A very sad day - Nicole Cooke retires - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-14-13, 18:14
Banned

Default A very sad day - Nicole Cooke retires

As the number one fan (she never knew she had)
I can only say it is a sad day for cycling.

Nicole Cooke retires
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nico...s-from-cycling

Suggest all read her retirement statement on her own website
http://www.nicolecooke.com/index.php...news&Itemid=18

I have watched her every time I could since seeing her in person when she fell on a corner at the commonwealths - and saw hereget up, dust her self down, , launch herself at the leaders, long gone, and in a burst of pure adrenalin and gold hair catch them and pass them to medal - which we saw spellbound on a little portable TV at the roadside where she fell.

All I can say if you read this Nicole, is thanks for all the memories. It has been a joy to watch you.

Last edited by mountainrman; 01-14-13 at 18:35.
Old 01-14-13, 18:43

Indeed, the state of women's cycling is a shame.
Old 01-14-13, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post

it is good to hear nicole upbeat announcing her retirement despite recent

difficulties

She didn't sound very upbeat to me.
Old 01-14-13, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
She didn't sound very upbeat to me.
"I am very happy with my career. I have many, many happy memories over what has been my life's work since I was 12," said Cooke. "I have won every race and more that I dreamed I could win."

"My time in the sport has finished," said Cooke. "I hope I will look on in 10 years' time and see a vibrant and healthy women's road scene. The key to that will be that the female athletes are treated with respect."

... Sounds just like the 'upbeat' feisty trier that she has always been, from what I've read of the interview.

Telling the naked truth about doping and the complete lack of UCI support for women's cycling, is just factual reporting.
Old 01-14-13, 19:55

In her pomp, Nicole was the most combative and canny racer I've seen since Merckx.

She may not have been the freak of nature that is Marianne Vos, but she so often pulled off astonishing solo wins, against riders doped up to the eyeballs and with massive team support.

When she really went on the attack, there is no male rider of recent generations that I'd rather watch.
Old 01-14-13, 20:01

Best British cyclist in my lifetime. It's a shame her form disappeared the last couple of years. Cooke circa 2008 vs Vos would have been epic. Womens' cycling badly needs a new star
Old 01-14-13, 20:01

Emma Pooley downgrading to a part-time ride at a Swiss semi-pro team, Nicole Cooke retiring... yea, cycling's doing GREAT in Great Britain.

The women were the riders the Brits could have made a big deal about. No, should have done. Cooke's Olympic gold was a brilliant win in a brilliant race, but the next thing that happened is the powers that be decided, mission accomplished, and bailed on women's cycling leaving her to have floundered for four years, first in doomed self-run projects, then without a trade team, in a few races backed by inexperienced youngsters in a national team, then finally as an afterthought in an Italian team stacked with talent.

I can't blame her for saying enough is enough, and it's a further indictment of the lack of support and assistance the women's races get.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 01-14-13, 20:31

Her Olympic Gold was my sporting highlight of 2008 (as a viewer). She was attacking at every opportunity and still was able to win the sprint at the end. First and in my eye the best gold medal of beijing. And then to top it off with the worlds a few months later.

I think that achievement is equal to almost any sporting achievement of recent years across any sports and that the current crop of british female riders in the peloton have a lot to thank Nicole Cooke for.

And Nicole and Lizzie Armistead may not be the best of friends but it seems they're both united in their criticism of the UCI and rightfully so.
Old 01-14-13, 20:46

what a pity to be "forced" to abandon your profession because of the lack of support. Is Nicole perhaps thinking of staying in the sport as a DS or adviser in a near future?
Old 01-14-13, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Emma Pooley downgrading to a part-time ride at a Swiss semi-pro team, Nicole Cooke retiring... yea, cycling's doing GREAT in Great Britain.

The women were the riders the Brits could have made a big deal about. No, should have done. Cooke's Olympic gold was a brilliant win in a brilliant race, but the next thing that happened is the powers that be decided, mission accomplished, and bailed on women's cycling leaving her to have floundered for four years, first in doomed self-run projects, then without a trade team, in a few races backed by inexperienced youngsters in a national team, then finally as an afterthought in an Italian team stacked with talent.

I can't blame her for saying enough is enough, and it's a further indictment of the lack of support and assistance the women's races get.
Wiggle Honda is a step in a right direction and I suspect Sky may field a women's team in the near future once the development team is set up at British Cycling. Women's cycling has a long way to go though.