Top ten cyclists of all time which you have actually seen live - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-28-12, 22:57

Contador.

*edit* also seen Kelly but he wasn't racing. Come to think of it Hinault too but he wasn't racing either!

Last edited by jamiephillips; 12-28-12 at 23:04.
Old 12-28-12, 23:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
New topic, don't know if there is another, if there is, please merge this one with it. Rules are simle, which rider, top ten, little explanation, maybe a nice picture with it.
Since I raced as "independent" in Brittany in 1964, I had the opportunity to race in criteriums with a huge number of the stars of the mid sixties, such as Anquetil, Bahamontès, Van Looy, Beheyt wearing his world champ jersey, Simpson, Janssen, Altig, etc, etc. Since I had raced with his brother Philippe earlier in the season, I used that to start conversation with Maître Jacques.

Living near Geneva, of course, it's easy to go watch the TdF, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse sometimes. Before a TT I remember being allowed by his team to go see Boardman's famous Lotus bike.

In Switzerland they have pro-Am handicap races which gave me the opportunity to race when I was approaching 50, with people like Glaus, Zberg and Pascal Richard. In 1986 and 1988 I also entered and finished Bordeaux-Paris when it was pro-am.

Once, about 10 years ago, I was passed on the Telegraph by Simoni, Di Luca and 2 of their teammates whom I had seen earlier in the Maurienne as they were getting their bikes off the team car.

Christophe Moreau, Jalabert and Virenque trained around here regularly. Once I caught Virenque on a slight downhill, but the conversation was short, he didn't seem very pleased to have to talk to a cyclist who could be his father.

Going home from work, once, I spotted LeMond coming out of his hotel (Novotel) in Prévessin, France, not far from Geneva airport, and it so happened that I had a couple of Tour de France magazines - he , as winner, was on the cover - and I had just bought them for a friend in College Park (Md). So I stopped to have him sign them.

Much later, in 2006, I happened to be in the same peloton as him in the Etape du Tour after the first mountain pass, so I went to speak with him for a long while (He insisted on speaking French). (later Olano caught our group and of course exchanged a few words)

In Valloire at the end of the 80's I had a conversation with Hinault ("acting" as PR for Look) who was really pleasant and relaxed.

In 1995, in l'Alpe d'Huez was staying in the same hotel as Pantani (everybody applauded him when he walked in the restaurant), Chiappucci, etc (4 teams where staying there). At dinner I happened to be at the same table as Thévenet ( I told him I had first seen him at the world road championship in Montreal in 1974 when I hadn't the faintest idea who he was - he had been in a very long breakaway - I was too busy with life in those years to follow cycling). I had watched the tour go by at hairpin number 1, the best spot, this was before barriers.

I remember once going- on my bike of course - watch the finish of a Dauphiné stage in Annecy, must have been 1992. Herrera had caught Jeff and won. After the stage I was near the Peugeot team cars and saw Pensec, Millar coming in completely destroyed. Then another guy came in, he looked like he had just gotten out of bed, as fresh as could be. So I started to talk with him, he was Laurent Madouas. After that encounter I went to support him and talk with him whenever he raced in the area. He is such a nice guy (he is friend with Bobby Julich)

As for Bobby Julich, I have already talked another time on this forum about the time when I was in the same hotel as the US team in Lugano for the world championship and happened to be with him in the elevator which gave me the opportunity to strike conversation)

Well, I better stop.

As for Fignon, I avoided him, as I would have LA (although I did applaude them both on the road of course)

Last edited by Le breton; 12-29-12 at 00:00.
Old 12-29-12, 00:03
Administrator

None no pros ever come to Oregon, and I don't have the money to travel.
On the other hand maybe Ian Boswell will become a big time pro, I saw him racing the A's at one of the Cross Crusades last year.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 12-29-12, 00:09

1- Eddy Merckx on the boards in the USA. Don't remember the year but I have film, yep that old time reel to reel film of him LOL!

2- Greg LeMond - Multiple times as an amateur and as a pro in the USA

3- Met Bjarne Riis but he was manager CSC, not riding. But he is the only TdF winner whose hand I've shaken.

4- Lauren Fignon - Tour DuPont

5- Gianni Bugno - Tour DuPont

6- Jens Voight - Philly Classic

7- George Hincapie - to many times to count

8- Bobbie Julich

9- Floyd Landis

10 - Matti Goss

And a host of others, including Lance many times, but he doesn't count anymore!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-29-12, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le breton View Post
Since I raced as "independent" in Brittany in 1964, I had the opportunity to race in criteriums with a huge number of the stars of the mid sixties, such as Anquetil, Bahamontès, Van Looy, Beheyt wearing his world champ jersey, Simpson, Janssen, Altig, etc, etc. Since I had raced with his brother Philippe earlier in the season, I used that to start conversation with Maître Jacques.

Living near Geneva, of course, it's easy to go watch the TdF, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse sometimes. Before a TT I remember being allowed by his team to go see Boardman's famous Lotus bike.

In Switzerland they have pro-Am handicap races which gave me the opportunity to race when I was approaching 50, with people like Glaus, Zberg and Pascal Richard. In 1986 and 1988 I also entered and finished Bordeaux-Paris when it was pro-am.

Once, about 10 years ago, I was passed on the Telegraph by Simoni, Di Luca and 2 of their teammates whom I had seen earlier in the Maurienne as they were getting their bikes off the team car.

Christophe Moreau, Jalabert and Virenque trained around here regularly. Once I caught Virenque on a slight downhill, but the conversation was short, he didn't seem very pleased to have to talk to a cyclist who could be his father.

Going home from work, once, I spotted LeMond coming out of his hotel (Novotel) in Prévessin, France, not far from Geneva airport, and it so happened that I had a couple of Tour de France magazines - he , as winner, was on the cover - and I had just bought them for a friend in College Park (Md). So I stopped to have him sign them.

Much later, in 2006, I happened to be in the same peloton as him in the Etape du Tour after the first mountain pass, so I went to speak with him for a long while (He insisted on speaking French). (later Olano caught our group and of course exchanged a few words)

In Valloire at the end of the 80's I had a conversation with Hinault ("acting" as PR for Look) who was really pleasant and relaxed.

In 1995, in l'Alpe d'Huez was staying in the same hotel as Pantani (everybody applauded him when he walked in the restaurant), Chiappucci, etc (4 teams where staying there). At dinner I happened to be at the same table as Thévenet ( I told him I had first seen him at the world road championship in Montreal in 1974 when I hadn't the faintest idea who he was - he had been in a very long breakaway - I was too busy with life in those years to follow cycling). I had watched the tour go by at hairpin number 1, the best spot, this was before barriers.

I remember once going- on my bike of course - watch the finish of a Dauphiné stage in Annecy, must have been 1992. Herrera had caught Jeff and won. After the stage I was near the Peugeot team cars and saw Pensec, Millar coming in completely destroyed. Then another guy came in, he looked like he had just gotten out of bed, as fresh as could be. So I started to talk with him, he was Laurent Madouas. After that encounter I went to support him and talk with him whenever he raced in the area. He is such a nice guy (he is friend with Bobby Julich)

As for Bobby Julich, I have already talked another time on this forum about the time when I was in the same hotel as the US team in Lugano for the world championship and happened to be with him in the elevator which gave me the opportunity to strike conversation)

Well, I better stop.

As for Fignon, I avoided him, as I would have LA (although I did applaude them both on the road of course)
Very cool memories.
Old 12-29-12, 00:45

In no particular order:
Rominger-training in San Diego
Cipo-San Diego training
Mark Cavendish-off back TofC climb of Howell Mtn
Schlecks-off back of ToC climb of Howell Mtn
Cancellara-showing slightly more dignity, TofC
Lemond-charity ride
Tyler Farrar-training ride
Hinault-descending solo, TofC Oakville Grade
Andy Hampsten-party
Greg Randolph-former Motorola capable of beating teammates in TT...clean
Kirk Willett-dedicated American Pro

honorable mentions-
J. Vaughters-amateur beating many pros, Berzin at Mammoth Stage Race
Bunch of Aussies/early 90's-defending our GC leader, BC stage race
Michael Carter-watched as he climbed away; Tour of Willamette
Roy Knickman-watched as he followed Carter
Greg Oravetz-strong Coors pro as he rode me into curb

Infamous list
Lance-getting dropped in race as National team amateur
Alexi Grewal-acting like a d*ck, Tour of Willametter
Chris Horner-training in Bend
Tyler Hamilton-can't remember the race; he was amateur and getting shelled
Old 12-29-12, 01:21

Sir Bradley Wiggins.
David Millar
Marianne Vos
Lizzie Armistead
Fabian Cancellara
Kristian House - Far too talented to be riding pro-con.
Old 12-29-12, 05:34

I have had the honor of either racing or training with:
Robert Millar
Greg LeMond
Andy Hampsten
Chris Horner
Davis Phinney
Steve Bauer
Alexi Grewal
Raul Alcala
Thurlow Rodgers
Roy Knickman
and lucky to be teammates with:
Max Sciandri
John Brady
Dave Brinton
Steve Spratt
Old 12-29-12, 09:35
Banned

No particular order......

My cousin who used to be able to do kilometer long wheelies.

That monkey at the circus on the penny farthing.

Me and my mate on the moutain bikes we had just stolen from a driveway followed by a chase from the old bill.

My nan.
Old 12-29-12, 12:21

I've only watched the Volta a Portugual live so I saw almost all the portuguese riders and also Atapuma on a TT bike, what a view Other than that, I saw Rui Costa once and I wanted to tell to ride Flanders but he was surrounded by lots of people.