Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-15-13, 19:50

Default Amstel Gold finish line change

A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<
Old 01-15-13, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGene View Post
A story says the finish line for Amstel Gold 2013 will be moved 2 km past the Cauberg, to give more riders a chance to win.

I liked the finish at the top of the Cauberg, and in general dislike too many sprint finishes. One reason the Amstel Gold has appealed to me is that a strong rider can win without having the strongest team or the best leadout.

1. Will this change bring out more sprint finishes, or is it still too close to the Cauberg to allow sprint trains to do their thing?

2. Any other opinions on whether this is a positive or a negative change?

Cheers,
GatorGene
---;==;<
Winner will be slightly more unpredictable which is always good, but race action will likely continue to be a matter of minutes rather than anything approaching the hour mark. Try cutting the team size to 6.
Old 01-15-13, 20:00
Administrator

thank god they moved the finish line!!!1

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.
Old 01-15-13, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post

AGR has become a glorified uphill sprint over the last few years, much like fleche wallone, this change hopefully bring a new and better race dynamic to the race.

also have you ever actually watched AGR? no way in hell will a sprinter ever makes it to the finishing line with the favourites on the AGR.
I already miss Freire
Old 01-15-13, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post

That depends if you consider Degenkolb, EBH or Sagan sprinters. Who have won mass sprints plenty.

Both of them 3 can make it I'd say. It really depends what form they will have coming of out cobbled classics.
Old 01-15-13, 20:23

Thumbs up

Good decision IMO-but I think the race should get way more selective before the Cauberg by adding either more hills or direct it through more technical roads.
Old 01-15-13, 20:31

I doubt it will change that much, maybe the more sprinter type guys like Sagan or EBH will have a better chance against the puncheur types like Gilbert or Purito. If a rider can be very strong on the Cauberg though, they should be able to make it the remaining 2 km. Gilbert demonstrated this at worlds.

Overall I think it's a good idea though, it could definitely inspire more attacks. And maybe we'll get some counter attacks if a select group comes over the Cauberg together.
Old 01-15-13, 20:40

I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.
Old 01-15-13, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I liked the Cauberg finish, sure another uphill finish but the race was that all along. The finish maybe moved another 2K but they are still going up the Cauberg (right?) so it will still be a factor and its not like Cav is now going to win it.
Basically same as Worlds.. So yeah
Old 01-15-13, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
Good decision IMO-but I think the race should get way more selective before the Cauberg by adding either more hills or direct it through more technical roads.
The race will be more selective with less hills. Currently, every attack before Keutenberg is suicide. The sheer number of climbs kills any initiative. No race favourite or outsider takes the risk of trying a surprise move.

The new Tour of Flanders has the same problem IMO. This year an elite group with Boonen, Pozzato, Ballan and Sagan broke away at 35km to go. No way the peloton would catch them in the traditional Tour of Flanders. But this year it happened as the big guns where relying on the last ascent of the Kwaremont & Paterberg to make the difference.

As a race organiser you have to make sure the riders are willing to make the race. This will automatically result in a more selective and attractive race.