Women Racers have to face the challenge ON THEIR OWN. - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-30-13, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eggman View Post
Here's the thing - I don't thing the problem is actually a lack of exposure. The sporting public are in fact aware that women's elite level cycling exists, just as we know lawn bowls exists, badminton exists, curling exists, archery exists, etc etc etc. The problem is the sporting public don't find it compelling enough to sit down and watch it on the telly/get out to the course/track/oval/court to warrant TV networks and sponsors investing in the sport.

And I come back to my initial point - Sport doesn't owe anyone a living. I'm sure elite women's cyclists would like to make more money out of their sport, as I'm sure do the elite lawn bowls players or archers, but at the end of the day it is only sport. A very lucky few in a handful of sports make great money out of what they do - that doesn't mean everyone is entitled to it.
How do you think Britain got its public interested in cycling? There was a big population of people aware cycling existed but who couldn't give a damn for a long time.

When there are British big names, they get coverage, people who only paid a passing interest watch to cheer on their guys (or girls for that matter, especially on the track), and become fans of the sport.

But a lot of that would not have happened had the British sports funding through the lottery and whatever else it was not put a lot of focus on cycling, to try to develop it. It wasn't an organic groundswell of quality riders just happening to convene on the same place and time. It was carefully orchestrated and manufactured. The British population learnt the (British) characters, which gave them people they wanted to cheer on, and kept coming back. But had Britain not put the money in (partially based on the number of Olympic medals available) to develop the sport, it would never have happened.

Women's cycling has a decent amount of interest in only a handful of places. The Netherlands and Italy (to a lesser extent also Australia, who have a lot of top talents). Which just happens to be where most of the stars come from. The stars coming from there means there's more interest there, and there being more interest there means there are more races there which helps more stars be developed there.

Forever tte de la course.

Last edited by Libertine Seguros; 01-30-13 at 12:01.
Old 01-30-13, 12:22

*Sigh* GreenEdge put 5 of their 6 riders in the break, leave it to the last 5km to attack it (seemed fair enough given the wind conditions), but Kirsten Wild polices every move, they let it go to a bunch finish with 10 remaining of the break, of whom 5 are GreenEdge riders, and GreenEdge manage 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th and 10th.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 01-30-13, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausfarre View Post
Really? Women's football more exciting? Really?!?? No further comment needed.
Is there a match from the men's tournament that matched the semi-final between the USA and Canada in the women's? A local rivalry featuring the most historically successful team in women's football. The underdog Canada went ahead three times, only to see the USA equalise each time, pushing the match in extra time where the USA clinched a place in the final with a goal in the 123rd minute. That's an exciting game if it's pub teams in the park, who are a long way below the level of top women. Frankly I thought the women's games showed more passion - they looked like they cared more about the tournament. Onto the attendances - yes it was in a country which was going mad for the Olympics, but there were three games which achieved over 60,000 - there is clearly a market somewhere for this sport.

Quote:
You do a lot of senseless namecalling but you are not the holder of all things true. Women's tennis may be MORE exciting because it's not about just serving with 500 km/h. Things do not have to be equal. This is Earth, not Utopia.
Women's vs men's tennis is an interesting one. The play in women's is often more interesting (due, like you say to the excessive power of the men's game) but I really like the 5-setters at times.

Quote:
And what is wrong with liking podium girls? Seriously, I can tell you have no sense of humour but is there really anything wrong with that? Sorry for my honesty, but I do not find women's cycling interesting just like women's snooker is boring. Sexist, mysoginistic.... Rubbish. Pure rubbish. Now please apologise.
I would contest that my namecalling was senseless. I would say it was perfectly sensible - you derided women who worked hard in actually achieving something in sports and praised the girls who just stand there and look pretty on the podium - you were quite simply being very misogynist so no, I won't apologise. There's nothing wrong with saying you like podium girls. I like pretty girls too; ironically, given your insinuation that I had no sense of humour, they've always seemed quite keen on that. What I think is wrong is the insinuation that the podium is in some way the place of women in sport. Again, it is not you saying that you find women's sport boring that I find offensive - it is you saying that it could never be interesting that I think is offensive. No apology forthcoming until you stop being a pig.
Old 01-31-13, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eggman View Post
The UCI promotes the men's cycling as that's where the interest and thus the money is. But don't put the cart before the horse and mistakenly think you could magically create interest by spending money on promotion. Interest happens organically.
I think that you may have made that up on the spot.

If women's events were run congruently with men's and with a little promotion, then maybe the 'organic' interest may occur. It's a nudge for gods sake, not a push. Once again though, that's speculation. That said, it seems to me a for cry more likely though than your argument.

Last edited by nepetalactone; 01-31-13 at 02:15. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-13, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
I think a solution would be that ANY protour race would have to have a race for both gender, and that when applying for proteam licens, teams that have a team of each gender gets a benefit.

Yes because more quota for women is exactly what our society needs.
Old 01-31-13, 17:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich78BEL View Post
Yes because more quota for women is exactly what our society needs.
I'm sorry but I'm all for anything that does harm to the patriarchal nature of our society. Equal pay and opportunities in sport would be a start
Old 01-31-13, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djave Bikinus View Post
I'm sorry but I'm all for anything that does harm to the patriarchal nature of our society. Equal pay and opportunities in sport would be a start
Pay in sports is based on exposure. Most female sports fail to attract as many viewers as the equivalent male sport, so where should the money come from? Should the men give the money they earned to women, who fail to attract an audience? Why is this fair?

A good example is women soccer. Even women don't watch it. So are all those women who refuse to watch indoctrinated by the patriarchy? Or are feminists just blaming everything they don't like in society on this big straw man?

PS. Modern feminism is a pile of crap.
Old 01-31-13, 19:09

Quote:
Where does it end?
Old 01-31-13, 19:14
Banned

Lack of a priviledged position for either men or women.
Old 01-31-13, 19:19

Quote:
Lack of a priviledged position for either men or women.
Men and women have different capabilities. It would be silly to deny that. In sport, men usually have the edge due to the physical nature of that activity.