2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion - Page 10 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Giro?
Wiggins 137 35.31%
Nibali 140 36.08%
Gesink 26 6.70%
Hesjedal 28 7.22%
Sanchez 12 3.09%
Basso/Scarponi 7 1.80%
Rujano 3 0.77%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti 9 2.32%
A Colombian 10 2.58%
Other/Garzelli 16 4.12%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
Apparently there are quite a number of ppl agreeing with me that Gesink will win.
I'm not saying he can't win, but the fact that only Dutchies vote for the guy should tell you something

Objectively, there are guys with way better GT credentials than him in this poll.
Old 01-10-13, 11:12

Quote:
And yes I can be serious. Gesink has massive potential in both Climbing and Time Trials and is a serious contender.
+ 1 He's my 2nd fave!
Old 01-10-13, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
I'm not saying he can't win, but the fact that only Dutchies vote for the guy should tell you something

Objectively, there are guys with way better GT credentials than him in this poll.
It is normal that a person will vote for their star in their country. And yes it is also understandable that for people in other countries will not see him winning the Giro as he has not shown it in the past. There were glimpses of qualities in the past, however due to various reasons they were never glued together in a 3 weeks Grand Tour.
If he is able to manage that, and if Wiggins does not have the form of 2012 I think he has a good shot. And it is my honest opinion that he posesses better quality than Nibali on the longer climbs and time trials.
Nibali is allot stronger on the shorter and steeper climbs as he is more explosive than Gesink and Wiggins. Nibali is also a perfect rider for a Vuelta Espania and less for the Giro. He will do well, but he wont win. (is my opinion)
Old 01-10-13, 11:36

Send a message via ICQ to search Send a message via Skype™ to search

according to luxemburgian newspaper Wort Ben Gastauer is confirmed to do the Giro for AG2R.

As preparation to this he will also do the Giro del Trentino (which would mean AG2R will be invited, whcih was not officially mentioned so far I think)
Old 01-10-13, 11:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by search View Post
according to luxemburgian newspaper Wort Ben Gastauer is confirmed to do the Giro for AG2R.

As preparation to this he will also do the Giro del Trentino (which would mean AG2R will be invited, whcih was not officially mentioned so far I think)
they have the defending champion anyway.

Speaking of ag2r, what about Gadret?

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-10-13, 11:52

Quote:
It is normal that a person will vote for their star in their country. And yes it is also understandable that for people in other countries will not see him winning the Giro as he has not shown it in the past. There were glimpses of qualities in the past, however due to various reasons they were never glued together in a 3 weeks Grand Tour.
If he is able to manage that, and if Wiggins does not have the form of 2012 I think he has a good shot. And it is my honest opinion that he posesses better quality than Nibali on the longer climbs and time trials.
Nibali is always fairly unspectacular, but he's also quite consistent, and he knows how to save energy in a three week race. He has also shown steady progression whereas Gesink's progress has been halted and, in my view, set back by the legbreak. In the only "real" mountain stage of the Vuelta with multiple cols you could see Gesink suffered like hell, and he was dropped really early, from a 20 man group. To the "old" Gesink this would never have happened. And the Giro has more stages like this.

Quote:
Nibali is allot stronger on the shorter and steeper climbs as he is more explosive than Gesink and Wiggins. Nibali is also a perfect rider for a Vuelta Espania and less for the Giro. He will do well, but he wont win. (is my opinion)
Nibali is not that explosive at all. Gesink used to be better on hills than him.

But nowhere do I say that Nibali will be the main contender... I think Hesjedal and Wiggins have an equal or bigger chance.
Old 01-10-13, 12:03

Send a message via ICQ to search Send a message via Skype™ to search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
Speaking of ag2r, what about Gadret?
he will skip the Giro and focus on the tour

Edit: source
Old 01-10-13, 12:07
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by search View Post
he will skip the Giro and focus on the tour

Edit: source
ok I seemed to remember something like that but wasn't sure.

Old 01-10-13, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Nibali is always fairly unspectacular, but he's also quite consistent, and he knows how to save energy in a three week race. He has also shown steady progression whereas Gesink's progress has been halted and, in my view, set back by the legbreak. In the only "real" mountain stage of the Vuelta with multiple cols you could see Gesink suffered like hell, and he was dropped really early, from a 20 man group. To the "old" Gesink this would never have happened. And the Giro has more stages like this.

Nibali is not that explosive at all. Gesink used to be better on hills than him.

But nowhere do I say that Nibali will be the main contender... I think Hesjedal and Wiggins have an equal or bigger chance.
Nibali still won stage in the Tirreno Adriatico on a relative short climb, which indicates to me he is quite explosive. But indeed not as explosive as Rodriguez, Contador or Valverde.

With regards to Gesinks Vuelta last year, not really fair to judge him entirely on that. for 2 reasons he was not at his best there.
1. He broke his leg and had to learn how to walk again, therefore the power in his legs are not back to normal yet. (explained many times)
2. His peak form was targeted for the Tour the France, however because he fell there he tried to go for the Vuelta. The vorm was OK but not at a peak.

And Gesink indeed got dropped once when there were 20 riders still in the group (bad day in the office) however there were also many times that he finished many times in the top 10 on mountain stages. and had a not to bad 6th place in the overall classement.

I dont have the feeling that Hesjedal will perform as well as he did last year. He is a capable rider, but some how I see his performance in the Giro as a one off
Old 01-10-13, 13:26
Administrator

Quote:
Nibali still won stage in the Tirreno Adriatico on a relative short climb
If you mean last year, it was 14 kms at 7% or so. Hardly a short climb.

Closed Thread