2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-01-13, 21:02
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Rabo probably got the cheapest part of the deal too.

About that climb: from the stage profile(at least if it's accurate) that stage 2 final climb is 2.5 kms at 9%, so it's quite a tough one.
Maybe even too hard for Gilbert and Gerrans, so it might be a climber who wins it.
A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:

Quote:
Corkscrew is a 2.48km climb (starting at the bridge) that has 3 distinct sections and has an average gradient of 9.5%. The first relatively straight section (about 1km) is 8 - 12% gardient, and then comes the mini Alpe D'Huez - only 4 short hairpins covering about 700m, but the gradient sits at 15 - 17% on the straight bits, from there the last 700m slowly levels out to 7% at the end (from about 11%), and then comes the 135 degree corner and straight down Montacute.
Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-01-13, 22:12
Dazed and Confused Dazed and Confused is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:



Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW!
so really improved parcours, better TV coverage, great lineup. Now we just need free drinks.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-01-13, 22:52
Parrulo's Avatar
Parrulo Parrulo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,979
Default

i decided to officially launch the 2013 season!!!!

added a race date to the tittle and made it a sticky, i know it's still 20 days to go but i bet we will be all over this thread all that time

anyway /mod hat off

stage 2 looks great!!!! isn't that little climb actually tougher then willunga?

on a serious machado note, he said he wanted to improve over his third place this year so we can count on him attacking there.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-01-13, 23:32
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

With most of the Australian and Kiwi riders in good form given that most will be racing their National Championships the week before, it will be a real selection dilemna for Orica. Not sure what they will be doing with Simon Clarke as he wasn't around for the early racing last season. This year he is racing in the Aussie team at the Herald Sun Tour and could be a key rider in the Australian Championships the week before the TDU.

He will ride alongside Gerrans in both races pre TDU, so wondering if they are setting him up as an inclusion to the OGE team this year? With his Vuelta KOM hot in his possession, he could be a real force in the Nationals and the TDU if included in the team. Will watch him with interest this Sunday at Arthurs Seat, which is the final leg of the Herald Sun Tour.

Mathews may have some stages that suit him well at TDU but will he get selected in his new team?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-01-13, 23:45
trevim's Avatar
trevim trevim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
i decided to officially launch the 2013 season!!!!

added a race date to the tittle and made it a sticky, i know it's still 20 days to go but i bet we will be all over this thread all that time

anyway /mod hat off

stage 2 looks great!!!! isn't that little climb actually tougher then willunga?

on a serious machado note, he said he wanted to improve over his third place this year so we can count on him attacking there.
Everything looks great, it's January
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-02-13, 02:06
PCutter PCutter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilba60 View Post
With most of the Australian and Kiwi riders in good form given ....
Mathews may have some stages that suit him well at TDU but will he get selected in his new team?
I expect all the guys with form or at least riding in the 'summer of cycling' to be in the team, so I see Mathews in the squad with possibly Howard as well, not sure about Goss. He's riding the Sun Tour and given Gerro has stated he will be easing off at MSR with an eye for the Ardennes perhaps OGE will look to get Goss up earlier than targeted last year, so possibly all 3 sprinters in the squad with Howard as lead out (depending on who has the legs). Add Gerro and Clarke (given he's riding Sun Tour I agree, he looks like Gerro's helper) and probably Durbridge since he will be in full prep for the National TT and thus carrying form, Stuey for his home race will always be a good guess and maybe the last spot goes to Jens Mouris who's been looking strong given his off season spent in Australia
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-02-13, 06:57
greenedge's Avatar
greenedge greenedge is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,966
Default

Gerrans or Gilbert to win I think.

I think Gavazzi or Ponzi could go well here.
__________________
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

@TheYoungest: "We might as well get dropped"

Quote:Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon......"
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-02-13, 08:52
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
I expect all the guys with form or at least riding in the 'summer of cycling' to be in the team, so I see Mathews in the squad with possibly Howard as well, not sure about Goss. He's riding the Sun Tour and given Gerro has stated he will be easing off at MSR with an eye for the Ardennes perhaps OGE will look to get Goss up earlier than targeted last year, so possibly all 3 sprinters in the squad with Howard as lead out (depending on who has the legs). Add Gerro and Clarke (given he's riding Sun Tour I agree, he looks like Gerro's helper) and probably Durbridge since he will be in full prep for the National TT and thus carrying form, Stuey for his home race will always be a good guess and maybe the last spot goes to Jens Mouris who's been looking strong given his off season spent in Australia
Wonder how much of an advantage it will be for the guys riding the Herald Sun Tour and then Nationals? I am not sure if the first road stage of the Sun Tour is going to be an advantage or disadvantage, 41C and headwind all the way will be a day to forget for most. Watch out this Friday to see the very worst South East Australian weather conditions and who survives it.

I would love to see Mathews riding the TDU, I predict he will be like Gerrans, Clarke, Davis and Impey to name a few who kick on with OGE and the way they race. Stuey has an interview on SBS and it sounds like he is a certainty for the TDU. Durbridge is flying and won today at Portarlington, so I reckon your team is pretty close to the mark. I remember reading an article with some names of the OGE riders going to San Luis, not sure if it was Howard or Docker mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-02-13, 08:56
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Did find this article on the San Luis thread;
http://procyclingbet.com/fr/content/tour-de-san-luis-1

If it is accurate, it would seem like Howard won't be riding in South Australia.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-02-13, 11:12
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
valverde...he won't even be present i guess ???

anyway this is simon's race to lose.i don't think phil will match a full form aussie in tour down under.

kash will make the peloton suffer no doubt
Valverde is not competing. Personally, I would not want a GreenEdge walkover like last year...zzz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.