Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN. - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-14-13, 20:18

Default Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN.

Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.
Old 01-14-13, 20:33

Nothing is going to happen unless the UCI actually offer some support. Irrespective of what "gender" the UCI is
Old 01-14-13, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Aroundo View Post
Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.
The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.
Old 01-14-13, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphillstruggle View Post
The problem being that men are usually in the positions of power in the organisations and companies that can actually put together a race for example or sponsor a team. You make it sound as though female cyclist are a load of money grabbing house wives, they are just pointing out the insecurity of their profession which is fair enough considering what a pro has to give up to be where they are.

Remember that the Basque races asked for a handout last year to keep their races going but that's a race for men and they asked other men with money for help so that is ok.
Do you live in Athens 450 B.C by any chance?
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-27-13, 19:48

Default New Wiggle/Honda team

I am ashamed to say, I couldn't help laughing at this.

Asked what difference to the new Wiggle/Honda team support would make to OL gold medal winner Laura Trott, she said: "If I ever need anything, like a pair of shoes, I can get it"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21201082

I KNOW if a man said that I wouldn't find it funny, but what the hell, you're allowed a night off

Last edited by coinneach; 01-27-13 at 19:57. Reason: provide link
Old 01-27-13, 19:53
Banned

I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.
Old 01-27-13, 19:57

Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.
Old 01-27-13, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Can we please have a women's racing subforum so I don't have to read this boring drivel every month.
Well, if my post was sexist, yours trumps it by quite some way!
Old 01-27-13, 20:00
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post

You don't have to read it. The thread title is pretty clear, why did you click on it if you know it is going to displease you?

Odd.
Old 01-27-13, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Do you live in Athens 450 B.C by any chance?
Lol i love how everytime you get taught something at uni you make.references to.that subject on here to try and look all clever. You've been on velorooms all week talking about how you have to revise ancient athens and all the specifics.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.