Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN. - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-28-13, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I'm struggling to think of how the situation in cycling differs from any other sport, with the possible exception of Tennis.

Its lamentable, but then it is a reflection of the priviledged position that men hold in society.
Is tennis the only sport where men and women compete together?
Old 01-28-13, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamp78 View Post
Nothing is going to happen unless the UCI actually offer some support. Irrespective of what "gender" the UCI is
This. It's another way of saying they ALREADY FACE THIS ISSUE ON THEIR OWN. And the UCI is no help.

Remember, there was a Tour de France run for women for many years too. Both the male and female malliot jaune shared the podium.

FYI: Equestrian events like dressage men and women compete together.

Title IX anyone? The doom sayers claimed it would eviscerate Men's sports and it didn't. What a shocker. Equal prize purses should be a given in cycling at the elite level. The Women's racing can be good.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 01-28-13 at 06:40.
Old 01-28-13, 06:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanatic View Post
Is tennis the only sport where men and women compete together?
I'm thinking in terms of pay differential
Old 01-28-13, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I'm thinking in terms of pay differential
Cross Country, Biathlon, Alpine Skiing and Figure skating probably comes close to equality in pay structure/prize money.
Old 01-28-13, 09:17

http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2...201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-28-13, 09:33

What ever happened to, "I am woman hear me roar"? Or how ever that saying goes?

Funny thing is the powers that be are a bit busy with not getting overthrown so I think this one is going to be shelved for some time, if not indefinitely.
Old 01-28-13, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
http://realbiathlon.blogspot.co.uk/2...201112_22.html

Biathlon doesn't compare too well to Alpine or XC in terms of prize money, but it makes up for that elsewhere in its income due to outdrawing all other winter championships. All three sports' highest earners of prize money in the 2011-12 season were female (Lindsey Vonn, Marit Bjørgen and Magdalena Neuner). The top 10 highest earners in FIS events are split 50-50 between men and women with 7 Alpine skiers (4 men, 3 women) and 3 XC skiers (2 women, 1 man). With a more open competition for the men's World Cup last year, prize money among biathletes was spread out more evenly in the men's field, whereas the majority of the money for the women was collected by the top few, with only 2 men (Martin Fourcade and Emil Hegle Svendsen) collecting more than €100.000 in prize money, as opposed to 5 women (Magdalena Neuner, Darya Domracheva, Tora Berger, Kaisa Mäkäräinen and Olga Zaitseva). For 2012-13 the prize money for individual races has been increased, but with both Tora Berger and Martin Fourcade looking likely to hold the yellow bib and most red bibs throughout the season, they look like bogarting most of the prize money especially as, like in cycling, holding the leader's bib offers a smaller cash incentive.
I thought LS knew quite a lot about cycling, but now I realise its not just cycling...you should get paid for this!
Old 01-28-13, 21:23

Prize money for Tour of Qatar (starting 29 January.)

Women (4 stages) €21 360
Men (5 stages + TTT) €103 375

If the number of stages were the same it would be about a 1:4 ratio - is this about the same as other parallel events (RVV, FW?) The prize money is better than the Giro Donne which is closer to €10K from what I've read.
Old 01-29-13, 01:40
Administrator

Interesting argument.

In NCAA college sports there is something called Title IX. It refers to equal opportunity for female sports participation, and isn't contingent on revenue generation. Lots of debates about Title IX.

In the US, women's soccer isn't on the level of MLS when it comes to money, but remains quite popular, especially in participation, with women making up nearly 50% of all athletes who play competitive soccer. Go to any school event and girls soccer is nearly equal in popularity to boys.
Old 01-29-13, 01:55

Three words: Beach bike racing.

It did wonders for volleyball.