2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan - Page 8 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-02-13, 22:25
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
What do Aussies think about the prospects of Cam Meyer? He's being touted as the next GC contender from Australia.
The interesting part of this story would be to know if OGE are asking Cam to be a GC rider or if Cam is genuinely wanting to take on that role. He has all the flat and hilly road attributes to be amongst the best and he did climb well last year albeit on a pre season that was based on his Madison World Championship with Leigh Howard. Being a year older and more experienced, plus a pre season that is based on the road only, I think he will have a great year and may get some top 10's in intermediate GC's. It was good to see him still riding well at Vuelta after starting at the Aussie Champs in January, shows he has some genuine endurance.

We haven't heard anything of him this year which could be a very good sign. If not injured he could be doing some serious base training. I guess we will see where he is at during the Nationals in 2 weeks. He was strong in that race last year before going hunger flat and if he is going to have a GC year, I think he will be prominent at Bunniyong.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-02-13, 22:33
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustienordic View Post
Only for stage races without climbs. He is not a great climber by any stretch of the imagination.
Was Wiggins a great climber when he left his track pursuiting and madisons? Cam is only 24 and there is no way of knowing how well he can climb till he gets a couple of years of base hills/mountains behind him. He did get 10th place at Tirreno last year when training predominantly for the World Madison Champs against some pretty handy climbers.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale 29h 38' 08"
2 Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Nissan + 14"
3 Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Astana + 26"
4 Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 53"
5 Johnny Hoogerland (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 00"
6 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 1' 16"
7 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 1' 16"
8 Wout Poels (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 25"
9 Christophe Riblon (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 1' 31"
10 Cameron Meyer (AUS) GreenEDGE + 1' 33"
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-02-13, 22:42
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilba60 View Post
Was Wiggins a great climber when he left his track pursuiting and madisons? Cam is only 24 and there is no way of knowing how well he can climb till he gets a couple of years of base hills/mountains behind him. He did get 10th place at Tirreno last year when training predominantly for the World Madison Champs against some pretty handy climbers.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale 29h 38' 08"
2 Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Nissan + 14"
3 Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Astana + 26"
4 Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 53"
5 Johnny Hoogerland (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 00"
6 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 1' 16"
7 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 1' 16"
8 Wout Poels (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 25"
9 Christophe Riblon (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 1' 31"
10 Cameron Meyer (AUS) GreenEDGE + 1' 33"
That was indeed a pretty decent climbing result. As were one or two stages in the Vuelta, in the breakaway.

But the difference with Wiggins is that he isn't a super duper time trialist, nor can he lose 7 kgs to become a great climber. He's just okay. Also, he's 25.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-02-13, 22:56
Wilba60 Wilba60 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
That was indeed a pretty decent climbing result. As were one or two stages in the Vuelta, in the breakaway.

But the difference with Wiggins is that he isn't a super duper time trialist, nor can he lose 7 kgs to become a great climber. He's just okay. Also, he's 25.
Cameron Meyer (born 11 January 1988 in Viveash, Western Australia). He is still 24 for another week :-)

I am not arguing that Meyer can be like Wiggins or a great GC rider but it is still way to early to call. My comparison to Wiggins was to show that at the same age they were in very similar situations. Wiggins came off the Olympics at 24, in his 25th year "he revealed his desire to compete in road cycling[28] and in April won the time trial on stage 2 of the Circuit de Lorraine,[29] then went on to win stage 8 of the Tour de l'Avenir in September.[30] Wiggins rode the 2005 Giro d'Italia, finishing 123rd overall.[31]"
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-02-13, 23:17
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilba60 View Post
Cameron Meyer (born 11 January 1988 in Viveash, Western Australia). He is still 24 for another week :-)

I am not arguing that Meyer can be like Wiggins or a great GC rider but it is still way to early to call. My comparison to Wiggins was to show that at the same age they were in very similar situations. Wiggins came off the Olympics at 24, in his 25th year "he revealed his desire to compete in road cycling[28] and in April won the time trial on stage 2 of the Circuit de Lorraine,[29] then went on to win stage 8 of the Tour de l'Avenir in September.[30] Wiggins rode the 2005 Giro d'Italia, finishing 123rd overall.[31]"
Yes, people forget that Wiggins was no overnight sensation. Far from it. Still Bobridge and the Meyers will have to start showing some progression in the next few years and they should. If they don't plenty of team directors will look a bit silly but that is sport. Sometimes the best young talents or potential talents don't go on with it as they get older.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-02-13, 23:21
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Yes, people forget that Wiggins was no overnight sensation. Far from it. Still Bobridge and the Meyers will have to start showing some progression in the next few years and they should. If they don't plenty of team directors will look a bit silly but that is sport. Sometimes the best young talents or potential talents don't go on with it as they get older.
It seems in Australia you're dubbed a climber pretty soon. No one in Europe would consider Bobridge or Meyer climbers.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-02-13, 23:38
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
It seems in Australia you're dubbed a climber pretty soon. No one in Europe would consider Bobridge or Meyer climbers.
I agree but there was plenty of hype about signing them. I don't think anyone really knew what they could achieve when they were signed. Raw talents. As for Australian climbers I can only think of Evans and Lloyd, wherever he is. Porte also has improved. I don't see Rogers as a great climber but on his day he can surprise. Haas does well in Australian conditions. I think the typical Australian rider in the pro ranks is known more for sprinting looking at previous years. Long time between Anderson and Evans.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-03-13, 00:02
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
I agree but there was plenty of hype about signing them. I don't think anyone really knew what they could achieve when they were signed. Raw talents. As for Australian climbers I can only think of Evans and Lloyd, wherever he is. Porte also has improved. I don't see Rogers as a great climber but on his day he can surprise. Haas does well in Australian conditions. I think the typical Australian rider in the pro ranks is known more for sprinting looking at previous years. Long time between Anderson and Evans.
Porte and Rogers seemed to improve out of nowhere last year, but that is another subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
That was indeed a pretty decent climbing result. As were one or two stages in the Vuelta, in the breakaway.

But the difference with Wiggins is that he isn't a super duper time trialist, nor can he lose 7 kgs to become a great climber. He's just okay. Also, he's 25.
It was a decent result but he did come from the breakaway. Your second paragraph is spot on. I don't see him as a super climber, he can't really drop much more weight and even though his time trial is good, it isn't good enough if you are not a pure climber.

theyoungest is also right that we do seem to over hype our riders and young talent based on results in the lab and not on the road in serious races. This largely comes from the SBS commentary team (i.e. Tomalaris, McGrory, Keenan, etc.). I personally think Bobridge will become a sold rider, but certainly not a super talent when up against the top European pros. The real major talents I see coming out of Australia are Durbridge and Ewan although he is a few years away from the WT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-03-13, 00:07
Parrulo's Avatar
Parrulo Parrulo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9,976
Default

never understood why in some countries like australia lab results were given such importance.

we have never seen lab results from guys like contador, schleck, gilbert, Costa and Valverde and we knew all along from the young ranks they would almost certainly be top riders.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-03-13, 00:11
auscyclefan94's Avatar
auscyclefan94 auscyclefan94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
never understood why in some countries like australia lab results were given such importance.

we have never seen lab results from guys like contador, schleck, gilbert, Costa and Valverde and we knew all along from the young ranks they would almost certainly be top riders.
Lab results have only been given high importance in Australia because of Evans breaking all of the lab records at the AIS and being described as one of the most talented athletes they have had at the AIS, according to the sport scientists. Due to the Evans achieving many top results, this has now become a defining indicator of talent on the road for future riders, which I believe is wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggercuz View Post
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.