Which male rider will dominate in 2013? - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Which male rider will dominate in 2013?
Contador 53 46.90%
Wiggins 7 6.19%
Froome 11 9.73%
Gilbert 21 18.58%
Boonen 11 9.73%
Cancellara 26 23.01%
Rodriguez 4 3.54%
Sagan 54 47.79%
Valverde 8 7.08%
Other (specify) 13 11.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-12, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpos...4&postcount=21

Here's my post.

Uh, if you'd make a poll on this forum asking who's P-R win was the best: Cancellara or Vansummeren I'm pretty sure the vast majority would vote for Cancellara.
Well, for me Nuyens' RVV win was better than some guy destroying everyone. Everyone have different tastes I guess
Old 12-30-12, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
Well that's true, but it seemed as if you were talking about TT's in general, not just the WC. Winning an ITT in TDF is much more prestigious than to win a road stage, and I'm sure most people agree. Almost any rider can win a road stage with the right amount of luck...
I think we should have a poll on this question - I think 90% would say the opposite is true.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-30-12, 18:56

Quote:
Well that's true, but it seemed as if you were talking about TT's in general, not just the WC. Winning an ITT in TDF is much more prestigious than to win a road stage, and I'm sure most people agree. Almost any rider can win a road stage with the right amount of luck...

However, I do think Cancellara should've won far more road races in his career. But since he's neither a sprinter nor a climber the only realistic chance of doing so in a GT is to get into the right breakaway, which he for one reason or another hasn't seemed to bother attempting the last couple of years.
Out of Cancellara's 9 GT stage wins six of them were prologues/short time trials.

He also won a 52km time trial in the Tour once and a 30km time trial in the Vuelta(still short if you ask me). This might just be my opinion, but the longer the time trial the more prestigious the win is. I find prologues even worse than flat Tour stages that end in bunch sprints. Especially because it automatically gives the yellow jersey to who ever wins it for a whole week. When there were still bonus seconds to earn at least there was some excitement. Oh, 2007...

There's one stage missing you say?

Yeah, his best stage win in a GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNLMYpr2TM

Bam, that's how you defend a yellow jersey.

Ps: Maltiv, I suggest you watch the Tour de Suisse 2008 and you'll see some of my favorite cycling moments.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-30-12 at 19:17.
Old 12-30-12, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
I think we should have a poll on this question - I think 90% would say the opposite is true.
Depends on the stage. A flat sprint stage defo ranks below an ITT,ventoux, alpe d'huez etc are obviously a completely different matter
Old 12-30-12, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
Seriously? All kind of random riders win road stages. Sometimes the breakaway is basically given the victory by the peloton and the winner isn't decided by strength at all, rather by who attacks at the right moment. Take Millar's victory in TDF this year for example...a small breakaway was given the stage by the peloton and due to no attacks whatsoever from said breakaway all Millar had to do was to outsprint some of the worst sprinters in the peloton.
Old 12-30-12, 22:16

Quote:
Seriously? All kind of random riders win road stages. Sometimes the breakaway is basically given the victory by the peloton and the winner isn't decided by strength at all, rather by who attacks at the right moment. Take Millar's victory in TDF this year for example...a small breakaway was given the stage by the peloton and due to no attacks whatsoever from said breakaway all Millar had to do was to outsprint some of the worst sprinters in the peloton.
I'd rank a victory won by tactics and (some) strength more prestigious (ex Millar), than when the strongest rider is in the best possible position and grabs an easy win (ex Cavendish on Champs-Élysées the year Renshaw got 2nd)
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-30-12, 22:19

Quote:
What did you think about EBH's stage win from a breakaway last year?

Every stage won by a breakaway is, in essence, a gift by the peloton. That doesn't make it less prestigious.
Old 12-30-12, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post

Every stage won by a breakaway is, in essence, a gift by the peloton. That doesn't make it less prestigious.
partly disagree. In cases where the peloton (or DSs) have agreed to let a small group of unimportant riders get away very early in the day, I think a stage win is almost worthless (competition wise). Granted this happens very rarely in TdF, but often in other stage races. Very bad for the sport too.
Old 12-30-12, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
What did you think about EBH's stage win from a breakaway last year?

It was still a decent win due to three factors: 1) The peloton was partly chasing, the breakaway could never chill completely. 2) It was a huge breakaway involving lots of good riders, e.g Chavanel and Mollema 3) He won by being the strongest rider in the breakaway, not by being lucky.

But of course, had he done that attack from the peloton and held of it would've been far more epic. Anyway, my point isn't that every breakaway win isn't prestigious, it's just that they're sometimes kinda random, which TT's are not. I doubt that most people consider Fedrigo's or Millar's victories from this year's TDF as particularly impressive.
Old 12-30-12, 22:51

Quote:
You don't win a GT stage at random, I'm sorry but you are way wide of the mark with that assertion.

Millar was strong enough to win and was the smartest guy in the break. I accept you may not see that as impressive (I doubt you even watched the stage - are you sure there were no attacks in that break? Funny that it came to a sprint-á-deux from a group of five, considering there were no attacks, yeah? Are you sure Millar didn't mark the moves that mattered?) but to mark it down as a random occurrence is doing stage hunters like Voeckler or Chavanel a disservice.

Actually, considering how "random" a breakaway win apparently is, isn't it odd how often Voeckler, Fedrigo, Moncoutie, Luis Leon Sanchez, Lastras win GT stages, from a break? Amazing how lucky Virenque and Jaja got through their careers too. Oh and isn't it odd that Hushovd was lucky enough to win two Tour stages last year, you know, with it being such a random occurrence?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton