Santos Tour Down Under Stage 2 Mt. Barker to Rostrevor 116.5km - Page 22 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-23-13, 17:52

So if you start sick in a GT, and you are nto sick anymore after a week, its not possible to ride better? Its the same when you start with almost no long rides in your legs and then you get better at handling the distance after some days.

Must be nice by the way to ride a world record (individual pursuit) on the track without focussing on it!
Old 01-23-13, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
I don't know if someone already mentioned it but Gilbert looks a bit fat
If you're going to make that post, you really need to include the traditional January photo of a cyclist breathing out.
Old 01-23-13, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeballs Out View Post
The crash wasn't shown. I think the riders involved were behind the 2nd group - at least they were behind on the climb. Gilbert started in a good position but seemed to slide backwards from what we saw. Maybe strength of numbers would have helped the chase but Thomas was very strong and would have won regardless
thanks!

10 char
Old 01-23-13, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudz0r View Post
So if you start sick in a GT, and you are nto sick anymore after a week, its not possible to ride better? Its the same when you start with almost no long rides in your legs and then you get better at handling the distance after some days.

Must be nice by the way to ride a world record (individual pursuit) on the track without focussing on it!
Most cyclists get sick during the Tour because their immunity system is weak because of being on good form and the daily hard efforts. It has to be a harmless disease if you want to be cured of it during a Grand Tour.

But realistically speaking, no one is going to be as fresh at the last stage of a GT as they were in the first stage. Geraint Thomas would've won the final time trial if he was still as fresh as day 1. And banned for doping lol.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-23-13, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
But realistically speaking, no one is going to be as fresh at the last stage of a GT as they were in the first stage.
there are quite two decades since this is not true
pretty much all the big performances come in the second or even in the third week of racing. fortunately it's less about realistic and more about the magic. that's why pro cycling is so good and hopefully will stay the same
Old 01-23-13, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
there are quite two decades since this is not true
pretty much all the big performances come in the second or even in the third week of racing. fortunately it's less about realistic and more about the magic. that's why pro cycling is so good and hopefully will stay the same
Because the last week has all the decisive stages.

And like I said, EVERYONE gets worse. Just some people that get worse than others, so it looks like they get better. I heard this out of the mouth of numerous professional cyclists by the way.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-23-13, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Because the last week has all the decisive stages.

And like I said, EVERYONE gets worse. Just some people that get worse than others, so it looks like they get better.
i could bring hundreds of examples for my opinion. but i won't do it
stick with yours,i will stick with mine
Old 01-23-13, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
i could bring hundreds of examples for my opinion. but i won't do it
stick with yours,i will stick with mine
Scientific blood tests don't lie. Of course your examples would be of cyclists artificially keeping their haematocrit around a particular level, proving my point even further.
Quote:
Old 01-23-13, 18:24

Being fresh and getting better or worse during a GT is not totally the same thing especially if you enter a GT in bad shape. Ofcourse they wont be as fresh at day 20 as you were at day 1. You can however be better.
Old 01-23-13, 18:50

What are your thoughts about today race? And how the profile looks like?

Breakaway, sprint or a late attack?