooosh'.

Too bad he got killed by Verbruggen et all on Pampeago.

3:
Eric Vanderaerden
Maybe translated into now the Mark Cavendish of his age but then a complete cyclist. Arrogant, allmost not Belgian, allmost Dutch [n dikke nek], great sprinter, fearless. A 'sprinter' who wins Paris-Roubaix...

4:
Steve Bauer
When u think of Steve you think on willpower. Not the biggest talent around but he would fight till the end. Criquillion got to know that too. Big cojones.
Old 12-28-12, 21:57

5:
Andrew Hampsten
Really, has there ever been a more gracefull rider than this one? Rode his bike like a gazelle. I am glad he was in time to win a Grand Tour.
just in time to win a Grand Tour.

6:
Phil Anderson
Willpower, willpower and then you have Phil. One of the most prolofic riders on the Peter Post Panasonic team. Wherever, whenever, Phil brought home the bacon.

7:
Fabian Cancellara
Let's be honest, if you like cycling, you lover Der Fabian, Godzilla. His attacking style of riding is what cycling is all about. Nothing more has to be said on him.

8:
Eddie Bouwmans
Huge Dutch talent, won the 'white jersey' in the 1992 Tour de France. Refused to dope himself with EPO and had to quit cycling at the age of 29. Winner of the the prestigious Classique des Alpes in 1993.
Such a shame.
Old 12-28-12, 21:58

9:
Wilfried Nelissen
Belgian sprinter, knucklehead, powerhouse, fearless, kamikaze, only a bit dumb, remember Armentieres 1994. Carreer cut short on Gent - Wevelgem 1996 were he broke almost every bone in his leg.

10:
Peter Winnen
Dutchman, two times winner on 'the Alpe', great early carreer before they made a mockery of him because he wouldn't do the EPO. Great writer/thinker nowadays.

Let's hear it, who is your top ten, or, when this topic already exist: continue!
Old 12-28-12, 22:09

Hinault
Fignon
Pantani
Cancellara
Contador
Old 12-28-12, 22:19

LeMond...riding up a mountain in VA during the Tour depont...Coors Light team...he was last up the hill...it was after the shooting

Fignon....during a timetrial in Washington, DC, at the end of Tour depont....almost ran me over!

Davis Phinney
Raul Alcala

Last edited by Old School; 12-28-12 at 22:21. Reason: add city
Old 12-28-12, 22:34

In no particular order:

Cancellara
Hushovd
Evans
Freire
Gilbert
S. Sanchez
Nibali
Pozzato
Martin
Boasson Hagen

All from the Melbourne Worlds.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-28-12, 22:41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
In no particular order:

Cancellara
Hushovd
Evans
Freire
Gilbert
S. Sanchez
Nibali
Pozzato
Martin
Boasson Hagen

All from the Melbourne Worlds.
i think FGL meant both live in person and live on tv

is this a list about your 10 favourite riders of all time( as in the ones you have actually seen)?

Last edited by Parrulo; 12-28-12 at 22:45.
Old 12-28-12, 22:42

Danny Pate
Lars Michaelsen
Bobby Julich
Roger Hammond

all in Corestates Triple Crown in Piladelphia / Trenton NJ, USA
Old 12-28-12, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
i think FGL meant live on tv
Not particullary, both would be great of course. I didn't see Cancellara, yet.
Old 12-28-12, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
i think FGL meant both live in person and live on tv

is this a list about your 10 favourite riders of all time( as in the ones you have actually seen)?
Oh, I get it now. My list was the 10 best cyclists I have seen live meaning seeing them 'in person'.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.