2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion - Page 23 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 Giro?
Wiggins 137 35.31%
Nibali 140 36.08%
Gesink 26 6.70%
Hesjedal 28 7.22%
Sanchez 12 3.09%
Basso/Scarponi 7 1.80%
Rujano 3 0.77%
Cobo/Capecchi/Intxausti 9 2.32%
A Colombian 10 2.58%
Other/Garzelli 16 4.12%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-13, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanton View Post
Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.
Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.
Old 01-14-13, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Lacking in experience ?

Wiggins, Kiryenka, Lopez are all experienced imo.

Obviously I think either Hayman / Stannard will go as flat workhorse. Puccio might be given a debut this year as well.
Those three have experience but what will the communication and tactical input be like on the road? Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).

A certain Australian will be a big miss I think.
Old 01-14-13, 20:56

What's up with the Basso/Scarponi combination option?

Andrea Noč on Di Luca, "Il Killer di Spoltore"
Old 01-14-13, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
What's up with the Basso/Scarponi combination option?
Experiment of Fuentes gone too far.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-14-13, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
why are you bringen colombians up in this? did I? doesn't exactly make your argument any stronger
Isn't it obvious? Because they are seemingly riders you do like. You were berating the fondness people show Nibali on this forum. All I was asking is why would people dislike him? For his snarky comments against Wiggins on the last tour? Because as a cyclists he makes the best of what he has. And according to you he hasn't got much to work with. Whereas the Colombians you are always touting probably don't attack any more often than he does and are generally no where to be seen on downhill sections despite apparently being infinitely more talented. So enlighten me. What should we be looking for in a rider? Ones that resemble a Christmas elf? for the record, I am quite fond of several Colombian riders.
Old 01-14-13, 22:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Experiment of Fuentes gone too far.
that's a good one

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-14-13, 22:21

Looking forward to seeing what Phinney can do in that ITT.
Old 01-15-13, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
that's a good one
Oh I want to vote for that now.
Old 01-15-13, 09:21

Quote:
Wiggins is notorious for being terrible at that and the other two barely speak a word of English! (and from what I've read are rather quiet characters anyway).
Ha yeah I think sky could have some language difficulties across their team. Not sure about the english skills of the likes of Lopez, Siutsou, Henao, Uran, Kiri but thats why they're scheduled to ride the same pre-giro stage races and training camps, to build the chemistry and get on the same wave length.
Old 01-16-13, 00:29

Quote:
Looking at those nine they seem to be missing at least one diesel for the flat (someone like Pate, Stannard or Eisel). Sky probably have a long list of 12 or something for the Giro so for example it's probably unlikely that both Kennaugh and Dombrowski will ride considering the other climbers that are likely going (Porte, Henao, Kiryienka, Cataldo, Lopez).

There's also no obvious road captain and rather lacking in experience.
Id be very suprised if Sky dont take one of Eisel or Stannard to the Giro. Both have been road captains before and can put in a good shift on the flat.
Closed Thread