Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN. - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-29-13, 02:26

If a sport is interesting to the general public, it will thrive and the money will pour in. If not, it will forever remain relatively obscure. Case in point:

Women's football: not interesting, will never become a big deal. Boring.

Women's tennis: HUGE! Very entertaining.

That's life. I don't predict big things for women's cycling, mainly based on my own complete lack of interest. I do however have immense respect for the podium girls.
Old 01-29-13, 02:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausfarre View Post
If a sport is interesting to the general public, it will thrive and the money will pour in. If not, it will forever remain relatively obscure. Case in point:

Women's football: not interesting, will never become a big deal. Boring.

Women's tennis: HUGE! Very entertaining.

That's life. I don't predict big things for women's cycling, mainly based on my own complete lack of interest. I do however have immense respect for the podium girls.
What an appallingly sexist obnoxious post. The entertainment from the women's football at the Olympics was far better than the drab men's tournament. Granted that has a lot to do with the weird U23 format I think, but the women's game has the potential to deliver thrilling matches, just like I can go to a 5th tier game and enjoy it more than a PL game. As more and more women get into football, one might expect the women's game to increase in both quality and popularity. The podium girls comment was just the icing on the misogynist cake - not good enough to actually take part but they can stand there and look pretty? Get back to your cave.
Old 01-29-13, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Aroundo View Post
Asking for men to have better wages, more races, bigger prizes and better organized teams for women sounds like women are helpless and have a dependency on a male run sport. I think that women have to take responsibility themselves to create a better environment for women racing by organizing events, sponsoring teams, and putting out an effort to improve women's lot in the sport. Complaining about it, waiting fro men to contribute, and doing nothing personally to improve the present situation will not create the fair changes that most agree are needed.
If men weren't in more or less total control of the UCI then they wouldn't be "asking men" for it. As it is you are blaming an unequal power structure on the victims of it - how exactly can women's cycling do anything without asking men when the ones in charge are men? The insinuation that no-one involved in women's cycling is trying to do anything to make things better is frankly nasty, too.
Old 01-29-13, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Three words: Beach bike racing.
Got it already.

Cross.

But maybe they should ride in skimpy bikinis.....

For anybody who fails to notice, this is me being sarcastic.
Old 01-29-13, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post

You don't have to read it. The thread title is pretty clear, why did you click on it if you know it is going to displease you?

Odd.
It's a point that needed making, and this was the most appropriate thread.

As it stands, with a nominally mixed forum, you periodically get some smart **** trying to bring Vos in to discussions.

Why not create a women's cycling forum where they can discuss it to their heart's content.
Old 01-29-13, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post

As it stands, with a nominally mixed forum, you periodically get some smart **** trying to bring Vos in to discussions.
So? Sometimes it's appropriate.

Quote:
Why not create a women's cycling forum where they can discuss it to their heart's content.
I don't much care to read the endless fan threads, with fanboys having wet dreams over Wiggins, Purito, Contador, the Schlecks, Valverde etc etc and there are far more of those than there are threads about women's cycling. But I just click on through.
Old 01-29-13, 13:07

Sport doesn't owe anyone a living.

This isn't some worldwide conspiracy, it's straight economics. If enough people show enough interest in your sport, the dollars will come.
Old 01-29-13, 14:59

Quote:
Did it need making? Could you not have just written "I'm a sexist" in your sig and saved yourself the trouble?

Quote:
Perhaps because Vos is under-appreciated; she is one of the most dominant sportspeople ever.

Quote:
Why, though? Just don't click on the thread or don't bother reading the Vos comments if you're that sensitive. Just because you want to act in this way doesn't mean everyone else does.
Old 01-29-13, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eggman View Post
Sport doesn't owe anyone a living.

This isn't some worldwide conspiracy, it's straight economics. If enough people show enough interest in your sport, the dollars will come.
Yet if that is the case, why does the governing body invest in promoting cycling at all? Why is there such a thing as advertising if this is the case? Adequate prize money, it could be argued, would increase the level by encouraging greater competition. The UCI goes out of its way to promote men's cycling across the globe, but not women's. Why?
Old 01-29-13, 19:40

Al-Jazeera are tape-delay broadcasting full coverage of the women's Tour of Qatar at present on Al-Jazeera Sport Global, which as a bonus is free to view online from most places.

Stage 1 was a typical Qatar stage, with echelons, a four-woman break that went the distance but only just held off a strong chase group, with the bunch at 2 minutes.

Forever tte de la course.